SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GANJIRO wrote:
sobenk wrote:Suddenly it's a bit nippy in the valley
Hey, watch them "nippy" comments! :shock: :x :lol:
Wow, Mr. Sensitive. Reminds me of an old story of mine. While undergoing what today would be called pre-deoloyment training, the Sgt in charge talked about killing the "hated" VC. One bright young trooper spoke up and said he didn't hate the Vietnamese. In what was the most accurate prognostication I ever heard, the Sgt responded "That's okay, you will".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

my original post said it was a bit chilly but I got a nasty e-mail from the Chilean embassy so I changed it.

Well, ALL ATTENDEES HAD A GREAT TIME and we hung out at dinner for two hours. A little rain and hail and wind in the mountains the first night, but that's okay, I said, whenever it's like this the next day is gorgeous.

And it was, our shooting day was crystal clear, deep blue sky, bright clouds, idyllic. Still a little brisk and some wind, but the nicest day we'll have up here all year.

Next time I vote we keep the group together at the public range because that way we could have gotten in more visiting and checking out all the interesting guns. Shooting three rounds of silhouette is hard work, fast pace, etc. So I'm exhausted.

See you guys next year.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great day shooting with the guys but didn't see some of the silhouette guys. I believe that it would have been better to have all together or a clear understanding of how the day would function. We has a great time at the public range - shot a wide range of rifles. I think Cowboytutt managed to hit the 600 yd pig? with his Mauser 71/84 after a concerted effort.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I had fun shooting as well, though I didn't meet many folks as I had limited time and was directed by the Range people to the silouette area where everyone was pretty well occupied in a match. Got to touch off a box of .405s out of my new 1895 and was managing to drop most targets at 200M. My 308 BLR also seemed pretty happy today. Very nice range. I hope it lasts. I spoke a good deal with the Rangemaster and he indicate the range is under constant assualt.

Thanks for the Invite
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

The patches were a hit!
Anyone who was at the shoot and did not get one can pm me with
your address and I will mail it.

I had a great time, first time at outdoor range in over 10 yrs.
First time on the silhouette range. I will be back after some
minor equipment changes and more prep work on sight settings.

Met alot of great people and look forward to more group shoots!

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jay and others, please feel free to post pics and narrative here:

viewtopic.php?p=59282#59282

Its probably time to let this sticky go bye bye, and no one reads them anyhow. I hope everyone will contribute something.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The boys and I had a great time :D . It was awesome meeting you all in person. I will remember this for a long time. Hopefully I am still with in driving distance for the next one.
The boy said the had lots of fun meeting all of you. But are happy to be home where its not so cold. :D
For all those that didnt go you were missed.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We were graced by the presence of Chad & Jeremy and The Four Lads. See the restaurant picture. I thought the boys were troopers. Good to see them there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Yes...it was a treat meeting everyone finally. This was a long time in coming and I hope it is an annual event.

Thanks to everyone who made it happen.
jjames wrote:I had fun shooting as well, though I didn't meet many folks as I had limited time and was directed by the Range people to the silouette area where everyone was pretty well occupied in a match. Got to touch off a box of .405s out of my new 1895 and was managing to drop most targets at 200M. My 308 BLR also seemed pretty happy today. Very nice range. I hope it lasts. I spoke a good deal with the Rangemaster and he indicate the range is under constant assualt.

Thanks for the Invite
I saw you loading up after shooting but I didn't know you were one of us. I wish we would have chatted. Anyway, it was great that you made it and I hope you got to talk to some other Levergunners. Hopefully next time...

Good job on the 405. Those rams are fun to knock down aren't they?!
Chad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never shot so many different guns at one session - some I didn't know existed. Thanks fellows.

jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Thanks Chad, I didn't get to chat with many. Maybe next year. I spoke breifly with John. I had hoped to meet some more shooters from down in the San Diego area I have a few friends who shoot down here but for the part shooting to them means shooting my guns and ammo. Not that I am complaining it is just very little insight can be gained. Most recently I have been taking friends from Japan and Australia out shooting more than anyone local. It is quite a challenge trying to teach Trap and Skeet to people who can barely speak English which is much better than my Japanese. They are so amazed that we can own guns. It is so sad we are heading in their direction instead of them heading our direction.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jjames
Where in the count are you? I am up here at pendleton and I bring my own guns and amm :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

JReed wrote:jjames
Where in the count are you? I am up here at pendleton and I bring my own guns and amm :wink: :D
count = county
amm = ammo
double :wink:

I too would like to know where in the county you are. I am in San Carlos and Kearny Mesa.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Man, if you guys get together, please let me know! I'll make ANOTHER trip down!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

71fan wrote:
JReed wrote:jjames
count = county
amm = ammo
double :wink:

I too would like to know where in the county you are. I am in San Carlos and Kearny Mesa.
Thats what happens when I type to fast. Thanks for the fix 71. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The one rifle that I knew of ahead that I was looking forward to seeing was that 405 1895. How did it shoot.

jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I am down in Poway. I am a native San Diegan and grew up in what was call the back-country behind Del Mar. Up until the the late sixties used to hunt Dove, Quail, and Rabbit out of my back yard with my Dad. Boy have things changed. I have been doing most of my paper punching skeet busting up on Palomar Divide for about the last 10-12 years after the BLM shut down "target" practicing in McCain Valley. I am somewhat unclear about the situation on the Divide as there is contradictory information on the Cleveland National Forest website. I have spoken to NPS people who say it is open and some say it is closed. Right now it is shut down due to past rain. Orosco Ridge is shut down due to last year's fires. I have shot out at Jacumba but I really don't like it there much. No privacy and a bunch a yahoos shooting up all their garbage and leaving it so that place will get shut down too. I have never been much on shooting ranges but I may have to adjust. I probably end up joining PSC out at Ranchita. It is a bit far but on the way to and from Borrego Springs where I frequently golf. I am always up for a shoot. Email me james4570@att.net if anyone wants to throw some lead down range. I am available most weekends unless I am already Hunting, Shooting, Golfing or overseas for work.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well dang your just down the road. We will have to work something out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis