Load data for 2400

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldmossback
Levergunner

Load data for 2400

Post by oldmossback »

Howdy,

I am new to this site and hope y'all will assist me. For years I owned a 94/30-30 and a 92/44-40 plus several SSA's. But due to eye troubles I stopped shooting and eventually sold off my weapons.
After cataract surgery I find I have my shooting eye back and intend later this year to pickup a Uberti 73 Winchester, if I can not find a good used original Win. 73 at a fair price.........and at least one SSA, both in 44 WCF.

I ran a lot of testing for a hunting round many years ago for my 92; goex BP, H2400, WW296 and Pyrodex; but understand the smokeless loads tested are not suitable for a 73. However, I have 2+ cans of H2400 that I have still that I would like to use with a SSA and a 73.

My 1992 Hercules and my 2002 Alliant reloading guide shows with a 200 grain bullet, 14.5 grs. of 2400 produces 1230 mv and 12,500 cup. Problem is, this data is for both 7.5 inch barrels and 24 inch barrels.

Can anyone tell me or direct me to some correct loading data for using 2400?
AND most importantly......is 2400 safe in a 73? I ask due to reading about the BP spike vs smokeless on this forum.

Eventually I will use only 4227 and 5744 as I have over 100 rounds of 5744 loaded for several years waiting to be shot. (need a gun first)
Hobie

Re: Load data for 2400

Post by Hobie »

If you meant Hercules 2400, ok, don't abbreviate. "H" by itself is now used for Hodgdon's powders. Like other powders 2400 has changed a bit over the years.

If you have a manual and data it doesn't matter what barrel length. If you want to know the exact velocity you're going to have to chronograph it out of your barrel anyway.

If you want it to be safe in an original 1873, we first need to know about your original 1873, like when was it made. Lacking that info I'm going to be cautious and suggest that you to stick with BP.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Load data for 2400

Post by J Miller »

There are two forum members that work with the old dash calibers. KirkD and w30wcf. They should be able to give you first hand info on loading the 44WCF with 2400 powder.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***