Been many years since I lusted over a new production gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Been many years since I lusted over a new production gun.

Post by hightime »

Sad but true. And the thing is I was never really able to buy true antiques. I bought a couple old guns and got a couple from my dad, but there was many years that I just had to have something new. There were good guns being made by Winchester, Marlin, Savage, etc. With what's being built now I can't see anything that gets me interested. Anyone else feel a let down?

Owen
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Been many years since I lusted over a new pruduction gun.

Post by Griff »

Yep! Know exactly what you mean. Felt that way since 1983 when USRA took over production of the Winchester line. The only two that interested me were the "1894-1994" centennial guns and the not-produced take-down cataloged for 2006.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Same here. The newest gun I own is a Marlin in 44-40 that was built in 2000. I bought it more for the caliber than anything else.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

The only ones that look good to me are very expensive like Dakota, Cooper and Kimber bolt rifles. I may have bought one more USFA sixgun but that looks to be not possible now.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's a few I'm lusting after:

Lipsey's Ruger Bisley Vaquero with adjustable rear site

Chapuis UGEX SxS in 9.3x74R

The only new production levergun I'd consider: Big Horn Armory Model 89 Carbine

I almost forgot the 1887 Winchester clone made by Chiappa Arms :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Been many years since I lusted over a new production gun.

Post by KWK »

There's plenty to lust over from Uberti as well as the numerous small production shops in Europe and the US.

From the big US factories, I admit there's not much worthy of lust. They mostly cater to the practical--cheap and effective--end of the market, ie. plastic stocked bolt guns.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, I have often gone to the Shiloh Sharps website and longed for one of those amazing rifles. They make stuff I would be overjoyed to own spanking new.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There are several new Ruger handguns that I want but they cant seem to build them fast enough to get any available.
If you find a distributor that has any they are already allocated. :x
I got lucky and found a new Super Blackhawk 3 3/4"
Bisley SS last month though. :D
It`s a hand full with heavy loads. :lol:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Other than some of the more expensive specialty makers that are always there, it does seem to be slim picking out there. Some of the few highlights to me: I think the Ruger midframes are generally a fine lot - love my .357 Montado and .44 Sheriff twins especially and look forward to a flattop this (?) year. Beyond that, my most recent "new production" is a non-cataloged ca 2008 Colt SAA .44 Special that's a great piece that seems to live up to the prancing pony tradition of yore.

I echo the comment about some nice Ubertis out there (have a 2007 or so Model P that's great), and I'm one who also was looking forward to another USFA that doesn't look likely now...the apparently short-lived Double Eagle looked particularly fetching. I like the Chiappa 92s--am glad there's someone out there fairly faithfully recreating the Win (at least cosmetically) though sure wish it was US-made (old USFA fantasy of mine)--but have not heard lately how they're holding up.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:Well, I have often gone to the Shiloh Sharps website and longed for one of those amazing rifles. They make stuff I would be overjoyed to own spanking new.
Kirk, you'd not be disappointed. Mine's 25 years old; and still warms my heart to hold it. The fact that it was a gift from the wife, well... that's a plus.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Griff wrote:Mine's 25 years old; and still warms my heart to hold it. The fact that it was a gift from the wife, well... that's a plus.
Whoa! You got some wife! I think your wife and mine gotta talk. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:
Griff wrote:Mine's 25 years old; and still warms my heart to hold it. The fact that it was a gift from the wife, well... that's a plus.
Whoa! You got some wife! I think your wife and mine gotta talk. :D
She's a pip... that's for sure. Told me a coupla months ago that I needed another safe. Said her rifle was getting scratched bein' shoved around in the back! She wanted it closer to the front!

Keeps me on my best behavior!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I feel the same Rihmfire. The modern firearms world is pretty much lost on me. I can only shake my head at the characterless drone/clones lined up side by side....answers to problems that never really existed. The New Bearcat I got a few years ago and the Marlin 39a about six years ago have been fun though....joy can still be had if you look hard enough for it. Usually joy involves finding old stuff that is in good shape these days.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My eyeballs are attracted to muzzle-loaders, too. I bought this flintlock last summer and have had a ball loading and shooting! I learned how to hold the rifle tight during ignition; 2 inch groups at 50 yards seem to be best I can do.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would agree. Only modern firearms I seem attracted to are specialty items and are high end. My defense equip of hand gun, shotgun, bolt rifle, and EBR are all old designs , just enhanced. My black powder rifle is a custom built flintlock, just couldn't get excited by any over the counter high production rifles. My hunting shotgun goes back to 1920 and came from England. I do have a Shiloh sharps and love their stuff. Dakota and Swarovski are mated for my go anywhere hunting rig, my leverguns are generally older styling (1920 for one and a bit newer marlin), and my other centerfire bolt gun is from England made for hunting the dark continent. My remaining guns are just tools. A savage bolt gun with silencer in 22 lr, a ruger bearcat, a smith mountain gun. Even my pellet rifle is of older styling. Most guns I look at now I can't afford and can't justify spending money on based on perceived need or niche they fill.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I've done plenty of lusting after the fine rifles coming out of Big Timber, Montana -- both Shiloh and C. Sharps -- and the high walls from Wyoming Armory as well as the model 44 1/2 from CPA.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Some of the six shooters Ruger has been coming out with can make your heart beat faster particularly the 44 Specials.

The Ballard rifle company is making some very nice high walls and low walls and Ballards.

I really like the CZ side by side shotguns and the 452 bolt action 22's they make.

There are some good guns out there
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I agree. I did buy a new Winchester High wall in 45-70 a couple years ago. But all the New stuff that has caught my eye in the last decade has been handguns,Ruger 44 special , Ruger Bisley 45 colt. I really want a Ruger Sp101 22 with the 4 inch barrel.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There's a few.

I like the new Ruger 1911, but I wish they made a CCO version.

The Uberti 4" SS 1858s are really nice. Second only to the Unobtanium ROA IMO.

The Rossi Rio Grande .410 is worth lusting over for plain utility.

There is a Czechoslovak .50 BMG that is super cool from a portability/engineering/recoil standpoint.

And the Keltec RFB is pretty cool too... especially when suppressed...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've been thinking about this a bit more and will say that a Rossi 92 in 480 Ruger would be nice. But those are as scarce as hen's teeth.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Other than new Colt SAAs and a Winchester 9422 MAG I have found no others that I like in my price range. I am looking for a 1911 but can't get fired up on the new ones. :? RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

While I do like those Shilohs, I have a Sharps repro and don't need another and there are some nice Ubertis I have many of them too. It is sad that there aren't any US major gun makers that make a gun that lights my fire. It is highly likely I'll be getting another Italian.

Owen
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've been like that for 30 years. I did buy a black gun Colt AR, a few SKS's and an M1-A and then spent half again as much to equip 'em......but................they are tools for the up and coming revolution.

Goodold guns are no different than depositing money in the bank with a high yield account and its tax free to boot.----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Marvin S wrote:I may have bought one more USFA sixgun but that looks to be not possible now.
I appear to have missed some news. What's up with USFA?
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Marvin's. look here. Www.usfasingleactions.com. They have not gone away. Just into a new thing on old site. Zip guns.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`d like to see some company make a modern repo of the early top break Smith and Weason pocket pistols.
32 or 38 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

rjohns94 wrote:Marvin's. look here. http://Www.usfasingleactions.com. They have not gone away. Just into a new thing on old site. Zip guns.
It does appear they are in the process and the new site is just a temporary filling...looks like only one gun, their main Single Action" (appx SAA equivlent) with darn few options and only a few calibers). Doesn't look promising. And, unfortuntely, there's been little if any refutation--by them or others--over these past several months with any specifics to the contrary. (Their paragraph about "not resting on their laurels" or some such does little to comfort). Sad if the case. Darn fine shootin' irons.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I agree, but the originals aren't high enough priced yet for them to take an interest.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.