.25-20 load recipes/bullet mold recommendations (pics added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

.25-20 load recipes/bullet mold recommendations (pics added)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I recently purchased a Winchester '92 in .25-20 WCF from hfcable here on the forum (I know - I know - where are the pictures?!? I just haven't had the time to take some good photos - they're coming, I promise!). Want to reload for it, and cast bullets for it as well.

Anyway, does anyone have any favorite reloading recipes for this round? As well, does anyone cast bullets for this round, and if so, what kind of bullet mold do you use? Do you like it?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice. cant wait for the pics and range report.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Can't say as I do. However, you could use the lull in responses to post those pics!!!! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

here is an article I always found helpful...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _113853247
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Sorry I dont have my data here right now on 25/20 ZMine is a Marlin 94cl . I sot the Remington 86 grain bullet for years then switched to the 75 grain Speer it shoots better out of that gun I would imagine that the Winchester may have enough differences that bullet weight and length may be different .
IM basing that on the fact that I have a 92 in 32/20 and my Brother-in-law has the Marlin 94cl in 32/20 My woinchester does not like any bullewt cast or jacket under 100 grains MY brother-in-laws Malrin does not like any thing over 100 grains :?: Just a thought
I have not cast for 25 cal but I have been thinking of it for the marlin and maybe a double duty for 25/35 toomany other projects going on at this time to rty it now BUT im very interested in any success you have thanks
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have not been without a 25-20 since 1961. Today, I have a very good Winchester 92 levergun and a Remington 25 pumpgun. I have only used on load in these all through the years, because that one load does so well.

In the early 60's John Wooters wrote and article about the 25-20 and recommended Lyman 257312 (90 grain GC) over 9/4227. That is the load I have been using.

Lyman no longer makes this fine bullet, but NEI offers a clone as their 257-89 GC #19.

The above load is deadly on critters up to the size of coyote and javalina. Velocity is in the 1.6 to 1.7K fps range. The load is not anywhere near max and does not stress vintage rifles. I use Linotype alloy as it really fills out these small bullets.

Good luck with you new rifle... Charles
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a Remington pump and a Marlin CL in 25-20. I must confess though, I only shoot 3 or 4 hundred a year out of these. I have only developed 2 loads and stopped because they do so well. One is with the Remington 86 gr. jacketed with a moderate dose of 2400. I can't remember what the dose is because I seldom use that load. The #1 load I do use is the Lyman 69 gr. gc over 5 grains of Unique. Its about 1.5K, (don't have notes handy) but it really slams down the 100 meter rams. I size .258-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I have both a 92 rifle and a carbine that shoots 25-20. A while back, a friend of mine was ordering some bullets so he ordered me some cast from Huntingtons, I am assuming they were done with RCBS molds. I didn't like them. Both winchesters didn't handle them very well; a bit of leading and inaccurate no matter what type or charge of powder I used(didn't try black powder.) However, my dad ordered me some 86grn remington which according to him have a softer jacket and I started loading with 2400 and what a difference. They shot excellent. I got the load from a lyman book that I no longer have or I would give you complete details. Another powder I have used with great results out of the rifle is IMR4198.

By the way, IMO, the 25-20 is one of the funnest rounds for rabbits that I have ever used.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay - snapped some quick photos over lunch. Maybe, as Griff notes, this will inspire more responses! :wink:

And, just so you all know it is truly me, my trademark shot: :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Great mocs... are they new? :P :P Pretty little rifle - love that button mag. Look forward to the range report. Hope someone pops in with yer load data!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

My 1908 vintage, round barrel 1892 Winchester .25-20 shoots EXCELLENT with 11.3gr IMR4198 behind the 86gr. Remington JSP bullet. Shot 1000's of these rounds in silhouette and can't wait until the pistol cartridge matches begin in May. My bore is a little rough but the jacketed Remingtons just shoot better than the bore should allow them to.

Love the .25-20!!!

Geoff
Kirby
Levergunner

Post by Kirby »

Kid,
interesting marking on the barrel atop the trade mark.
"The Stinger" was a common stamp applied to firearms distributed by a Brisbane, Queensland dealer here in Australia many years ago.

Could be your rifle has had an interesting life - manufactured over there - imported here and returned to it's mother country !

Kirby.
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

If I had a 25-20 lever action, I would naturally have to pony up for a custom single action to go with it.....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirby wrote:Kid,
interesting marking on the barrel atop the trade mark.
"The Stinger" was a common stamp applied to firearms distributed by a Brisbane, Queensland dealer here in Australia many years ago.

Could be your rifle has had an interesting life - manufactured over there - imported here and returned to it's mother country !

Kirby.
Kirby -

I understand that is exactly what the history is on this little one. Seems to have seen a lot of honest use as a kangaroo popper. I wish it could tell tales!!! :D
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

Cool post! I just picked up a 1894CL last month. I have been collecting the components to load some round for it. I have some of the Remington and some Hornady bullets. I would like to get my hands on some cast lead but I have having difficulty finding a source.

Jay
Bob Thompson
Levergunner

25-20 load

Post by Bob Thompson »

Nice looking 92 I am jealous.
I have a 25-20 on a relined Stevens action that I use for tree rats and a rabbit now and then. My hunting load is a Lyman 257420 with 3.5 grains of Unique for about 1250 in the long barreled single shot. Groups at 50 yard with the 70 grain bullet sized to .258 run about 1/2 on average.
I just bought a Savage bolt gun in 25-20 at auction so I will be trying some loads in the 1800 fps range as soon as the weather clears. Have two kegs of 1680 on hand I think I will give it a try; I will not live long enough to shoot it up in my Hornets. Bob