Chiappa/ Winchester 1886 loading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
czscotia
Levergunner

Chiappa/ Winchester 1886 loading question

Post by czscotia »

hi all,
New to your great forum. I was looking for opinions on the strength of the Chiappa action vs a new
prodduction Winchester 1886. do you think they would be the same?
Thanks
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chiappa/ Winchester 1886 loading question

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They should be the same. Both being 87`s and proofed, I would treat them the same as a late model Winchester made gun as far as loading goes.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

czscotia wrote:hi all,
New to your great forum. I was looking for opinions on the strength of the Chiappa action vs a new
prodduction Winchester 1886. do you think they would be the same?
Thanks
Welcome to the forum for the levergun addiction. :lol:

These rifles are pretty fresh to the market, so not a lot of experience to tap into. That said, the Italians are not exactly amateurs when it comes to gun making, and their arms are proofed by their government to a very high standard, and the 1886 is one of the strongest action designs ever built. That said, I don't recommend extreme loads in anything. The 1886 is a joy to behold, and a joy to shoot. It may be the pinnacle of levergun design. It is a classic lever action design, that was never intended to be a 458 magnum, and it will kill anything on this continent with BP loadings. While it can be loaded with some insane, IMHO, loadings, it is NO FUN to shoot that way.

For a official answer to your question, give the maker or distributor a call.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
czscotia
Levergunner

Post by czscotia »

Thanks for the replies,
The book says safe for saami pressure which is 28,000 CUP i believe, so trapdoor loads.
I kinda want to run marlin loading, and I know I do so at my own risk but it just seems SOOO much
beefier than the Marlin....
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I think it's pretty safe to say that a 1886 is stronger than the Marlin's 336 based 1895 action.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.