Double gun Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Double gun Rifle

Post by ollogger »

Any body been around a side x side Baikal ?
Had the chance to shoot a few rounds today out of a 30-06, I thought the gun was
well made but was very stiff when you went to open it
shot across a little canyon at a bowling pin that was laying there at bout 130 yd
first shot was a bit high 2nd shot was a hit, I was happy with that for off hand shooting
with a strange gun, The gun fit me well & for the price I may be interested in one
I was kind of impressed with it, But other than they did make them for Remington
I know nothing about them
Good - bad or stay away Welcome any comments

ollogger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Double gun Rifle

Post by TedH »

Never handled one, but I would like one of the 45-70. There was a member here that had one a while back, he'll probably chime in. What I've read of them, they aren't bad for the money, but don't expect true European double gun quality.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:Never handled one, but I would like one of the 45-70. There was a member here that had one a while back, he'll probably chime in. What I've read of them, they aren't bad for the money, but don't expect true European double gun quality.
Same here. I've been dying to buy a .45-70 version. Decided to play with slugs and my 20 ga s x s for a while first.

I wonder if the action could be loosened up some. I've noticed the same issue with CZ shotguns like the bobwhite 16 Ga s x s

I'll be watching this thread with interest
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What that tells me is
1) You can shoot brother
2) That gun is pretty darn accurate------a bowling pin offhand @ 130yds with an open sighted double------grab that one! :wink:

Would be interested with you shooting on a bench at paper sighting both shots on bull to see where exactly that gun shoots and how well regulated the barrels are????????(I believe those double they usually regulate them at a certain given distance such as 50 or 75 yds etc. ??

That second shot did you adjust the aim or still hold on target like first shot??????

Any way you slice it---------------------------great shooting
Stiffness to opening------to me(kinda a good thing)-------that should just tell me either the gun tolerances in that area are pretty tight or pretty HD built or both and with some use---------------she should loosen up!

The Stoeger's least the older ones made I know of were usually like that too! (and with use ended up perfect)

Love break open guns! :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The wife has a Baikal/Remington 12 gauge shot gun she use for SASS and to repel boarders. The gun has been slicked up by shortening the cocking rods so the gun hangs open enough to reload. Polished and chamfered chambers too so not stock. She really likes it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

some day when I have the scratch for the itch I'm going to order a pair of liners for my old damascus double do that it will shoot 7.62x54R...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Go over on Accurate Reloading forums, to the double gun section and you can find all about the gun. Those that have them, IIRC, like them. They are quite stiff new, but eventually loosen up, and can be quite accurate for such a gun. The fence is split on the 45-70. Some say the barrels at the muzzle are too thin and the gun is too light, but others like theirs.

I have one of the 12ga/308 O/U combo guns, and the rifle barrel is very accurate, about 1"@100 for three shots.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had one in 45-70. Nice fun. Limited to factory/ Springfield loads. Gun is regulated by a pair of screws. They do loosen up after shooting. Plastic sights seem fragile. Did not balance like other double rifles. Nice guns for the money and would clearly make an enjoyable hunting rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Seems to me like a gun you would get tired of after a day at the range, kinda like a machine gun. I'll stick to my leverguns.--------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Only advantage I know for a double gun is double locks and quick second shot for a stopping rifle - not sure of any advantage for a 30-06 but anything for some gum fun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

madman4570 wrote:What that tells me is
1) You can shoot brother
2) That gun is pretty darn accurate------a bowling pin offhand @ 130yds with an open sighted double------grab that one! :wink:

Would be interested with you shooting on a bench at paper sighting both shots on bull to see where exactly that gun shoots and how well regulated the barrels are????????(I believe those double they usually regulate them at a certain given distance such as 50 or 75 yds etc. ??

That second shot did you adjust the aim or still hold on target like first shot??????

Any way you slice it---------------------------great shooting
Stiffness to opening------to me(kinda a good thing)-------that should just tell me either the gun tolerances in that area are pretty tight or pretty HD built or both and with some use---------------she should loosen up!

