Recently deleted topic... (Forum behavior)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Recently deleted topic... (Forum behavior)

Post by Hobie »

I recently deleted an entire topic because the tone and language used had long lost its acceptability for this forum. I should point out that if a person violates the rules of discourse here (well understood by our many long time members) then I should be told so that I can take care of it BEFORE we have to lose a whole discussion to cleanse the forum. I should also point out that while I don't "ban" people for disagreeing with me, I have banned them for threats of physical violence, trolling, and spamming. If you want to disagree here you have to present reason, not resort to name calling. Ad hominem attacks will simply be deleted, no explanation from me is necessary as the poster knows what they posted/typed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Re: Recently deleted topic...

Post by Hobie »

I'm surprised this post hasn't elicited a response from anyone. I'm going to repeat something that our old friends know all too well but new members apparently need to learn. You're visiting somebody's/everybody's living room and we expect at least a modest bit of decorum. Further, you've just been introduced. We expect you to behave just as you would when you've just been introduced to a new neighbor. If you insist on kicking the cat, spilling coffee on the wife's new carpet or cussin' in front of my grandbabies I'll do just what I'd do if you were actually in my house.

Old friends here who know each other after YEARS of contact might be a little rougher with one another, that doesn't give you leave to do the same. Age 13 or 99 new forum members are the young kids here. If you want respect, you have to earn it. If you want to discuss a subject you'd better bring your thinking cap.

I suppose that it is necessary to add (again) that I don't live my life reading all the posts in real time. A reported post in a topic is the first to draw my attention but I will read the rest of the posts and have and will delete a whole topic when the members cross the line. If you don't think that's fair, well, I'm not the omniscient, omnipresent one so that's pretty much what you're stuck with. Although I've tried to rephrase, again and again, the standards for the forum, those standards haven't changed in 10 years. As long as I'm the moderator I'm going to do what I was asked to do.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Re: Recently deleted topic... (Forum behavior)

Post by Hobie »

BTT
Sincerely,

Hobie

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

What have I done now ? Blaines the one that said it. Said what ?
Thank You Hobie, I know not of what You speak but thank You.
Just a week ago My Wife and I were at Our property in the Hills showing it to potential Renters. One of the other family was using some colorful language. I interrupted and said "see that Woman over there,thats My Wife". He quickly recanted and apoligized.
Seems like I remember something recently and thinking "Wow , a newby no less". Sure comes in handy being old sometimes (forgetful) :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
JcJ78

Post by JcJ78 »

My favorite part is when you pretended you just wanted "reason". Like I told you, there were lots of muddy feet, and you seem to only notice the new guys tracks. I think this forum is a lot less useful than I had thought. If I want to listen to a bunch of w hiny old guys being sore losers and paranoid lunatics, I'll read up at stormfront.

there is nothing more threatening to the RKBA than the voters seeing you America hating mouth frothers when the hear the title "gun owner".

Enjoy your pity party fellas. Don't bother responding, I'm done with your *language deleted*.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

10 to 1 he's still listening, it's like a Party Line- U just caint resist. :lol: :arrow:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thank you sir. I have no other way to express my appreciation for what you do here. I send all sorts of people to this site for advice on many topics. It is your (and the good people who alert you) attention to maintaining the wholesome atmosphere here that make this the only forum I visit every day.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I just figured out which topic it was. Well done Hobie. I never re-visited it after the first few posts, but I can imagine where it went.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, he's banned for 7-days (I like this new software, the old would only ban somebody permanently). Why? Language. I wouldn't normally make this public, but he did. I guess rebelling teenagers can now sign on to the forum. :?: That's not bad though, only one in the last 2 years!
Sincerely,

Hobie

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Like others have said, don't know of what post you speak nor do I care to. Just wanted to say thank you Hobie.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Guess I missed the dust-up once again...

Anyway, thanks for all you do Hobie; obviously you won't make everybody happy, but that's not your job. You run a good place.

