load needed for 110gn sp 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yoteassasin
Levergunner

load needed for 110gn sp 30-30

Post by yoteassasin »

ok so i just bought 2 boxes of 110 sp for my 30-30 and was wondering what y'all are using to push it and how fast you are getting out of it i was looking for 3k fps but im not so sure ill be able to get it so help me out guys thanks
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Do you mean " spire point " ?
3K?
Hold off for a while, and let the wisdom of the ages speak
yoteassasin
Levergunner

Post by yoteassasin »

no it is a round nose soft point and i was looking for 3,000 fps (i was told i could get this and by no means am i expecting to get to 3k )
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Richard Lee lists a maximum of 2725 in his second edition reloading manual.
Paco lists a maximum of 2900 in his article, http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030varmint.htm
I recommend you read this article, its good stuff
If you really need 3000 fps out of a .30 cal you might want to try a .308 or 30-06.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

gundownunder wrote: If you really need 3000 fps out of a .30 cal you might want to try a .308 or 30-06.
I don't understand the effection toward tiny(light for caliber) bullets, but I will agree with you about moving up to the bigger cartidges. I don't see anything in my One Book/One Caliber that's over 2700fps for a 110gn 30-30.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
yoteassasin
Levergunner

Post by yoteassasin »

like i said i don't need .. it i heard i could get it and it will most likely end up lower cause i want it to be acurate i just want a fun plinker that moves a little faster and carries enough onion to knock a deer on its butt if i run up on one
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

yoteassasin,

Many summers ago I came up with a bunch of 110gr RN bullets for the 30 Carbine. I loaded them in my 30-30s over a case full of Dupont (IMR) 3031.
I took the load straight out of a loading manual, but after all these years I don't remember the charge or the manual. All I know is that the charge filled the case.

A friend and I shot these from his Marlin and my Win 94 Trapper and they worked as intended. A fast stepping light bullet that killed the Arizona desert wash rocks really dead. There was one other feature that I flat loved. A three foot diameter fire ball from my Trapper. It was blinding at night.

So, grab up some older manuals and look for IMR 3031 powder and that should do it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I shoot 110 gr Sierra HPs out of my 336. Its my std coyote load. I keep the rifle sighted for this load when its at home on the ranch.
I have tried several powders and loads and found that 32.5 gr Reloader 7 gives best accuracy. Speer says 34 is max load but that is much too hot for my rifle. MV seems to vary with the seasons but is generally 2600-2625.

Bob A
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

I shoot 125-130 grain bullets out of my 30-30 but I file the nose off flat to the start of the jacket. That knocks another 4-5 grains off. For me, I'd hesitate to drop down to 110 grain bullets, for deer size animals, but that's just me.
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

I agree that that 110 gr bullets from a 30-30 are not appropriate for deer size animals. The Sierra 110 HPs are varmint bullets.
Sierra 125 HP and Speer 130 FN are the lightest big game bullets I would use in a 30-30.

Bob A
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What do y'all think deers are made off?

A .243 delivers a 100gr bullet at simliar velocities, maybe a little faster.

Is a .243 innapropriate for deer sized animals?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

The deer in my neighborhood are all armor plated. Nothing but the latest Big *** Magnum will even scratch them.

But seriously, the 110 HP from Sierra would kill a deer ok, but would really tear it up. It is a light jacketed HP. This issue isn't the weight so much as the bullet construction.

Bob A
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I load Hornady 110 grainers over 38gr W748 and get 2150fps out of my Contender 14" barrel. I have some loaded up and will measure the velocity out of a rifle when I get time, maybe this weekend if I can escape :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Deer must be on steriods nowadays, where I come from a 25-20 or 32-20 was bigenough for mulies and even an Elk if ya placed your shot well, but now we need 338 ultra eargsplitzenloadenboomers for even an lope...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have used the 30 carbine 110gr'ers from Hornady, I thought they were quite thick jackets!
I use 110gr Speer HP's for foxs and a case full of reloader 12, I'd say they are around 2500-2600fps guessing. They do fly apart but a good side on shot on a smallish deer should be ok, keep away from the shoulder though.
I don't buy into this theory that it is marginal, I do buy into the correct application with what you have to work with.
I have just read about a feller using a 47grn lead ball out of his .32 M/L to shoot a hog, now some would say thats a big no no.
Go for it, I have had good results with H322.
Nath
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

The smallest mule deer I've shot field dresses at 128 pounds when we weighed it at the locker. That was with a 100 grain 243. Personally, I might go with a 125 grain in 30 cal, but wouldn't be comfortable going lighter. We all have our own comfort zone. A decent whitetail around where I live now might only be 125 pounds on the hoof, but I'd still like to be sure the bullet holds together better than the 110 grainers I've shot.

I also wear a belt and suspenders. :D