PRICE CHECK - very old Marlin in 32 Spcl needs valuing &

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - very old Marlin in 32 Spcl needs valuing &

Post by sore shoulder »

SN is 4 digit starting with four. Rifle is an 1894, straight grip. May have been rebarreled. I have not seen it, and potential buyer has seen it once, no pictures.

EDIT: I FORGOT TO MENTION, THIS RIFLE HAS NO WOOD AND THE HAMMER SPRING IS MISSING. OWNER WANTS $450.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Holy stuff, did my thread titled just get moderated? :?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:Holy stuff, did my thread titled just get moderated? :?
Holy stuff, yes it was! Just to help you out a bit.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Holy stuff, did my thread titled just get moderated? :?
Holy stuff, yes it was! Just to help you out a bit.
No problem Hobie, just razzin as I fugured it was you, except it kicked the need for ID off the title, which I was hoping to draw in MM93 with. :lol: I'm sure it'll work out either way.
11B30
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

If it's an 1894 it's not 32 Special - it'd either be in 32-20 or it's a model 1893.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Killer Kanuck wrote:If it's an 1894 it's not 32 Special - it'd either be in 32-20 or it's a model 1893.
Right. I think the confusion comes from the square bolt. So were the 1893's in fact produced in 32 Spcl?
11B30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, the 93s were produced in .32 WS.

Don't worry about a "razzin'" as that is what I figured it was and responded in kind! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie, do you have a link on those 93 32 Spcls? Did the Leverguns archive of old levers make it over here?
11B30
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

If everything but the wood & spring is there I'd probubly jump on it.
If the bores good I'd definately get it. Hell I'd probably buy it anyway regardless. Are the sights there?
Woods available & Wisners will sell you all the mainsprings you want.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Leverdude wrote:If everything but the wood & spring is there I'd probubly jump on it.
If the bores good I'd definately get it. Hell I'd probably buy it anyway regardless. Are the sights there?
Thats what I figured Ken. Seems I recall you've gotten the 93 bug yourself over the last couple years. do you have a 32 Spcl?
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Also Ken, I have no idea on the sights. Major deal or no?
11B30
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

sore shoulder wrote:
Leverdude wrote:If everything but the wood & spring is there I'd probubly jump on it.
Thats what I figured Ken. Seems I recall you've gotten the 93 bug yourself over the last couple years. do you have a 32 Spcl?
Nope, I have a 32/40 tho.
Also Ken, I have no idea on the sights. Major deal or no?
I dont think its a major deal but you can use it to negotiate. Like most of these things it comes down to how bad you want it & how bad he wants to sell it. For me, if it had everything & the bore was good I'd have a very very hard time not buying it.
In decent shape completed I bet you could get $700 or better. Thats just a guess as I buy pieces & put them together. I bought just one 1893 38/55 thats original & paid $700 for it. I dont know if 32's are more or less in demand.

If that guns shootable & all it needs is wood & a spring then it'll only run you a little more than $550 total if you fit & finish the wood.

I'd probably wave $300 or $350 in front of his face & see what hapenned.
Last edited by Leverdude on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ken I think at this point what we have is a 93 in 32 Spcl misidentified as a 94 due to the square bolt. Hope MM93 shows up soon to square us away, as it were. :lol:
11B30
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If it's in good shape, with a good bore, some finish left on blued parts, and not a rust bucket, then i's a fair price. But if you have to pay someone to restock it, then I;d pass. f you can o that work yourself, and have it come out good, then you wont be in it too deep.
Now sights are always a concern to me. The originl Marlin sights are hard to find, and cost big bucks to buy. Not unusual to pay $200 for a set of German silver blade front and buckhorn rear with correct elevator!
So that's $650, plus $135 for wood, and $30 for a repro buttplate. So if you put it all together yourself, you'll be out $815. That's about what i would be worth, but not any more thn that, so not a bargain, but a fair price.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/