Bob on a Fence Post

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Bob on a Fence Post

Post by redlevel42 »

Mr. Robert White surveying his domain. I was riding a fence line on the golf cart when Bob fluttered up and "lit" on the fence. The hen and her brood could be heard dispersing through the grass. These are some of God's most wonderful little birds. The male helps raise the brood, and will even sit on the eggs until they hatch if something happens to the female. I saw this one early this week, about 8:30 in the morning. A few days before, I saw a pretty good size covey, probably 12-14 birds. They weren't hatchlings, so they must have been a couple of successful early broods that have already "covey-ed up." Apparently the rain has been good for them, because I am seeing a good many young broods. I do my best to provide food and cover for quail. I believe the worst enemy they have in most of Georgia is feral cats. I have gotten to the point where I'm hesitant to shoot a coyote because coyotes eat a bunch of feral cats.

Anyhow . . . . . . . "Oh Bob White!" The real Song of the South.

Georgia On My Mind
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bob on a Fence Post

Post by Rusty »

Between the yotes, the bobcats, and the fire ants we don't have any around here any more. :cry:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice! I was teenager when I seen my covey of quail in Wisconsin.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I miss them. Used to have them in my yard all the time untell they built the golf course out back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Very thin population here in NE OK. Lots of reasons but I have watched as a cattle egret at every chick in a hatch. Not much we can do about that 'cause they're "protected". Brush hogs may be their greatest enemy as the fence rows were their best cover. Now I see some local ranchers having their hands weed eat the fence rows for the last foot or so they can't get with the brush hog. I much prefer the quail.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

We have several right around the house, love to hear them. On my health walks I regularly flush 2 different covies. Surprises me they are still here with the coyotes and fire ants here locally.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

M. M. Wright wrote:Very thin population here in NE OK. Lots of reasons but I have watched as a cattle egret at every chick in a hatch. Not much we can do about that 'cause they're "protected". Brush hogs may be their greatest enemy as the fence rows were their best cover. Now I see some local ranchers having their hands weed eat the fence rows for the last foot or so they can't get with the brush hog. I much prefer the quail.
Fences are expensive to build and maintain. Unchecked brush, weeds, and grass can hasten the deterioation of fences. I keep mine sprayed with glyphosate to maintain a clean fence line.

There are other ways rather than letting fences grow up to keep good habitat. Brush piles, plum thickets, and weed patches are a few. You are correct about the bush hog. Quail's best friends are probably fire and a disc harrow. Late fall harrowing and burning pines every few years both encourage early successional vegetation, which is what quail need to thrive.
Georgia On My Mind
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Quail numbers have been thin at my place after five years of drought. I saw about 60 or 70 quail last week though after almost eight inches of rain, they are making a comeback. My favorite hunting is dove season, and we are having a banner year with the tanks full and sunflowers thick, this post has me fired up!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Glad for the quail. I saw 3 at my place in central texas, Memorial Day. Was elated to say the least. I will continue to provide the habitat they need to survive. Maybe someday the numbers may again support taking a few for dinner.

TomF
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have a few around my place in E VA, seems like May is when they are most vocal here, should have chicks on the ground now.

S AZ has a Masked Bob White they are on the endangered list, I seen two in my 40 + years living there.

But the Mearns, Scalies and Gambles are usually plentiful even in supposedly bad years I could always find them when I wanted some.

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

Beautiful bird that brings back great memories. Sad that the population is way too thin in my part of the south :cry: