Do I WANT a .45-70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Do I WANT a .45-70?

Post by awp101 »

I'll be up front, I have no NEED for one, but being a sucker for hyphenated, historic calibers I keep thinking I WANT one.

Found an H&R Buffalo Classic at todays show for $380, Marlin 1895CB for $680-ish IIRC, 1895GS for about the same price and I think an 1895G in the high $500's. These were all brand new from dealers.

I like the price of the H&R and I have a thing for single shots anyway. I was concerned the weight might not be enough to help with recoil until I picked it up. After looking at the weights of all the rifles above, I found it's the same weight (and in at least one case a pound heavier) as the others.

I like the levers because, well, they're levers!:lol: And the extra ammo capacity is nice too.;)

So I now have added a .45-70 of some flavor to "The List" and in all likelihood I'll end up with the H&R AND a Marlin lever unless I'm totally put off by the round for some reason.

Anyone else in this boat?

I already know there's no cure to be found... :roll:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am curious about those H&Rs never shot one but I have shot all the iterations of the Marlin, the Browning 1885, a couple of Sharps Shilohs, and a Ruger #1. Of those I like the Marlin 1895SS - now the 1895.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

WELL THANKS ALLOT! :lol: I don't really need a 45-70 XLR!But I am agonizing over picking one up tomorrow.Well let me see if I can help you out :lol: :twisted: ! Image
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
GANJIRO

Re: Do I WANT a .45-70?

Post by GANJIRO »

awp101 wrote:I'll be up front, I have no NEED for one, but being a sucker for hyphenated, historic calibers I keep thinking I WANT one.
I beg to differ, everyone who considers himself a rifleman NEEDS a 45/70 for his collection. I satisfied that need with my "Smelly Nelly" and the only cure to satisfy this need is to buy one be it a levergun, single shot, or in my case a bolt-gun, do whatever it takes to satisfy this need before you go CRAZY! :wink:

SMELLY NELLY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here are a couple.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

old Savage, I like the Sharps. I'd like one of those someday myself.

I've had the H%R BC and they are nice. One thing about the weight, if you want more, remove the buttplate and fill the bolt hole with lead. It adds from 1 1/2 to 2 lbs more. It helps soak up recoil. Factory loads from it are a piece of cake.

I now have the H&R 38-55 Target model. Looks like a baby BC. The Target model has a 28" barrel instead of 32.

I also like my 1895GS as well, between the two....it's a tough call, but I MIGHT lean towards the Marlin, but if it's not a hunting gun, get the BC. You have a much greater flexibility of loads for it than the Marlin.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The BC is a good gun for the price. It is very accurate with factory loads and does not kick noticably hard. I have one and I find it a little too long to hunt with in thick woods.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I took this picture on the fence in my back yard. I didn't even have a copy of it anymore. Anyway I love the .45-70. I'd get the 1895G first. It's the best .45-70 going. I have the 1895GS and a 1972 era 1895. I sold my Handi.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Short answere "YES". :D :D

The 45-70 is the one at the top.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

SHUCKS - You just ain't lived, until you gotcha a .45-70 ! :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Since when does "need" have anything to do with our hobby? :wink:

As I always tell people when they ask me how many guns I own: "more than I need but not as many as I want".

"Want" trumps "need" in my book in the firearms category! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had several 45-70s but my LTD III has become one of my all time favorites. Incredibly accurate and loaded up or down it's a blast to shoot!

I hope to have several more i45-70s in the not to distant future :D

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

2ndovc wrote:I've had several 45-70s but my LTD III has become one of my all time favorites. Incredibly accurate and loaded up or down it's a blast to shoot!

I hope to have several more i45-70s in the not to distant future :D

8)
I like that rifle alot. 1886.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Savage wrote:I am curious about those H&Rs never shot one but I have shot all the iterations of the Marlin, the Browning 1885, a couple of Sharps Shilohs, and a Ruger #1. Of those I like the Marlin 1895SS - now the 1895.
Hey Fred I will have my .308 at the get together.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

45-70 is my favorite cartridge all time. here is an 1886 I have in that cartridge:

[img][img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... 94/008.jpg[/img][/img]
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JMHO, but if I were going to buy a single shot 45-70 it would have to be a Trapdoor Springfield.

If it were a lever gun, then there is possibly two. And those are obvious, a Winchester (not Miroku but real Winchester ) 1886, or a Marlin .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yes. Even a handirifle will do, but everyone needs a .45-70.

There be Ba'rs in them there woods.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

2ndovc wrote: Image

Wow! Where did you get that cartridge belt?
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I don't really need a 45-70, but only because I already have four of them. :lol:

Well done is better than well said.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice collection there! How is the recoil on the H&R compared to the others?

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:lol: WHAT IN THE WORLD HAS NEED GOT TO DO WITH IT !?! :lol: Seriously, They're great to shoot, load up or down to suit your needs. My god-daughter absolutely LOVES my guide gun, I can't go to the range without it if she's going. :wink: I think the conversion is almost complete..... Thanks, Tom
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote:Very nice collection there! How is the recoil on the H&R compared to the others?
My H&R delivers recoil more kindly than my Marlin 1895. The surprising thing to me is the muzzle flip gets my cheek weld point.