P.S. sometimes our 'own' members get a little rough on folks, too...
SteveR wrote:
JcJ78 wrote: I am not THAT hard on stuff but when you carry a rifle on the farm you do bump it into stuff sometimes while you get on and off equipment and it seems like every other day it falls over from whatever it leaned against while I was using a hammer or a shovel. Anyhow thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear you follow safe gun handling rules, I would suppose you have one chambered and the hammer back at all times right?

Never know when you are going to be attacked by a wild grizz on the farm, so you need that 336 ready to go, right?

Steve
If it had been me accused of unsafe gun handling for admitting I've had guns fall over (anyone here who hasn't..?), I'd just give a smart-alek answer to a comment like that, or let it roll off, but some folks are gonna push back if spoken to like that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

thanks hobie :P
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I want to thank you guys, I need help here. I just don't have the time to spend on the forum reading every single word and considering every nuance, etc. I scan the topics, correct what I can or delete the spammers who slip through and so forth and now we have to approve the first posts by new members. I appreciate the help the reports on posts. As always, don't feed the trolls. :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I appreciate it... even though I just slide by every few months, especially when I need to learn about something I have not come across before, it is nice to find the same place, full of generally polite (and unusual) characters. Well worth protecting what's here!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sheesh, I missed all the fun again. You know every time this happens I get curious about what I missed.

Like Hobie I don't read all the threads. Or I'll read it at the start then loose interest just before all the fun starts.

Good job Hobie. We don't always agree, but you do a pretty good job.

Oh, and I didn't comment sooner cos I just saw this announcement.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Your 100% right Hobie

I missed it,but I am sure if you found it unacceptable------------------------It absolutely was!

Well done Sir! :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Works for me --- "Your house, Your rules" is the phrase that comes to mind

Reminds me of a recent analogy i experienced. A motocross buddy of mine with a track on his acreage recently piled a bunch of whoops (speedbumps) on his track in sections when he noticed speeds getting higher on the track than he was comfortable with (50+ mph) -

some of the other riders complained -- i recall my response being the same to him --- his track, his rules, plus his not wanting to see his friends hurt themselves on his own land potentially . If anybody had a problem with it, then let them buy up 20 acres plus dirt moving equipment and assume the liability
----- Doug
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JcJ78 wrote:I'll read up at stormfront.
There's a big clue right there of the type of poster you're dealing with...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I missed this too, Hobie, but really must add my appreciation for the thankless job you do so very, very well. The tone of civility here at Paco's house is consistently one of the highest I have found on the Net.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:
Yes, do a search and see if that is the sort of thing you like...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thank you for dealing with the Obama Regime Troll and his illigitimate "topic".

Looking at his stats, it would not suprise me at all if he (?) was an SPLC/O-DHS agent provocateur.

As one of the most anarcho/libertarian minarchists on this forum, I say...

Good riddance to bad rubbish..
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hobie wrote:
awp101 wrote:
Every so often one of those types would show up on the military style rifle forums I used to frequent. They're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

awp101 wrote:
Hobie wrote:
awp101 wrote:
Every so often one of those types would show up on the military style rifle forums I used to frequent. They're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
What... you LIKE having masquito squid in your boat? ... ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:As one of the most anarcho/libertarian minarchists on this forum, I say...
Glad you said "one of the most" - I was ready for a challenge... :wink:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie,
You run a clean shop here and guys like me, like little kids, need to be spanked from time to time. I never did grow up and you help to remind me that I'm 58. :D

As many have said before, no other forum has the class this place does and I must say, you do a fine job as "disciplinarian" to keep it this way. Thanks pard!------------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

First, Hobie does an admirable job here. Second, I don't own any part of this forum, so I accept that I must follow the rules. Third, what is RKBA?

Sadly, we have a society that has become unable to see that any rules may apply to them. Thursday we had a customer come in to pick up her prescriptions and she brought her 2 dogs in on leashes with her. They were not service animals. One of the dogs deposited the final result of the digestive process on the carpet, and also tried to bite a child who was there. When the Father took and placed his daughter behind him and took a defensive posture, the dog owner said in a loud voice, "Don't you dare kick my dog!" The dog owner had an Obama hat on, and when the Father said that he was just protecting the children, she worked so hard trying to come up with something to say that she turned purple. I thought she was having a heart attack. She didn't. What this is all about is simply illustrating that too many people don't want to realize that others have rights that must be respected and that the world is not all about them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:Third, what is RKBA?
Right to Keep and Bear Arms... :wink:

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree with sixgun. I have been in a fowl mood recently and would really like to turn the little ......... over my knee and give him a spanking. :lol: just hit the permanent delete. And I bet he is out there lurking.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RustyJr wrote:Like others have said, don't know of what post you speak nor do I care to. Just wanted to say thank you Hobie.

