Would this work?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Would this work?

Post by handirifle »

I have a Win 94 BB in 375, top eject. The rear sight was mounted in a dovetail.

My eyesight is such that past 50 yds I'm pretty hopeless with any type of iron/peep sight. I can hit big things but shooting for groups is a joke.

Anyway, I've toyed with the idea for some time of having the front of the receiver drilled and tapped and going with an XS scout mount. Not REALLY wanting to do this, I've tried to think of alternatives.

Here's a pic of the Henry 17HMR

Look closely at the cantelever scope mount. It's steel, and mounted through two screw holes in the base. They mount it directly to the barrel.

What I had in mind, is drill and tap a dovetail plug, make a steel plate that conforms to the barrel, and drill and tap IT to match the Henry scope base. The steel plate would be mounted to the dovetail plug with the ONE SCREW.

Was thinking of mounting a red dot scope to this. Do you guys think the one screw would hold up the the recoil of the 375? I wouldn't want to rip out the dovetail either.

Is this a lame idea?

I have another idea too, that's not quite so lame.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I think you would need that second scew. Also you need to have enough clearence being that it is top eject ( but you know this better then me).
Not a lame idea.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't think you could get enough support for a cantilever mount mounted like that. How about if you looked at someone's installation of a scout setup on a Marlin and see if that helps any. I haven't looked, does anyone make an off the shelf set up for that?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Jeremy
The clearance wouldn't be an issue cause it would be farther forward on the Winchester. And I did wonder about the second screw.

Rusty,
The Marlin setup uses the two holes already drilled and tapped in the front of the receiver of a Marlin. They're not there on the Winchester top eject model.

That's what I was trying to decide whether or not to do and was TRYING to avoid with this idea.

Kinda what I thought, so back to the drawing board.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, the combination of recoil and sight inertia would eventually loosen the dovetail by pounding the lips up & out of true.

What has worked for me, on a top-eject .375 BB94 (is there any other kind ? :mrgreen: ), is to D/T the top of the rear half of the bolt for a short Weaver scope base (one base of a 2-base set), and mount the red dot there.

When I did it, there was no such animal as a "red dot" sight, as we know them - just the (then new) Weaver Quick Point brush hook.
I mounted a short 2x Beeman SS1 scope - similar to what was on EBR's.

If I did it today, I'd use a reflex sight, like a Docter Optic, Trijicon, or Leupold if I had the scratch - but a JPoint, which is a clone of the Tasco Optima I once had, is very affordable:

http://www.eabco.com/jpoint01.html
Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

The idea sounds good, but I don't think one screw will hold the set up, especially with the caliber that you are using. But keep thinking you are on the right track!! Good luck!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

There is a special weaver set up for the 94 big bore for scope mount. I have a scope on my winchester big bore in 307. If your interested I'll look up the part numbers-- I bought an extra set as I figured they would not always be available and I have a NIB 94 timber carbine in .444 marlin.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here is something I did for a customer upon request about 8 years ago:

Made a contoured base with two weaver notches above to sit on the barrel, with a dovetail wedge below it. The dovetail wedge slid into the dovetail notch. A screw went through the base into the dovetail (there was a hole d/t right in the middle of the dovetail notch. A second screw went through the base into the barrel at the back end of the base. If you removed the base and put a rear sight in the dovetail, there would only be one hole in the barrel, for which I made a plug with a small slotted head that sat flush. Once the base was on, conventional dovetail rings would work on the base.

The gun was a 9.3X74R bolt gun. We mounted a scope and sighted it in. It held. I never heard from the customer again so I guess he was happy with it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

buckeyeshooter wrote:There is a special weaver set up for the 94 big bore for scope mount. I have a scope on my winchester big bore in 307. If your interested I'll look up the part numbers-- I bought an extra set as I figured they would not always be available and I have a NIB 94 timber carbine in .444 marlin.
It's the Weaver 3C. Made for the 375 only. It does not fit my 356, I thought it would. I have a new one I got on ebay for $12. Yours if you want it. $12

Takes a standard weaver side mount set of rings.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com