Bought some permethrin at Tractor Supply

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Bought some permethrin at Tractor Supply

Post by bigbore442001 »

After Church the wife and I had breakfast and did some shopping. While out and about this morning I stopped at Tractor Supply for some Permethrin. I have read on some bushcraft forums on how to take the permethrin concentrate,dilute it and soak your outdoor clothing in it to repel ticks and the like. In the past I have bought Sawyer Permethrin Military style clothing soak but can't seem to find it. You can get spray but it is expensive. I did look for the Sawyer Spray at Wally world and TSC but they didn't have it.

What you do is construct a solution of .5 percent and soak what hunting or outdoor clothing you intend to use. I bought some 10 percent solution and mixed 5 1/2 ounces of the concentrate to 128 ounces of warm water in a five gallon pail with a lid. I put my Rancho Safari ghillie suit in the bucket and swirled it around a bit. I am letting it soak for an hour or so then I intend to let it dry out. The next thing will be three pairs of pants that I normally wear in the outdoors.

This should treat the clothing for several weeks. So hopefully by mid to late November the ticks will have died off.

Anyone else treat their clothing?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought some permethrin at Tractor Supply

Post by BigSky56 »

I just use my permiethin horse spray and douse myself, horse & dogs before I hit the brush keeps the ticks, buffalo gnats and deer flies at bay but not the big horse flies also if I am fur hunting I put the animal in a plastic bag and spray them down gets rid of fleas and ticks. danny
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago I was out in the hills one day. Resting on top of a ridge I had just climbed I saw some young deer come running down the opposite slope with a coyote chasing them. I pulled out my sixgun and as they came closer I dropped the coyote.

Checking him over I found he had a very nice coat and decided to take him back to the house and skin him and tan the hide. I threw him around my neck and started home. It was about an hour's walk and by the time I got to the house my head was itching like crazy!

Twyla checked me over and sure enough I had all his fleas. - dang... making me itch now just recalling it!

I got into the shower and used the Hartz Three-in-One flea and tick shampoo for the dogs and I can testify that it does work.

You might want to keep a bottle around ....... :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jim I got a nice yote a couple weeks ago I could see the fleas on him looked like a 3 ring circus, sprayed and bagged the songdog & them little devils. They were big enough to put on a hook for bait :shock: danny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Found out the hard way in '73 that I was allergic to the stuff. Uncle Sam used it with glee in many places. A couple of days in the hospital trying to breath is a hard was to learn. Why two days. The darned stuff got into the hopitals AC. I just kept on breathing it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad