45-70 Cowboy Dies...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

45-70 Cowboy Dies...

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Been doing some research on these dies. Question, I plan on loading primarily Lead-sleds in my newly acquired Browning 1886. As an option, will these also load Jacketed bullets? Most posts on other sights suggest Lee or talk about another caliber rather than the 45-70. Any clarifications would be appreciated. Big John.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 Cowboy Dies...

Post by vancelw »

I use Lyman dies for .45-70. You can load any type of bullet with them. I've loaded anything from 325 gr FTX to 535 Lyman Postell in my Browning 1886.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and I thought this was another for the tribute forum
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yeah, I took my hat off and had a sniffle as I opened the thread.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Eye-Bite! wrote:Been doing some research on these dies. Question, I plan on loading primarily Lead-sleds in my newly acquired Browning 1886. As an option, will these also load Jacketed bullets? Most posts on other sights suggest Lee or talk about another caliber rather than the 45-70. Any clarifications would be appreciated. Big John.
Yes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

Just talked with Cabela's this morning about my "Back ordered" set. Looks like it will be in that status for some time to come. 45-70 Brass is back ordered 15 weeks at the minimum and on into the unknown past then. Flea-bay here I come.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Eye-Bite! wrote:Been doing some research on these dies. Question, I plan on loading primarily Lead-sleds in my newly acquired Browning 1886. As an option, will these also load Jacketed bullets? Most posts on other sights suggest Lee or talk about another caliber rather than the 45-70. Any clarifications would be appreciated. Big John.
The only 45-70 mold you will ever need... Lyman 457122 330gr HP. :mrgreen:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/370703 ... llow-point.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

I thought this was about an Old Cow Boy, who shot a 45-70, kicking the bucket :(
I see El Chivo and 20cows, had the same thoughts.

These kind of titles are hard on us "sensitive" old men :(
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Eye-Bite! wrote:Just talked with Cabela's this morning about my "Back ordered" set. Looks like it will be in that status for some time to come. 45-70 Brass is back ordered 15 weeks at the minimum and on into the unknown past then. Flea-bay here I come.
Perhaps I can help you, Eye. A local shop has a new set of RCBS Cowboy dies (if they are still there) priced at $60. I would be happy to check if they are still there, and if so, I will buy them and ship to you for the exact cost to me. I'm guessing about $66 total. Interested?

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta