Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pullnshoot25
Levergunner 1.0

Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Post by pullnshoot25 »

So I have a Puma 92 .44mag but that isn't cutting it for my levergun lust and I am now jonesing for a .45-70 levergun. Ideally, I would get an 1886 (if for any other reason, "Crossfire Trail" was a good levergun action movie) but that is kind of out of my price range at the moment. What are my options for a good levergun in that caliber? What years should I be looking for? Should I stave off my lust for a while and save up for the "real deal"?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Jonesing for a .45-70 levergun

Post by Blaine »

pullnshoot25 wrote:So I have a Puma 92 .44mag but that isn't cutting it for my levergun lust and I am now jonesing for a .45-70 levergun. Ideally, I would get an 1886 (if for any other reason, "Crossfire Trail" was a good levergun action movie) but that is kind of out of my price range at the moment. What are my options for a good levergun in that caliber? What years should I be looking for? Should I stave off my lust for a while and save up for the "real deal"?
If I were on a budget looking for The Real Deal, I'd look up an older pre-safety Marlin 1895 of some sort that was a little ugly from being banged around. If the guts are primo, you'll get a heck of a deal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What BlaineG said +1... They are around and a nice one will bring way less than the average Winchester.
Best thing is, they are great shooters. :wink:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

You could do worse than an older Marlin 1895. If you want "cool" get the Cowboy with the longer, octagonal barrel. Easy to carry, look for a shorty guide gun.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'm considering a Rossi Rio Grande stainless steel 45/70 to help deal with our salty humid air.

If you want to buy American Henry offers their 45/70. I refuse to buy a new Remlin/Marlington 45/70 due to QC issues.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I just bought this for $800. It came with a scope which shot LeverRevolution 325 grain FTX rounds from Hornady 2.5 in at 100 yards.

I too was trying to get a 45-70 lever. I was very concerned about the Marlin because I couldn't find one with a full length magazine. The Guide Guns are very accurate and well suited both to cowboy action and hunting. However, I desparately wanted a higher magazine capacity with an octogon barrel.

I have zero regret oveer buying this gun.

If you are a reload, you might consider if the marlins you look at have microgroove or ballard rifling. Despite what people say, microgroove is as accurate, or better, but you should use very hard cast lead in them.

Good Luck! I do see people at my cowboy club shooting replica 1886, which are very pretty and reasonably accurate, but the Marlin was and is a tru rifle, not a replica.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ji,
I have the stainless one with the laminated stock.
That Model should work for you.