Rats in my loading room.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Rats in my loading room.

Post by M. M. Wright »

Anyone else have trouble keeping the rats from eating the SPG lube out of their grease grooves? I use about foot long pieces of 1x6 boards to set my lubed and sized bullets on after running them through the sizer. Sometimes I have several boards stacked up with my 44 bullets on them. Then there are the big .458 or .461 bullets in several weights so normally I have bunches of bullets sitting around. Lately I started having bullets scattered around the benches or on the floor with most of lube gone and tooth marks in the lead. Tried some mouse traps baited with peanut butter but they would just be sprung and licked clean. Got out a couple of small leg hold traps and baited them up with peanut butter. Caught a big one. About 10 or 11 inches without the tail. A couple of days later I got another about 8 or 9 inches. These were white footed pack rats.
Guess I'll have to start keeping my bullets in metal cans with lids. Today I started to grind the venison I killed a couple of weeks ago and the cutter blades from my antique meat and coffee grinder are gone. Nice shiny piece of steel. I doubt it is possible to find a replacement but I can make one in probably 20 hours or so but I hate rats!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rats in my loading room.

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep mouse-traps set.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your going to have to start running a trap line. The fall brings mice into the basement , where I have set up a trap line. It's a lot work , get up at the crack of dawn and check the trap line before I go to work. :lol:

As far as rats go , get a standard rat trap and screw it to a support post or wall at a height where the rat has to stand on his back legs to eat and you it get them by the head.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

M. M. Wright,

Sounds like you could go varmint hunting right in your own shop. Them rats are as big as a couple of my cats. Eww.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm with You Mr. Wright, don't have time for Rats in the Man Cave. I had Walnut media stored in gallon baggies in a cabinet, talk about a mess. Caught one rat in a live trap which the Cat ate. Hope You catch em all.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about Democrats ...
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:And here I thought this was going to be a thread about Democrats ...
Drat, beat to it! :lol:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Caught one rat in a live trap which the Cat ate.
and those live traps are pretty big.

Actually, the droppings make excellent filler.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Don't you need permits from the EPA to harm rats? The furry germ factories are knocking on Alberta's door!!!!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BenT wrote: As far as rats go , get a standard rat trap and screw it to a support post or wall at a height where the rat has to stand on his back legs to eat and you it get them by the head.
That's genius! I wish I'd known about that trick when we had them a couple of years ago...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Connibear traps suspended by a string work great too. On the big ones they catch both ends. Set flat on floor or ground they are jump traps.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

MM,
No rats in the loading room. We have cats and our dogs are "ratters". Don't even have any in the barn.

The only rats I deal with are the big variety---about 6' tall and weigh close to 200. Some even weigh close to 300. They are all over here.........where I work. :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

The mice and rats have started moving in from the fields here since starting getting cold. I use some stuff called RATMAX made by Enforcer Products. Little poison pellets in separate bags, just cut a hole in the bag and the rats do the rest. Stuff works great, and best thing is the rats and mice disappear and they don't STINK once they die. I get it at the local hardware store.
UNITE