Centerfire hunting rifle and matching 22 practice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Centerfire hunting rifle and matching 22 practice

Post by 86er »

Does anyone pair up a centerfire with a rimfire so they are set up the same? In other words, put the same sights/scope, sling, etc on your Marlin 336 as your 39A or your 1886 matched with your BL-22?

I think having the same exact sight picture and accessories on a rimfire as a centerfire seems like a great way to get meaningful practice for hunting.

Right now I set up a 39A to mimic my Win 86EL. The reason is, the barrel length gives me the same sight picture since they both have the same exact sights on them (front and rear). The 39A was also a heavier gun than most. Different makes but the feel is what counts for this experiment. So far so good with this concept.

I am thinking of looking into a Ruger LA rimfire to match my Savage 99 but I am open to suggestions of other rimfires that might match up with the 99.

Any thoughts on this?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

These guys make barrel adapters for single shots. Get with them and see if the would make some thing that would work for you.

http://www.mcace.com/index.htm
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm sure all the shooting you do helps.

I have the Lyman globes and tang sights on several rifles and the sight picture looks the same on all. But no two rifles are exactly the same, it's in the trigger, the balance, etc.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I have done what you are talking about with pistols and rifles and find it a great technique. The key is the practice and you can get that even without a perfect match.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I think it is a great idea. I sort of have this set-up with my Winchester 9422 and 1894 carbine. Both have lyman peeps on them with the same size peep diameter hole. Their front sights are slightly different with the 9422 being finer than the 30-30 - the handling, balance, and feel of these to are quite similar - which is why Winchester was said to introduce the 9422 all those years ago.
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

I like my .22's but they are basically for plinking (for me anyway). I shoot alot of reduced loads in my centerfires for practice. In fact, I rarely shoot full power in anything larger than .30-30 unless it's needed. I shoot a number of different rifles with iron sights and find that trying to keep the sights similiar makes more difference to me in getting good quick first hits than whether I'm shooting a lever or single shot. I've settled on a reciever sight and a sourdough front sight. I sight in to hit on the top of the post with my reduced loads. Doesn't much matter what you put these sights on, the sight picture is pretty close and very familiar. An afternoon with a couple rifles, a bag of cans and a bunch of ammo is a wonderful thing.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I tried the "matching guns" idea, when I was younger, and recommend it for newer shooters/hunters - but found that it doesn't matter if you do a lot of shooting & hunting, over a longer period of time.

IMHO, it's more important to have all your different triggers feel about the same, and also to have about the same buttstock dimensions (LOP, drop, cast on/off etc) on all your guns.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think it is more important for handguns than rifles, and more useful. That may be because the handgun requires so much 'instinctive' feel vs. most long gun shooting (I've never been a long gun 'snap' shooter). It is also easier to get a handgun of the same design and even heft in .22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "