Important Medical News(especially for the older people)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Important Medical News(especially for the older people)

Post by madman4570 »

JMHO

The bad strain of flu(this year)this report from FOX shows only 9% of older people getting that FLU shot were helped so far with that FLU??????????

Also------they said(ANY PERSON 65 and over)having FLU symptoms(early on)should get on TAMIFLU asap----?????
Check with your doctor?????

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/2 ... -flu-shot/

Also for people walking on slippery conditions I have found the below method works wonderfully(just don't wear them inside) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdMHBC7QNY
Stay safe all!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Important Medical News(especially for the older people)

Post by J Miller »

I have never had a flu shot.
I have never had the flu.

Everyone I know that has received the flu shot, has gotten the flu. :?

I'll pass on the flu shot, I don't need to add that ailment to those I already have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I've never had a flu shot, but I've had the flu a number of times. Last time was when our telescope mechanic who had burned up all his paid sick leave on extending vacations brought it up to the mountain and gave it to everyone else. Nothing like having the flu at 10,500 feet elevation.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

I had the Asian flu a long time ago, hadn't had the flu since.

Everyone I know that has received the flu shot, has gotten the flu
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wife and I got the shots again this year, and so far, no flu. I know the odds are not always what the doctors hope for, but real influenza is awful.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

In 1957 I had the Asian flu shot. Two weeks later I had the Asian flu.
I was twelve years old. Have not had a flu shot since and have not had the flu since.

hayabusa
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

JMHO--------

I haven't been to a doctor in almost 6 years,but this year because EVERYONE said-----this is the death flu :roll:
I went to CVS and got one(about 6 weeks ago)so far so good!

What ticked me off after seeing this was all the Docs (the ones on TV that I normally take as they are supposed to be high rated good Doctors)said-------------This year don't screw around(get it)from Docs like (the Doctors/Dr Oz/Dr Rosembloom/Dr Manny/Dr Siegel etc.----------------again, my take on it was get it this year------------don't mess around, so I did

Now----you hear this ------for the Flu bug that presents the biggest danger------this vaccine this year was kinda a dud.
Though I am a long ways off to 65-------seems for the middle aged guys 35-55 not too good either????????

On a couple other health effecting notes-------------
How bout now------the a beer a day-------is a cancer causer???????????? He## back a month ago you hear big news ----a dark beer a day was good for ya!

Hey----how about the deal they are saying with fish(I eat alot)
Much of it is not what they say it is------------some dangerous actually to eat-----------90% is from overseas and less that 2% is INSPECTED whatsoever! :shock:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

VA gives me the shot every year...No Flu. The last bout I had was in '96 or so....Never been that sick before, or since. No shot that year. The Army gave me a shot every year 72-92, and No flu. I'll keep getting my shot every year 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a bad bout with the flu last month! Tough ol' me worked right thru it. Kept saying I would stay home for a week, but hard to turn the money down.

As for traction on ice when walking... I can recommend these: SnoShuz
They work great! Found 'em at a truck stop for about $17... where everything is over-priced!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, it's a bad strain, and while the shot doesn't do a darned thing for one strain (I know, had shot, got flu, became pneumonia), we really don't have anyway of knowing how many folks who had the shot avoided other strains of the flu. Since there are so many strains, it's a stuff shoot every year as to whether the shot will help or not. Still, for it's minor, if any, inconvienience, I figure it's well worth the potential protection.

Oh, and you DO NOT have to be over 65 to get smacked hard by the flu, why I'm a youngster of 60 and it sure wacked me a good one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have taken the shot every year since 1976, and still get it every year from the VA. You DO NOT get the flu from the flu shot. That is a myth, and not taking the shot puts you and those around you at risk.

No flu shot is 100% guarantee against getting the flu. Too many strains out there, and they make their best guess as to which ones are going to most prevalent. Getting the shot is no guarantee, but it greatly improves your chances of not getting the flu. No shot, and it's a matter of luck. If you don't get the shot....well, I hope your luck holds.

Some folks just seem to have a natural resistance to the flu. When I was living in Alaska, an elderly Native gent used to stop in and visit most every Sunday afternoon. We drank tea, and he told stories of his youth. He lived through the great flu pandemic of 1918. He and another lad had the grim job of going door to door, picking up the dead, and taking them to the cemetery. Nearly whipped out the entire community. Why the boys did not get it......well, those decisions are made at a higher pay grade...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I have taken the shot every year since 1976, and still get it every year from the VA. You DO NOT get the flu from the flu shot. That is a myth, and not taking the shot puts you and those around you at risk.

No flu shot is 100% guarantee against getting the flu. Too many strains out there, and they make their best guess as to which ones are going to most prevalent. Getting the shot is no guarantee, but it greatly improves your chances of not getting the flu. No shot, and it's a matter of luck. If you don't get the shot....well, I hope your luck holds.

Some folks just seem to have a natural resistance to the flu. When I was living in Alaska, an elderly Native gent used to stop in and visit most every Sunday afternoon. We drank tea, and he told stories of his youth. He lived through the great flu pandemic of 1918. He and another lad had the grim job of going door to door, picking up the dead, and taking them to the cemetery. Nearly whipped out the entire community. Why the boys did not get it......well, those decisions are made at a higher pay grade...

I heard that more died in WWI from flu, than getting killed. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:I have taken the shot every year since 1976, and still get it every year from the VA. You DO NOT get the flu from the flu shot. That is a myth, and not taking the shot puts you and those around you at risk.

50-100 Million people world wide........
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The Hong Kong flu back in '69 darn near took me out as a kid. At one point, I wasn't expected to live. But I haven't caught the flu since.

Until two and a half weeks ago when it got me down for two weeks. I'm just now starting to feel like I've gotten over it.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

44-40 Willy wrote:The Hong Kong flu back in '69 darn near took me out as a kid. At one point, I wasn't expected to live. But I haven't caught the flu since.

Until two and a half weeks ago when it got me down for two weeks. I'm just now starting to feel like I've gotten over it.

Thats a good run, the odds finally caught up with you, glad you are feeling better.

Last time I had the flu was in 2001 when I Flew back to AZ to bury my Mother , Kicked my rump hard .

Now I always get the flu shot first week in OCT. so far so good .

I went six years once with out ever having even a runny nose, then i moved back east and caught the Whooping cough with in 4 months.

Take care--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

does the "3.2 flu" Count? If so I have had some awful bouts with that!
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not sure what is really in the .gov "approved" flu vaccines, but as I am in upwards of 30+ residences per day (some that IMO should be burnt & razed just because of the smell...) I get vaccinated against as many communicable diseases as possible. Really. Some of the shacks/trailers I go to to provide EBT slugs access to delivered ice cream can barely be considered marginably habitable. I'd rather live in a cave. It would be cleaner and less smelly...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

jeepnik wrote:Yep, it's a bad strain, and while the shot doesn't do a darned thing for one strain (I know, had shot, got flu, became pneumonia), we really don't have anyway of knowing how many folks who had the shot avoided other strains of the flu. Since there are so many strains, it's a stuff shoot every year as to whether the shot will help or not. Still, for it's minor, if any, inconvienience, I figure it's well worth the potential protection.

Oh, and you DO NOT have to be over 65 to get smacked hard by the flu, why I'm a youngster of 60 and it sure wacked me a good one.

Well, well, well! Looks like the auto censor modified one of my words that isn't a swear word into the word "stuff". I used the term (let's see if this one get's by) "crapshoot" only with a space. Now true, the first word could be considered impolite, by the entire two word term is a not swearing, it's a gambling term. Oh well, maybe the auto censor thinks gambling is a sin and is determined to save us from it evil clutches. :roll: :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:

I'm the grandson of one of the Spanish flu victims of that time. It went thru Fort Levenworth like a scythe thru wheat. My grandfather had survived mustard gas, only to be killed by a virus while he was "recovering". It's true, hospitals are a dangerous place for sick people. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

50-100 Million people world wide........
Almost killed Elmer Keith. Did kill his daughter.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson