The Last Supper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

The Last Supper

Post by olyinaz »

For this guy at least!

Notice the neck still thrashing? He was still chewing away trying to swallow the baby rabbit as well and this is maybe three minutes after I'd nailed him with a shovel. I picked up the body and the neck struck at me (got me too). I hate to kill just for the heck of it, but rattlers on my suburban lot have to go - lots of kids in my area.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Last Supper

Post by Rusty »

They eat good! :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yep coon tail only to be outclassed by a mohave greens or reds killed a bunch of all three when working in Az use to carry 2 pieces of garden hose in my saddle bags in case the horse got bit getting a drink or when eating. those greens always seemed to be on the prod, was bit by a coon tail one night hunting a stock killing cougar NW of a ghost town called Cerbat it only got one fang in me my calf swelled up long horse ride out so just lanced it spent the night out in the desert no damage to speak of. danny
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Used to have a cowboy hat with a rattlesnake hatband ( hatband made by me ).
A woman got off with it.
Miss that hat.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Lucky she only got the hat.

Them women'll take what ya got if you don't watch 'em close.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

olyinaz wrote: Notice the neck still thrashing?
He was still chewing away trying to swallow the baby rabbit as well and this is maybe three minutes after I'd nailed him with a shovel.
I picked up the body and the neck struck at me (got me too).
I'm impressed at that primordial reaction, done w/o the brain/head - makes me glad the state I live in is rattler-free (the reptile kind, anyway).

The only real predators hereabouts are Cougars wearing hats with rattlesnake bands. . ;)

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Although this one didn't, most rattlers give you a warning. I like that vs. vipers that are silent killers.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Caramba,
she moved to R.I.
Better watch out Pete!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have shed a lot of tears in my life because of rattle snakes.

From both sadness and laughing.

I could write a book.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This is one I got last year (Great Basin Rattler). Blew it's head off with my shotgun. Big sucker - fat and heavy.

I usually don't kill them - just throw them further out on our property but this one was in the backyard right near the back porch and the wife and our dogs were out in the backyard so it had to go.
ED
Yer never too old
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mescalero wrote:Caramba,
she moved to R.I.
Better watch out Pete!

Ayiee, Caramba ! ! . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Shivers! I'm Indiana Jones about the fanged ones. No thanks! Have run across many a coontail and a few Mohaves in my time. I don't go hunting for them but neither I do I leave 'em to be someone else's problem - especially around the little ones - kids 'n dogs.

There's a You Tube clip of somebody going up in our McDowell Mts in north Scottsdale at night (!) looking for--and finding-- Mohaves in the crevices. Nuts! Years back, a university herp researcher found a den of hundreds half way between Phoenix and Yuma near an old Southern Pacific RR outpost called Hyder. Tagged a whole bunch and let them go. I had fantasies about a few molotoffs down into those caves - BBQ dinner for the local coyotes :) This story told by a friend who was a signal maintainer for the RR down there and got nailed by a Mohave on the little finger! Employees carrying firearms was verboten but he carried a .22 snub regardless for these circumstances. Clearing debris by the tracks he got one snake and when flipping it out of the way with a stick its invisible mate got him in the pinky. Ended up six months in the hospital, killed the main nerve down his right leg and "contracted" lifelong diabetes. He was lucky. These things are the deadliest critters in the Northern Hemisphere, but exaccerbating the ordeal was his being allergic to the regular antivenin and the officials types said the alternative was 1500 miles away in Dallas--all the while there was a batch of the correct stuff in Yuma an hour away!
One of the Mohaves claimed a gal north of Phoenix two or three years go, and IIRC that was with (otherwise) reasonably timely treatment. The diamondbcks such as Oly's friend are bad enough!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I don't care for these guys much myself either, and will not tolerate them where family and pets are likely to go. I appreciate their role in an ecosystem and all that, but think their highest and best use is for the skins to back a nice primitive self bow.\
Good job Oly. Good job Ed.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

You gonna make a hat band or other artwork with it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

This one made a try for me a couple of years back. I missed, but I barked him with a bit of rock and that killed it quite nicely. Some days it's better to be lucky than good.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Oly that's a good snake now! great pix
have had my share of problems with em

ollogger
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I wonder what the connection is between snakes and chickens? They both thrash around when they are looking for their head. I have had chickens get up on both legs and run 25 yards without a stumble. Wait. Aren't rattlers supposed to taste like chicken?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

3leggedturtle wrote:You gonna make a hat band or other artwork with it?
Nope! I used to, but it's two or three a year now and I'm bored with it.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

BAGTIC wrote:I wonder what the connection is between snakes and chickens? They both thrash around when they are looking for their head. I have had chickens get up on both legs and run 25 yards without a stumble. Wait. Aren't rattlers supposed to taste like chicken?

I always figured birds were first cousins to reptiles

Here is another head scratcher in S AZ there are Coadi-mundi or Chula I have head shot 5 or 6 in my life and everyone flopped like a chicken.

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OK, city boy here, no rattlers in So. Central LA! (other than the 2-legged type). What's the green garden hose used for when horses drink?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

horse breath thru their nose if they get bit around the face area their nose/mouth swells up they cant breath by shoving a garden hose up each nostril they can breath. I always carried a couple of 12" hoses. there are alot of snakes around stock tanks especially if the rancher has elevated the tank on wood to protect the tank bottom from rock punches. danny