primer residue scratched up a set of dies of mine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

primer residue scratched up a set of dies of mine

Post by AkRay »

I used Lee Hand Presses to reload 500 L ammunition. With these presses, the primers are collected in the hollow space under the shell holder. When that space would fill up, I'd just tip the press over and dump out the empty primers, and the dust. The problem with this practice is that I didn't bother to take the sizing die out beforehand, and the primer crud would go into my resizing die. I continued to use the resizing die, and eventually noticed that my cases were coming out of the die with scratches on them. I figured out what the problem was, and I don't do that anymore. Watch out for those used primers.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

This post is a goof. It was supposed to go along with someone else's about primer residue goofing up his RCBS press. I must've pressed "new topic" instead of "reply."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AkRay,

That would be my thread: viewtopic.php?t=4735 , and it's clear back on page three already.

I've got one of those Lee hand presses too and haven't used it too much.
So I dug it out and checked and sure as shooting all the primer junk goes down in the hollow ram. DUMB DESIGN. From the looks of it, you could lower the ram all the way down and shake the junk out with out getting it in the die if you were very careful. But I don't like it too much.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep a 3 gallon shop-vac under the bench for things like this. If you put the skinny nozzle on, it will suck out just about anything. Not only is it handy for jobs like this, it will keep you from breathing deadly primer dust.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AND, you have to watch how many primers you get in that hole. I've stuffed a couple too many, had a devil of a time getting the shell holder off to dump. I only use mine with a Universal Decapping die, and bullet seaters, so I haven't done that. Frankly it's just too much effort to use it for sizing... or I'm a weakling! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I recently noticed the same thing, but was just using a de-prime die, so no sizing/scratching was involved.

It looks like you could drill a hole in the side of the ram, and provide an 'exit' path for the primers, and that's what I plan on doing when I get a chance. Anyone ever try that...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD429 wrote:I recently noticed the same thing, but was just using a de-prime die, so no sizing/scratching was involved.

It looks like you could drill a hole in the side of the ram, and provide an 'exit' path for the primers, and that's what I plan on doing when I get a chance. Anyone ever try that...?
I had the same thought, but then wandered if the ram was hardened steel?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It drilled easy. I'll let you know how it works. Had to use a countersink and then stone it to get it to slide easily through the press sleeve, but now it's nice and smooth.

I have a few hundred .38's to deprime, and that is one operation I do while watching a movie with the family, so I use the little hand-press.

(I agree with not doing most other reloading tasks while not fully focused on-task, but de-priming is hard to screw up...)

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I've been using the hand press for a couple of years now, and wondered if I was getting any dust in the sizing die, and if it would make any difference if I did. Seems like the answer is yes in both cases.

Is there anyway to take the die apart and clean it, maybe with Q-tips and alcohol? Suggestions (BTW, I only reload pistol cartridges with carbide dies)?

Griff, I've done the same thing before, so now I limit it to 25 cases before dumping (with either small or large pistol primers), keeping it nice and symetrical -- 2 dumps per box.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

I would just blast the die out with brake cleaner

Post by AkRay »

The dies are threaded and adjustable, so all you do is unscrew them to take them apart. My sizing die was expensive and hard to replace, so I got a dowel of approximately the same diameter as the sizing die, along with various fine grades of sandpaper and carefully polished the inside of the die out. It still works fine, and the scratches on the brass cases are gone.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a 38/357 die that I have had to polish 2 or 3 times. I havent used it for years since buying a carbide set. :wink:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Will the dust hurt the carbide dies? Can one even polish a carbide die?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think the primer dust is mostly carbon, a very hard substance, but I heve never even heard of a Carbide die being damaged by dirt. I doubt it would cause a problem with carbide dies. :wink: