Get A Load of This

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Get A Load of This

Post by Homer »

Phoenix area range, hotter than hot afternoon last week, slight wind that stopped for these three shots, 100 yards, Barnes TSX FN 150 grain 30-30 bullet, Winchester 748 Powder, Winchester Standard Large Rifle primer, R-P Case, nothing special - routine reload, off bench with range provided bags - nothing special, Marlin 336 (1970's era I think), 20" barrel, made in Japan Tasco 3X9 Variable scope, and a frustrated shooter (sighting in was going bad with other bullets and I didn't want to use too many Barnes because of their price - but said "what the heck.")

This sub-half inch group was preceded by a two shots in one hole exercise at 50 yards which got me thinking I might be able to do something cool at 100 yards.

Anyway, this is simply to show what a right combination can do in an old Marlin that's been around the desert a time or two. Oh, and BTW, the previous load, using different bullets, shot 2.5 - 3.0 inch groups (but shoots well in my old Ted Williams 30-30) and made me think my scope was bum or loose or something. The TSX FN load's accuracy was stumbled upon and not a result of fine tuning or well planned thought or anything resembling good fancy reloading.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
1894c

Re: Get A Load of This

Post by 1894c »

me likes that allot...good shooting with a great cartridge... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Homer wrote:The TSX FN load's accuracy was stumbled upon and not a result of fine tuning or well planned thought or anything resembling good fancy reloading.
I think that is the way most of my accurate loads come about - not through any intellectual exercise on my part... :oops:

Kinda cool when it happens, though, huh...!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI & WELCOME

Great shooting!!!

When I do that I feel good, :o then the next time I try it I cant keep it in the Black :lol:

ollogger
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

WELCOME!! great shooting and a great load.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome and WOW :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good to see you about again. And good shooting of course, would not expect any less.

Coming thru in January, will you be around?

Grizz
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Homer are you back among us? Or are you a different Homer :?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

good shooting
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

SWEET!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

"Outstanding shooting. Get you a case of beer for that one"

Pop
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's either great shooting, or time to buy those Lotto tickets!!! :P :P But, your instincts are spot on, Winch LR primers, Win 748, 150 grain bullets of good quality only need good reloading practices to have great results.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Grizz wrote:Good to see you about again. And good shooting of course, would not expect any less.

Coming thru in January, will you be around?

Grizz
Hi Grizz: I should be around in January. Give me a buzz and kill some time. Homer
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Don McDowell wrote:Homer are you back among us? Or are you a different Homer :?
Hi Ranch: I'm back among you all - older, fatter, but just a quick. :wink: Homer
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Thanks for the response guys.

I have this habit of buying what are considered "junk" or "inaccurate" rifles and trying to disprove the notion. Two weeks prior I was at the same range sighting in a Ted Williams 30/06. I topped it with a Japan made Tasco and shot old gray box (30 round "Hunters Value Pack" @ $9.95) Federal 150 grain Hi-Shok SP ammo. I managed to put 3 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards with it. And I just spent a couple days shooting doves, a lot of doves, with an old Revelation 12 gauge pump shotgun and not one dove could tell the difference between it and a Mossberg 500. I like these old store brand guns that most shops are glad (thankful in fact) to have you remove from their shops. Anyway, Micro-Groove barrels and barrel band Marlins sometimes get an undeserved bad reputation. I like it when an old woods legend is put to rest - as often happens by many members of this forum.

BTW, the load etched on the target is just a tad hot when using the Barnes TSX FN bullet in my gun. For regular cup and core bullets the load is full power but below maximum, but with the Barnes bullet it's should be considered maximum (again, at least in my rifle).
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I thought red was a 'no shoot zone' . Deduct 30 points for that!!
Great shooting though. It looks like that load will do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

Homer wrote:I have this habit of buying what are considered "junk" or "inaccurate" rifles and trying to disprove the notion.
I was about to comment on that very topic! Great shooting!