RustyJr
+1

I've missed a lot of posts the last several months because work has been so hectic. Glad I missed the unmannered slugs who come into our house and act so rudely. Thanks for all you do Hobie.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote:
piller wrote:Third, what is RKBA?
Right to Keep and Bear Arms... :wink:
Oh. I just had never heard it referred to that way. Reading things on Monday morning after last week's 77 hours on duty may not be the best way to do it. No matter.

Still, the rules here keep it a good place to visit.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Well, I missed it too, but trust Hobie to do the right thing as always. Thanks for your work here Hobie.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie, you know you have my thanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Hobie, thanks for your dilligent efforts.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

I think the Confucious jokes got carried away and I was one of the culprits and I apologize. Glad its been cleaned up and my post is gone. I am so ashamed. Wont do that again.

Bob
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

AJMD429 wrote:Guess I missed the dust-up once again...

Anyway, thanks for all you do Hobie; obviously you won't make everybody happy, but that's not your job. You run a good place.

P.S. sometimes our 'own' members get a little rough on folks, too...
SteveR wrote:
JcJ78 wrote: I am not THAT hard on stuff but when you carry a rifle on the farm you do bump it into stuff sometimes while you get on and off equipment and it seems like every other day it falls over from whatever it leaned against while I was using a hammer or a shovel. Anyhow thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear you follow safe gun handling rules, I would suppose you have one chambered and the hammer back at all times right?

Never know when you are going to be attacked by a wild grizz on the farm, so you need that 336 ready to go, right?

Steve
If it had been me accused of unsafe gun handling for admitting I've had guns fall over (anyone here who hasn't..?), I'd just give a smart-alek answer to a comment like that, or let it roll off, but some folks are gonna push back if spoken to like that.
Just calling out a troll, Doc. I have been here a long time and will call them out as I see them.

Steve
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

As far as safe gun handling safety, gun falling over once or twice...in a lifetime, I could see that, but from the way he talked it was once or twice a week. And firing guns in the air to get someone's attention is beyond retarded and that guy needed calling out. If it was true, he's not a safety conscious person at all.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote:Sheesh, I missed all the fun again. You know every time this happens I get curious about what I missed.
Check your recent posts, Joe. I'm sure that it was one of yours! :lol:
Having stirred THAT pot... Thank you, Hobie - for whatever it was. This continues to be the best forum on the 'net, and your efforts are deeply appreciated.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:As far as safe gun handling safety, gun falling over once or twice...in a lifetime, I could see that, but from the way he talked it was once or twice a week. And firing guns in the air to get someone's attention is beyond retarded and that guy needed calling out. If it was true, he's not a safety conscious person at all.
I wouldn't think shooting a load of #6-shot up in the air in a large field to get someone on the far side to get their attention would be dangerous; we shoot clay targets all the time 'up in the air', and probably closer to bystanders than he would be to someone across a large field.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I remember that, he was a strange fellow.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - sure - so NOW y'all are going to say that it's not right to fire a warning shot into a prowler!
Feel free to delete this post, Hobie - just joking, of course; but:

Hey - isn't it time to end this thread so that we're not guilty of flaming, ourselves? I remember posting something on CalGuns that I believe was quite legitimate, and the many personal attacks that ensued, unchecked by their Central California moderator. As far as I'm concerned, I'll never lift a finger to help any of the clowns in that forum ever again (like helping with their information booths or shoots.) From the posts made, I'm almost inclined to agree with the anti-gunners that the many of those posters are indeed "gun nuts" instead of responsible gun owners; I certainly would not want to share a range with them.

So - Having been the recipient of online barbs, I say enough is enough.