Things that make you go "Hmmm...?"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Things that make you go "Hmmm...?"

Post by FWiedner »

Noticed about two weeks ago that my CHL was getting ready to expire.

Logged onto the state web-site to start a renewal application and they generated a handy dandy checklist of stuff I was required to give them before they'd process my application.

The major Item was several hours of 'training" and a competency exam at a local range.

Not really a biggie, I just had to find a place with a class available that I could participate in and get paperwork to the state before my license expired.

State passed a new law, that after 2010 on a third or subsequent renewal you only have to get refresher training every 10 years. Wonderful, I thinks. My last refresher was in 2008.

So I take the class. Again, no biggie, because I like the subject. Listened to a cop talk about the law and deadly force, and then sent 50 rounds down-range at a B27 target close enough to spit on. Score 249 of 250 with my Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45ACP.

Now I've got the certificate. I carefully attach it to the barcoded checklist thing that the state gave me. GIVE US THIS, OR WE WON'T GIVE YOU THAT, it says.

Mid-day Saturday, I've got my pile of paper for the state. I stuff it into an envelope and apply a stamp. No mail on Sunday.

Monday morning, I put the package into my mail box for the route carrier.

Monday afternoon, I come home and my renewal license is in the mailbox waiting for me.

Dang.

That's either great service or... ?

:?

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Things that make you go "Hmmm...?"

Post by Blaine »

And the problem is...... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's not that I don't appreciate it.

I'm just trying to figure out if I didn't really need to take the training, or if it will be reflected in my record, or if I'm gonna get a letter that says "Ooops".

Did a human intervene and decide that I've been "trained' recently enough? Did they ignore their own computer generated 'gimme' notice?

Long as it's in my pocket I'm good. Really.

But one does wonder.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

But one does wonder.
Don't let your mind wonder....it's much too little to be out on it's own :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I ordered the BIG BOOK from MSC a few years ago, called it in around 9AM, about 3 PM here comes the UPS truck with the book. I still haven't figured that one out. " Hmmm...?" is right.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Put in some VA paperwork 2 years ago....have not heard a thing. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

BlaineG wrote:Put in some VA paperwork 2 years ago....have not heard a thing. :roll:
Send it to FW and let him send it in, you'll have your response yesterday :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The whole program is just
  • a) a legal butt-covering saying the state tried to be sure you were competent
    b) a way to appease hoplophobic constituents that they are going to 'improve gun safety'
    c) an excuse to make work for taxpaid employees who could otherwise do something useful
    d) a program which can be 'toughened' with higher fees and standards until nobody qualifies
a) is unfortunately necessary in this day and age, though I think it is a shame
b) is typical politics-as-usual, appearance trumps substance, harmless but also useless
c) is a tangible waste of money and small harm, hopefully offset by the benefits of a)

It is d) that I have trouble with - it always seems to incrementally worsen until the fees are outrageous, in order to fund what amounts to symbolic and worthless fluff.

Yes, it would be nice to have a practical Masaad Ayoob style program on legalities and practicalities, and a session on safe gun handling. I'd be all for it, but when the government is in charge, you can bet it will not be efficient nor serve its stated purpose in the long run.

I have yet to see any evidence such programs do reduce firearms accidents, either. Perhaps they do, but perhaps not, and perhaps down the road they may cause general civilian disarmament and lead to genocide, so I'm not wanting to assume the program is 'good' unless someone can prove it; especially if I have to pay for it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

TX just revised the CHL requirements for renewal in the last session that ended Aug 5th. I don't remember the exact details but one thing was that there is a longer period between renewals, another is reduced classroom and range hours and lastly an abbreviated training requirement for renewal. You must have been within those new parameters.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J35nut wrote:I ordered the BIG BOOK from MSC a few years ago, called it in around 9AM, about 3 PM here comes the UPS truck with the book. I still haven't figured that one out. " Hmmm...?" is right.

----J
As a comparison, I ordered something from a company about ten miles from my home. Paid for next day USPS. Well, after a trip to Eureka, California (many mile north) it showed up five days later. And the USPS wonders why they are losing business. And, the USPS doesn't really mean next day, they mean whenever it gets to you, and they will not refund the extra postage when they screw up. Only the government can take your money and not give you the service you paid for with impunity.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

jeepnik wrote:
J35nut wrote:I ordered the BIG BOOK from MSC a few years ago, called it in around 9AM, about 3 PM here comes the UPS truck with the book. I still haven't figured that one out. " Hmmm...?" is right.

----J
As a comparison, I ordered something from a company about ten miles from my home. Paid for next day USPS. Well, after a trip to Eureka, California (many mile north) it showed up five days later. And the USPS wonders why they are losing business. And, the USPS doesn't really mean next day, they mean whenever it gets to you, and they will not refund the extra postage when they screw up. Only the government can take your money and not give you the service you paid for with impunity.
I don't know along time ago when AZ used to be the land of the free, I used to ship Game Fowl all over the US by overnight express mail, about 50% of the time they failed and I would get my shipping money refunded, it used to average about $30 a bird and I shipped as high as 15 at a time. Pretty good bonus. They never lost a bird or let any die, but their overnight turned into 3 days more than once.

I know the USPS is a long way from perfect but I believe they still provide a good service and a great value.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana just established a "Lifetime" CCW license, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they figure out that they won't be getting all that renewal-revenue, and will come up with some sort of way to extract money from the holders of those Lifetime CCW permits.

Still, in a state with a population of about 6 million, I'm told around 400,000 have CCW licenses, so that's probably about one out of every ten adults. Not a good place to assault or rape or terrorize (unless you're in an airport, government building, school, or business with a 'no firearms allowed' policy... :roll: :evil: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I renewed back in March and TX took 2 months. I had fun with the target and was the only one in the class to shoot one handed and use my weak side hand with a compact S&W M99 in .40 cal. Care to guess who had the highest score in the class? Even the instructor thought I was left handed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost