Choices!!! Just sold one of my EVIL Black Rifles..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Choices!!! Just sold one of my EVIL Black Rifles..

Post by 2ndovc »

Now what to do.

I've been thinking I needed a 71 but upon further reflecton I decided I DON"T need or want another caliber, I have enough already.

Sooo,

I've been hanging out on the davidson's site and really been looking at the 1886 TD and the 95 SRC in 30-40 Krag. I reload for both so that's not an issue but I can't make up my mind. 95's are my favoirte but I don't have an '86.

Then there's a couple used Shilo Sharps that I've been looking at too!

What say the Group?
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

SHARPS!!!! :D unless you already have one then I would say the 86.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I'm with JReed.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Wow what a choice!!! I would say go with the 1886 in 45-70 first unless you have one. The Sharps repros are great but these seem to be around used and the price is hanging about the same for several years I got one for $700. The 1886 though seems to be going up all the time. I had and opportunity to get an original in .33 WCF last year for $1100 now I cant touch one for $2,000.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JReed wrote:SHARPS!!!! :D unless you already have one then I would say the 86.
Kinda my thinking too. There's a Shilo, Saddle Ring Carbine I have my eye on that's really getting me going!

Heavy thinking :D

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

505stevec wrote:Wow what a choice!!! I would say go with the 1886 in 45-70 first unless you have one. The Sharps repros are great but these seem to be around used and the price is hanging about the same for several years I got one for $700. The 1886 though seems to be going up all the time. I had and opportunity to get an original in .33 WCF last year for $1100 now I cant touch one for $2,000.

OK,where did you find a Shiloh Sharps for $700.00 ?! I never find bargains that good. :cry:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

For the price of only $700, that is a real bargain!!!! If all is OK with the rifle, I would jump on that real quick!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I didn't read a Shiloh Sharps for $700, I read a reproduction Sharps for $700.

I suggest the Shiloh. Kind of like a lever, once you get one you can't go back.
Old Law Dawg
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I would probably go for the '86. I don't know why, but it would be neat to have.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I think I would suggest the 86 also.
But I just have to ask, what EBR did you cut loose?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

No question, go with the 1886!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

1886 without a doubt. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd probably go with the 1886 as well.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

salvo wrote:I think I would suggest the 86 also.
But I just have to ask, what EBR did you cut loose?
I had two M-14/M1As and I noticed that since I got my SOCOM 16 I hadn't touched the the National Match in over a year. Great rifle but it was time for something else..

Still thinking Sharps though. Gonna have to make up my mind :D

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

For me the 1886 is just too heavy for a levergun. They are pretty.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason,

Here is my unbiased opinion: :D the Sharps, A shiloh sharps at that. You will never regret the decision. Now, The 1886 is an awesome rilfe and if you don't have one, sell that other ugly black gun and get a browning 1886 SRC - bound to be in consideration as one of the nicest lever guns ever. But get the sharps first!!!!!

Good luck with your choice. What Caliber are you thinking to get?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Ooops I didnt read Shilo Sharps. I have no experience with them other than they are extremly expensive and i cant afford one. In the end you will not regret either decision. Just go for it :D :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:Jason,

Here is my unbiased opinion: :D the Sharps, A shiloh sharps at that. You will never regret the decision. Now, The 1886 is an awesome rilfe and if you don't have one, sell that other ugly black gun and get a browning 1886 SRC - bound to be in consideration as one of the nicest lever guns ever. But get the sharps first!!!!!

Good luck with your choice. What Caliber are you thinking to get?
Thanks Mike!

The caliber is the easy part for me. Has to be 45-70 :D

8)

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I would never have sold a BR, especially an M1A, and especially a match. May not use it now, but try buying one in 3 years. You will still be able to buy a breech loader in 10 years. I would discourage anyone from following this example.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

sore shoulder wrote:I would never have sold a BR, especially an M1A, and especially a match. May not use it now, but try buying one in 3 years. You will still be able to buy a breech loader in 10 years. I would discourage anyone from following this example.

wasn't looking for opinions on what I shouldn't have done.

I have more than enough long range and combat style arms that one well used fifteen pound match rifle won't be missed.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2ndovc wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I would never have sold a BR, especially an M1A, and especially a match. May not use it now, but try buying one in 3 years. You will still be able to buy a breech loader in 10 years. I would discourage anyone from following this example.

wasn't looking for opinions on what I shouldn't have done.

I have more than enough long range and combat style arms that one well used fifteen pound match rifle won't be missed.
It's the internet. Get used to unwanted opinions.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

2ndovc,
The winchester 1886 deluxe takedown is a very beautiful rifle. The fit, finish and wood grain are beyond description. The 1895 in 30-40 is a very nice reproduction and the wood does have some figure to it.
Unlike you, I have been purchasing these and I feel I shouldd be buying 'black rifles". I got the 1895 in the case colored takedown in 30-06, a carbine in 30-40 and 30-06 and the 1886 deluxe takedown in 45/70 in full octogon. The gun is so pretty, I think I am going to buy another --- but will need to decide if I want the set -- a 1/2 round 1/2 octogon or another full octogon.
My suggestion goes to the 1886 deluxe takedown. It is really a recreation of a past era. The only down sides on the repros is the tang safety and rebounding hammer. The trigger pull on any of mine is fine and i have had no misfires with the 30-06 carbine-- which is the only one I have shot.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

If I got the OK from the missus to trade our one black rifle for a .45-70, I would go for a Shiloh Sharps, but that is not based on any actual experience with Sharps other than fondling them at the local gun shop. I need permission because she bought our black rifle; I can certainly sell or trade anything I bought, unless it has been gifted to her, or, uh, "requisitioned" by her. Being married to a shooter is a mixed blessing.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Choices!!! Just sold one of my EVIL Black Rifles..

Post by CraigC »

2ndovc wrote:What say the Group?
I'd say you're in trouble! I've got an 1895 .405 that is a wonderful rifle so the weakness for that model is strong. Those .30-40 carbines are mighty tempting! The `86 is too and I don't have one yet so given a choice between the two, I'd probably go with it for something new and different.

I get bit by the Evil Black Rifle Disease bug every now and then. I'm coming down off a case of it right now. I figure everybody needs one good one, even if it ain't their thang. So far, I've managed to get through it without buying but it's been tough and gets tougher every time. I decided to turn my 10/22 into an evil black rifle for a cheap fix. Now that it's subsiding, I'm thinking about that 1876 replica in .50-95...hard. Trip to Florida last month there were two of them sighted. The fever is settling in. Quick, somebody tell me how much work it is to form brass for the .50-95!!! :D