I was shooting my lever action well, long before I was told that they didn't shoot well.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Awwww, c'mon. Everybody knows 30-30s aren't that accurate.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Very nice. I managed to muster this group up when sighting in about a decade ago. 5 shots from the bench at 100 yards with a 1950's model Winchester 94 with stock iron sights. I would shoot and my buddy spotting for me would call "center, about an inch high" which is where I wanted them. Next shot same thing. After the third shot, he wouldn't tell me where I hit. He just got real serious and said "the group is good' shoot two more and take your time." I do remember it being cold as well.

I am not a bench rest kind of guy. About the only time i sit at a bench is to verify sight settings, and I never save targets. This one was a bit different. I now have some proof that a .30-30 with iron sights can do just fine. I have benched the gun a few times since then and have come close, but never matched that group. Still, I'll take it.

Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

K1500 wrote:Very nice. I managed to muster this group up when sighting in about a decade ago. 5 shots from the bench at 100 yards with a 1950's model Winchester 94 with stock iron sights.
Now, that's great shooting. I can barely see my iron sights - let alone hit anything smaller than a pizza plate at a hundred yards with it. :!:
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Homer wrote:Image
Phoenix area range, hotter than hot afternoon last week, slight wind that stopped for these three shots, 100 yards, Barnes TSX FN 150 grain 30-30 bullet, Winchester 748 Powder, Winchester Standard Large Rifle primer, R-P Case, nothing special - routine reload, off bench with range provided bags - nothing special, Marlin 336 (1970's era I think), 20" barrel, made in Japan Tasco 3X9 Variable scope, and a frustrated shooter (sighting in was going bad with other bullets and I didn't want to use too many Barnes because of their price - but said "what the heck.")

This sub-half inch group was preceded by a two shots in one hole exercise at 50 yards which got me thinking I might be able to do something cool at 100 yards.

Anyway, this is simply to show what a right combination can do in an old Marlin that's been around the desert a time or two. Oh, and BTW, the previous load, using different bullets, shot 2.5 - 3.0 inch groups (but shoots well in my old Ted Williams 30-30) and made me think my scope was bum or loose or something. The TSX FN load's accuracy was stumbled upon and not a result of fine tuning or well planned thought or anything resembling good fancy reloading.

Must be a fake - after all "everybody" knows those lever guns aren't very accurate!!! :mrgreen:
What year is this one? I have a M336 in 32 special that was made in 1952 & it shoots pretty much the same.

Groups like this sure embarres some bolt guns, eh? :o
Merle from PA
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Homer wrote:Thanks for the response guys.

I have this habit of buying what are considered "junk" or "inaccurate" rifles and trying to disprove the notion. Two weeks prior I was at the same range sighting in a Ted Williams 30/06. I topped it with a Japan made Tasco and shot old gray box (30 round "Hunters Value Pack" @ $9.95) Federal 150 grain Hi-Shok SP ammo. I managed to put 3 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards with it. And I just spent a couple days shooting doves, a lot of doves, with an old Revelation 12 gauge pump shotgun and not one dove could tell the difference between it and a Mossberg 500. I like these old store brand guns that most shops are glad (thankful in fact) to have you remove from their shops. Anyway, Micro-Groove barrels and barrel band Marlins sometimes get an undeserved bad reputation. I like it when an old woods legend is put to rest - as often happens by many members of this forum.

BTW, the load etched on the target is just a tad hot when using the Barnes TSX FN bullet in my gun. For regular cup and core bullets the load is full power but below maximum, but with the Barnes bullet it's should be considered maximum (again, at least in my rifle).

Yep, and there are some very good bargains to be had that way.... :lol:
Merle from PA
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Yes, they can shoot a lot better than most folks give them credit for. I had been working off the bench that day with a Mini 14 and 3x9 Weaver scope that would throw annoying fliers. The Winchester group was my last group of the day. After shooting it, I turned to my friend and asked why I'm messing around with this Mini when the Winchester can do that. He didn't have a very good answer!