Every red blooded American man wants a 45/70 whether he knows it or not. Some American women do too.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Yes, Andrew, you want one.

The 45-70 is one of my favorite cartridges. My first 45-70 was a 1972 Marlin 1895 lever, first year of production for the reintroduced 1895 made on the 336 platform.

Since then, I've added:

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun (unported blue)
Marlin 1895CB (26" octagonal barrel; this rifle handles like that of a MUCH shorter rifle. It's a joy to carry on a hunt, but doesn't look it.)
Ruger No 3 (Kills at both ends)
USRAC Winchester 1886 EL Carbine
Pedersoli Sharps 1874 Business Rifle (30" full octagon barrel)

I've taken several deer with the 45-70, and the most appealing thing about the cartridge is that you can load it as light or as stiff (within safety limitations) as you want. My full-power load is 52 gr of IMR3031 under a 300 JSP bullet. Kills at both ends, and is a great load if you feel masochistic and want to have the s__t kicked out of you. Alternatively, I use a couple very light loads from when I shot CAS some years back, and they are so light that one could probably catch the bullet at 200 yds. I'm being facetious, but that's the versatility of the 45-70 Govt cartridge.

Sorry no pics, the server I had them parked on crashed.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I picked up an H&R in 45/70 last fall . It is not the most pleasant shooting one i have ever owned .BUT its better than the 45/70 Contender istol i had many years ago :lol:
IT is very accurate and handles the bullet weights fomr 400 down to 300 well It di dnot like any thing over 400 I have had good luck in all the 45/70s I have owned over the years ( I have 4 right now and have owned another 6 in the past ) with the Lee 450 Grain bullet and other heavys too but not in this rifle .
I own H&Rs in 22 hornet ; 223; 30/30; 30/06; 38/55 and have owned them in 308Win and 243 in the past ALL have been good guns, some more accurate than others . ALL have preferred bullet weights which I consider light for the caliber MY Hornet shoots best with 40 and 45grain bullets.The 30/30 loves the 130s and 125s but does not like any thing at all over 150 . 30/06 doesnt like any thing over 165 and likes the 150s better. SO FAR the 45/70 likes the 350 Hornady and Speer bullets the best but I just finished this weekend casting some 385 RN leads from an OLd lyman mould the I have great hopes for in that gun .
It shot some Meister 405s pretty well last fall but the 350s out shone it by far. It shot the 300s quite well too but I just dont like them for hunting . If you like the 300s for hunting then the 300s and 350s will do you well in that gun.
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

when I read the title all I could think of was "if you have to ask....".
:lol:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

I KNOW need has nothing to do with it. If that were the case I would be limited to a .22, .30-30, .30-06 and 12ga. :lol:

Noah, that CB is one I've been eyeing along with the H&R and maybe an 1895G.

I'm glad to hear the recoil isn't THAT bad out of the H&R. The only one I've seen at the range had a shooter in some pain. I forget the grain he was using but it had broken the skin on his shoulder. I suspect there was some incorrect stock placement going on. :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Noah Zark wrote:Marlin 1895CB (26" octagonal barrel; this rifle handles like that of a MUCH shorter rifle. It's a joy to carry on a hunt, but doesn't look it.)
After handling one in a shop today, I believe it! I'm not sure "love" is quite the right word...;)

They also have a GG for $100 and some change less, but it just didn't feel right.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Yes, of course you want one. Where else can you hold 100+ years of history in your hand............and then pull the trigger. :D :D

In levers, I have the Marlin 1895 that I agonized about shortening the barrel on.
Finally came to a decision about barrel length and bought an 1886 too. :roll:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having 86er back me up with a .45-70 when I shot my water buffalo convinced me. I am saving up for a .45-70, probably a Marlin.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I got these two last year and have not regretted it. I love both and do not intend on selling either. Every growing boy needs a 45-70 :D :D :D

P.S. sorry for the messy table :oops: my wife hates when i do this at the table :)
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

The only centerfire hunting rifles I own now are .45-70s. I would not be without one.
miestro_jerry
Levergunner

Post by miestro_jerry »

I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70, wonderful deer and coyote rifle, plus I shoot the RD 350 gr bullet and it shoots well.

If you need it, then it's not for fun!

Jerry
Always lookin' to learn
Always ready to teach

NRA Patron Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a .45-70 barrel for my Encore and it shoots better (more accurately) than the .270 barrel did! I don't mind the recoil, perhaps due to the stock shape (because the Encore is fairly light). The Encore is pricier, but you can buy a barrel in about any caliber you want fairly inexpensively; like a giant Contender rifle...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I just remembered I have a 45-70 Rolling Block at my Dads. :D He has been holding it for me for so long I forgot about it. :oops:

As others said need has nothing to do with it. If it was about need I would still have just my SMLE and my SxS 20ga. but they were lonely :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yep. You want one. Just listen to yourself say it: FORTY FIVE SEVENTY. Gives ya chills, doesn't it? :D Look at that big ol' hole in the end of the barrel. :shock: Anything on this continent, baby! Yep, you want one, alright! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

J Miller wrote:JMHO, but if I were going to buy a single shot 45-70 it would have to be a Trapdoor Springfield.
Joe
+1

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901