Marlin 336 in 35 rem fail to eject

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 336 in 35 rem fail to eject

Post by rjohns94 »

So, I just got done ordering a receiver sight and two boxes of ammo for this Marlin. I loaded the rifle and was just going to cycle a mag of ammo through it when much to my surprise, the bolt disengages the cartridge rim and when I go to eject the round from the chamber, the round remains in the chamber every single time. The extractor seems to have plenty of force. But something must be up. Any clews please?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 in 35 rem fail to eject

Post by Paladin »

Any rings in the chamber from bad treatment before you? Does the extractor have the end broken off? Sorry for the questions but need more info or pictures.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a 336 that the cartridge didn't slip up UNDER the extractor, but rather rode up in front of it. The bolt could close fully without the extractor clipping closed over the rim. Some careful work with a hand-file fixed it, but I had another 336 to compare to to be sure I was on the right track.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:I had a 336 that the cartridge didn't slip up UNDER the extractor, but rather rode up in front of it. The bolt could close fully without the extractor clipping closed over the rim. Some careful work with a hand-file fixed it, but I had another 336 to compare to to be sure I was on the right track.
Right. Its a mechanical device. Get an empty case and color the rim area real good with a black magic marker...let it dry and send that baby home. You will see what is happening.

If you slam the lever shut you will most likely engage the extractor over the rim. Like Doc says, a little filing will do the trick.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Its obviously just lonely and looking for attention. :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Does the extractor end on the bolt face look clean and sharp? Like it's going over far enough to catch the rim, and not bent or damaged? It should hold a cartridge against the bolt face with the bolt out of the gun, or show you if it's engaging well.

Is it possible someone rebarreled it from a 30-30, or it ended up with a 30-30 bolt in it somehow? The bolt face is different between the two rounds (30-30 should have a larger rim and bolt face). It may have had a 30-30 extractor installed in it. Looking at the bolt out of the gun with a cartridge in it should tell something.

Does the cartridge come out of the chamber easily without the bolt? As in, is the chamber dirty or sticky, or is it the bolt/extractor that's just not pulling it out?
Last edited by Malamute on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks guys. Took it apart extractor had no ridge or sharp claw. Did the blackening that jack suggested. No extractor engagement Ordered a new one from numrich. Thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Mike are you sure there isn`t a claw on the end of the extractor.
They are known to bend and not have enough tension.
If there`s a claw you can remove it and bend it a little to give it more tension.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

There is barely a ridge there. It couldn't grab a tissue. Completely gone.
Mike Johnson,

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rjohns94 wrote:There is barely a ridge there. It couldn't grab a tissue. Completely gone.
Easy fix anyway :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yeppers!
Mike Johnson,