locked up Ruger 22 auto pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

locked up Ruger 22 auto pistol

Post by colo native »

A friend brought his 22 semi auto pisstol in to be serviced, and I think he had it appart, but I cannot for the life of me get it to brake down.. any suggestions, I've been trained on smith and colts but my knowledge of rugers is limited.. help me if you can..
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/Instr ... als/01.pdf

Here's the factory manual online. See p20 for disassembly/reassembly instructions with pictures.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Are you saying you can't start by pulling back the bolt? I've had that happen because the gun was incorrectly assembled. You don't say which "mark" it is but I don't think it matters. IIRC, I had a heck of a time with the one (a MK I Govt model a shooter somehow put together wrong). First, I kept the gun pointed in a safe direction (this more for lurkers than you :wink: ). Next, I remove the grips so that if I did something really ham-handed I wouldn't damage them. Then I "popped the latch" (the takedown latch) on the back of the mainspring housing and swung it down and back. As I remember it was stuck/jammed. This is where a firm resolve, heavy rubber hammer and a good vice with no mar jaws made their introduction to the offending pistola. A soft face dead blow hammer would have done as well but I was a lazy mug, the Army didn't give me a dead blow and I was too lazy to go home and get mine. It worked. Disassembly and inspection proceeded apace. I think there were a burr or two which I quickly stoned off and then I correctly reassembled the gun. Rugers aren't much fun to put together when you haven't done it enough to have the knack. :roll: But, I got it done and then, after a function check including a call for me to quit beating on the desk (and a wait for smoke to clear from the rag filled trashcan, I had the "offender" come in and practice assembly and disassembly. :wink:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Ah, those were the good old days. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

colo native,

Just how is it locked up?

What model is it? MK 1, 11, or 111?

These Ruger .22s are simple to take down, but can be put together wrong.
The MK 1 and 2 do not have the internal lock or the mag disconnect so they come apart thusly:

Open the lever at the very rear of the grip. Rotate it down so it's perpendicular to the grip. Rock the main spring housing out and up, then push the forward part of it down. This will remove the round bolt that holds the breach bolt into the upper receiver.

Once the main spring housing is out, pull the trigger and rock the gun muzzle up so the hammer rocks back to the cocked position.
The breach bolt will then come out.

For normal cleaning and servicing that is as far as it needs to go.

By using one of the two ended military cleaning brushes you can clean 99% of the interiour.

To reassemble:

Make sure the recoil spring is on the breach bolt and slip the bolt into the upper receiver.
Insert the main spring housing into the rear of the frame with the lever open and the round bolt up and into the hole in the upper frame.
You'll have to work it a bit to make sure the vertical round bolt is all the way into it's hole, then again with the housing still out of the grip frame pull the trigger and make sure the hammer is de-cocked. Release the trigger and rock the gun up so the hammer strut is to the rear away from the inner wall of the mag well. Then rotate the main spring housing down and in making sure the hammer strut lands in the plunger at the top of the housing. It usually will not go in if the strut is not lined up right.
Once the housing is all the way in the grip frame, rotate the lever down and closed.
Check the bolt for free movement and make sure the hammer will cock and the trigger will release it.

That's pretty much it.

You can go to the Ruger web site and download the owners manual for all the MK's as well.
http://www.ruger.com/index.html

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

thankx guys, had to knock out the hammer pivot pin to release the tention, apart and back, lotsa junk in front of the trigger, It would not release the hammer so it could be torn down in the proper manner, he did say he had been shooting rat shot, whoda thunk it, again many thankx, this was the worst mkII I have torn down, but it functions like a champ... again many thankx...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You can slick them up so they field strip really easily, and I found that a small loop of paper-clip, or even strong plastic (torn 2-liter bottle) grabs that little latch fairly well.

Some outfit used to make a kit of some sort to make it even easier, if I recall.

Like AR's, the 'upper' and 'lower' can become sloppy though, so you have to keep them snug for best accuracy (and they ARE accurate!).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

colo native wrote:thankx guys, had to knock out the hammer pivot pin to release the tention, apart and back, lotsa junk in front of the trigger, It would not release the hammer so it could be torn down in the proper manner, he did say he had been shooting rat shot, whoda thunk it, again many thankx, this was the worst mkII I have torn down, but it functions like a champ... again many thankx...
RAT SHOT! That's a new one to me! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

AJDM429,

This is probably what you are thinking of:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=94559746

I have NO IDEA if they really work, though.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Some outfit used to make a kit of some sort to make it even easier, if I recall. ]

Majestic Arms still does. It's called the Speed Strip Kit.

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Pete44ru wrote:[Some outfit used to make a kit of some sort to make it even easier, if I recall. ]

Majestic Arms still does. It's called the Speed Strip Kit.

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
Anyone here try this? Any Good?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.