The Stoeger's least the older ones made I know of were usually like that too! (and with use ended up perfect)

Love break open guns! :mrgreen:

Most strange guns I shoot will go high, the 2nd shot I held a bit low
jay told me the gun will do less than 2 in. at a 100 with a mix of reloads -factory & surplus ammo
he had to adjust 1 barrel to make it shoot, but its a simple step
he is kinda like me has a bunch of toys, But don't have em all

Six Gun I love my Levers, But

Ive never had a 30-06 & I need one to futher my silly quest to hunt & shoot game with as many
different chamber sizes as I can before I cant, hopefully with out a scope
so the little double is a great candidate,

ollogger
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Like Thunder 50 who posted above I have a 12 gauge over .308 and I like the combo gun very much.I find it to be accurate.
Mine was purchased in April this year and I have not shot it a lot and it still is tight to open.I am told by those who have them that they do eventually loosen up.
I am impressed with all aspects of the Baikal line.I would buy another one.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My Dream Double rifle is a Chapuis UGEX in 9.3 x 74R plenty enough oomph for our largest boars and Vancouver bulls here, as well as any North American, Aussie, or dark continent game animals on my bucket list. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ji, they are nice. Had one in that caliber with chamber inserts so I could shoot 9mm makorov in it also. Plinking and big game fun!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ji; and the rest of you guys that like doubles. Go on Kittery Trading Post and check out the Merkel double in 30/06 in the used guns section. I could sell off all my other rifles and be happy with this as my 1 and only. I've fondled both the 45/70 and '06 Baikal doubles. Seemed nice and lively.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:My Dream Double rifle is a Chapuis UGEX in 9.3 x 74R plenty enough oomph for our largest boars and Vancouver bulls here, as well as any North American, Aussie, or dark continent game animals on my bucket list. :wink:

Ji,
I love the 9.3 caliber. I have the 9.3x62mm in Mauser bolt actions, it's the ballistic twin of the 9.3x74R.

Paco has a few stories about when he was in Africa using the 9.3x62 in a bolt gun. There is a 9.3x57mm, but I would rather have the extra 250-300 ftps in the longer 9.3x62 case.

Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My 9.3x72R is the ignored BP stepchild of the 9.3 fan club... but I like it ....

My short chambered 16ga double over the .358 Win BP equivalent 9.3 (drilling) does just fine... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ollogger ,
I know what you mean by playing with all of the different cartridges. Its a disease.

I might be unloading some 1895's in a short while. Guns I've had most of life. In the bunch are 30-40's, 30-06's and a real nice 35 WCF takedown.------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun wrote:Ollogger ,
I know what you mean by playing with all of the different cartridges. Its a disease.

I might be unloading some 1895's in a short while. Guns I've had most of life. In the bunch are 30-40's, 30-06's and a real nice 35 WCF takedown.------------6

:? oh great :? let me know
NO 95% guns this time!!! And if Boots gets wind of this
DONT SELL HER A GUN :lol:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ji nice taste in a double, I also have a dream rifle but im not willing to sell
off my heard to put a down payment on it

mean while im going to Kitterys to drool

Thanks 3 legg I think

ollogger
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I did own a made in USSR Baikal 12 gauge SxS for a few years my favorite Chukar gun while living on Maui built like a T-34 Tank a tad heavy but indestructible. Had to sell her for plane fair money for my final trip to see mom before she passed on. I have had the Baikal 45/70 SxS on a saved search on Gunbroker for YEARS probably one of my first topics on Leverguns back in 2003. I though it would be fun to extend the chamber to 45/110 and shoot 500 grain black powder loads. One of my many unrealized dreams.

The Chapuis UGEX I believe is relatively affordable as SxSs go starting at around $5250.00
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Chapui ... =100364590
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Another option is to find yourself a discontinued Baikal "Bounty Hunter" 12g Side by side and buy the 45-70 insert tubes from EAA. They still have some in stock. I did just that and have a wonderful, well made, heavy, low recoil, double 45-70. I added sights, a recoil pad and inserted sling swivels and just love shooting it with 535grain bullets over a full case of black powder............Bwana! All for under $600

50 yards off hand, quick reload....

Lots more pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/thi ... -bounty-h/
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com