Tried my 'new' 38-55 at 100 yards today (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Tried my 'new' 38-55 at 100 yards today (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I had tried out my 'new' Winchester Model 1894 38-55 (built 1897) at 50 yards a couple weeks ago to see how it did. The results were encouraging, but I could see I needed to adjust the windage a bit. Before I headed to the range today, I tapped the front sight over a tad. Figuring it must be fairly close, I put up a target at 100 yards and let five shots rip. I was a little sloppy, but here is the first 100 yard target ....

Imageg]

I tapped the front sight over a bit more and took five more shots. These cast bullets vary a fair bit in weight and quality. I've picked out the best bullets and have loaded up 10 rounds to see how it will shoot with good bullets, but that will have to wait until next week. Here is the second 100 yard target (five shots were fired, but there are only four holes ... there was a much wider backing on this target and no 38-55 holes, so I'm figuring one of the bullets when through one of the existing holes. The one closest to the black was a little large before I took down the target, so I'm thinking that is where the fifth bullet went) ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Tried my 'new' 38-55 at 100 yards today (photos)

Post by Old Savage »

:idea: A hunter needs no better and that is certainly fine!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I could live with those groups! :P :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I am sure I can do better with cast bullets that are good. I'll look forward to trying again next week.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Where is a pic of the gun? Isn't that a violation of some kind?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your eyes are still good I see. While my guns will do 2 or less, I can't anymore. Looks like I'm gonna have to d & t those 1886's and 1873's and mount some scopes on 'em.--------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sore Shoulder: I only got my phone right now but I'll post a photo tomorrow

Sixgun: I was using a tang sight which sure helps.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sore Shoulder, here's a few shots of the rifle and the tang peep and front globe sights ...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"A little sloppy"... :wink:

Awesome Kirk - as always!!! :D :mrgreen: 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh my,,,,,Kirk :!:

I got some fox's waitin' fer' one o' thems :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very Nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Some fine shootin for sure. Congrats!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Always enjoy your range reports and taste in fine rifles
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Kirk,
Nice shooting! What kind of rest were you using? :mrgreen:
GB
Sixgun wrote:Your eyes are still good I see. While my guns will do 2 or less, I can't anymore. Looks like I'm gonna have to d & t those 1886's and 1873's and mount some scopes on 'em.--------------6
Six,
I heard a rumor that you can mount a 14x60mm scope on a model 71 using extra high mounts so you don't have to grind down the bolt peep to work the action. You would only have to D&T 4 holes into the receiver, and add one of those attractive side mounting plates. If your neck is long enough to see through the scope, you could look at the target through the scope and still use the bolt peep! Another advantage is that with the extra high mount, you could use the scope as a handle and there would be room to carry it even with gloves on during those cold PA winters.

Knowing that you really wouldn't want to do that, just ship your 71 or any of your 86's to me and I'll scrounge up a new Remlin 30-30 with a Wally World scope and send it to you for each one. :twisted: :twisted:
Geobro

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

geobru wrote:Kirk,
Nice shooting! What kind of rest were you using?
I was using this one. It works great, much better than my shooting bag.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad the rest is working for you Kirk :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I sure like it, Pete! :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

as always, thanks for the photos - beautiful rifle, and good shooting.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Sloppy my foot!!!! I'd like to be that sloppy!!!. Kirk, is yours proofed for smokeless or black? Back in 1981, I had a chance to buy one just like yours, well not with your sight setup, only mfg'd in 1908, IIRC
for $400, (US), but I had just purchased a Browning B-92 in .44MAG for the upcoming deer season & couldn't afford a second lever gun. OH HOW I WISH NOW I COULD GET A DO-OVER!!!! jd45
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

jd45 wrote:Sloppy my foot!!!! I'd like to be that sloppy!!!. Kirk, is yours proofed for smokeless or black?
I have a reproduction Winchester catalogue for 1896, one year before this rifle was made. In that catalogue, they were already offering smokeless cartridges for the Model 1894 38-55, along with black powder ones. Therefore, I imagine the Winchester folks were proofing their rifles for smokeless by 1897. Of course, I keep to those 1896 ballistics and pressure.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

KirkD wrote:Sore Shoulder, here's a few shots of the rifle and the tang peep and front globe sights ...

Thanks Kirk. :mrgreen:

Someday, God willing and world events notwithstanding, I'll have a few old guns like that myself. Until then, I'm content to appreciate those owned by others.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ysabel Kid wrote:"A little sloppy"... :wink:
Awesome Kirk - as always!!! :D :mrgreen: 8)
+1 KirkD-- I have to agree with the others...nice shooting... :)