Advice on Gun Belt For Field

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Advice on Gun Belt For Field

Post by jkbrea »

I recently bought a Ruger New Blackhawk .357 and have a nice holster for it. I'm looking for a belt to hang it on when hiking, hunting, etc. I really don't need 25 cartridge loops but can't seem to find one with less. I was thinking about getting a plain one and adding a slide on cartridge holder. What are you guys using in the field for carrying a sidearm?
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Advice on Gun Belt For Field

Post by piller »

Uncle Mike's nylon holster with loops for my belt. An MTM ammo wallet and I am good to go.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just use the regular leather belt that holds my pants up. Usually 'cross-draw' since it doesn't get in the way if I'm using a shovel or hit the tractor seat.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:I just use the regular leather belt that holds my pants up. Usually 'cross-draw' since it doesn't get in the way if I'm using a shovel or hit the tractor seat.
Yep, don't need another belt if not necessary. I've also just used the "fanny pack" to hold the holster. And, back in the day, when goin' after bad guys, wore the shoulder holster with "ol' slabsides"! Still useful and comfortable... well, ok, after ya get used to it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Check out this belt, much heavier than a normal pants belt and just as comfortable. I wear one every day.
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/ ... parent=670

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:I've also just used the "fanny pack" to hold the holster.
Good idea - I keep a couple fanny-packs for mushroom hunting or other hiking or birdwatching tasks, and it would be easy enough to keep a holster on one.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As Simply Rugged has already been mentioned, I'd like to suggest you also look at some of the custom guys such as

http://levergunleather.com/
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

This "Old Bull Belt" is the best belt I have ever had. Just a slab of leather, no stitching or backing to go bad. These guys make things right with the best material, their motto is "your grandchildren will fight over it" and guarantee all of their products for 100 years. Christian family that donates some of each purchase to good causes. Not cheap, but you only have to buy once. Their other products are worth checking out, quality stuff.
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Old-Bu ... egory=1280
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use a plain belt and slides.

I can use more than one holster and put different slides on as required.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have a heavy belt and I use my Simply Rugged holster on that. Holds thins high and tight. I don't want to drift too far off topic, but, I'll add that how you use your holster should be considered to. For woods walking and CC I like the Simply Rugged rig. It will keep things in place fine. If I plan to do a lot of shooting and reholstering I will still be using the same heavy belt but a different holster that's more user friendly for repeated drawing and reholstering. I hope that didn't go too far off topic.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gotta admit some of them leather belts look not only durable and practical, but right purty.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I need one that will not only go around my big waist, but expand around the winter/wet gear I wear most all the time.... except for when I don't :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy, I've been real happy with these guys ! Check out the belts.

John

http://www.westernleatherholster.com/
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I would strongly suggest you look at Wilderness Tactical Belts. They come in several widths and several levels of stiffness. I have been using one of their lighter ones to carry my Glocks on a daily basis for quite some time not. They of course, are designed to wear through the loops on your pants.

They don't have holes, but adjust their entire length to accommodate various types of clothing. Here is a link..

http://www.thewilderness.com/?p=catalog&parent=142&pg=1

If you are looking for a wider "gun belt" the web belts made by El Paso Saddlery are by far the most comfortable I have worn. You can get as many or as few cartridge looks as you want. Mine has a combination of pistol and rifle. For comfort, they beat leather seven ways to breakfast. Again, here is a link...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-28-belts.aspx
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Charles,
thanks for the good info! I've been looking at the web belts for some time.
Do you have a preference for either tapered or billeted ends, and if so, why?

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I use a plain belt (over top of my belt that I wear in my pants) with a cartridge slide. I carry my 5.5" Superblackhawk in 44Mag in a Tom Three Persons strongside. I've worked out in the woods on a hunting lease and walked through the woods and brush with this rig without any problems.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too like El Paso Saddlery. The one I like best is sold with the John Wayne rig. Forget the name they use but it is rough out leather with billet ends and sticks where you put it, soft and comfortable. It has lots of loops but I'm sure you can order it without loops or a lesser number. Would be cheaper that way.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I bought one from The Beltman http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm about 5 years ago and I like it enough I bought a second one for work.

These are some tough, well made belts and they will hold a side arm with no problem. You can order them with a stiffener sewn in if you want but mine's the regular ol' double bullhide and it holds up a SAA, Black Hawk or Smith M&P with no problem whatsoever.