Retiring tomorrow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Retiring tomorrow

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

After some 46 years of working (including 3 yr. in the Army)
I officially retire tomorrow.Problem is, my boss ,who has been very good to me, will be left without a mechanic to do my job. Small engine mechanics that have worked on everything from model airplane engines on up to Caterpillars are hard to find and it seems the young fellers now just want to stand at the front counter and play with their cell phones.

So I told him I am willing to do a couple days a week.

We will see how it goes. ??? :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Retiring tomorrow

Post by Blaine »

Good for you. I can honestly say that the last five weeks or so have been great, relaxing, and my BP has gone down a bit. I've got more riding and fishing in than I have for quite awhile. Congratulations!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Congratulations :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Somehow, I think you are going to be alright :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno - I walked out the door the MINUTE I was eligible for retirement (8 years ago), never looked back despite being called & asked back on a limited basis, and have never regretted my decision for a clean break.

NOW, with the addition of a "Honey - DO" list, I'm busier each day than I ever was, when I was actually a "working stiff". (Now, I'm just stiff ;) ) . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:. . . it seems the young fellers now just want to stand at the front counter and play with their cell phones.
Yep. The women are ten times worse, even.

Since I employ so many of that type, and given what Obummer has done to the cost and quality of healthcare, and what they've all done to the economy, I think my income-catches-up-with school-debt plus business-debt at around age 74, so there will be no retirement for me :( ; good thing I at least really like my job! Fortunately that's the same year my life insurance expires, or my wife would probably kill me for my insurance about then. :o
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations - that is quite the accomplishment!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Congratulations on retiring. But your willingness to help a man who has been apparently both employer and friend is just one more example of what is right with older workers and wrong with many of the young ones. Not all, but likely the majority.

The last time we hired someone it took almost two years to find the right man. We're starting to talk about hiring another, but are seriously wondering if we can find the type of individual that understands what work is and doesn't need someone constantly looking over his shoulder.

Funny thing is I've had employees from some of my customers hint and outright state they'd like a job with us. But truthfully, I wouldn't hire any of them. Need another part time job?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Good for You, U seem to be OK with it. Dedicated employees are hard to find. U might hint at being Shop Mgr and get rid of the dead beats. I've yet to see anyone just work a couple days a week. First thing U know You are back to full time before You realize it. You were planning on taking some time off first were You not ? When I got out of the Army in 68 the stark reality set in and I thought to Myself " Oh MY, I have to work the rest of My Life". That didn't happen though. People ask Me now if I am retired, I can only say "I guess so, I haven't worked in 10 years", I just kinda slid into it with a work injury.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Congratulations Sir! :D

Dave B
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! Enjoy it!
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulation Chuck. I hope you enjoy having more free time.

Maybe in 6 months or so you'll feel like going back a few days a week.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Congratulations, at least you control your time now.

It might also be fun/rewarding for you to find and train someone who really wants to learn.

It might also be fun/rewarding to grab cell phones out of some people's hands and smash them against the wall.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I worked in my Dad's lawn mower shop. No substitute for what you have got. Stay at it on some basis.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good For You. Enjoy. :D :D .
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Congratulations, mate.
If you want to still keep your hand in you could tell the boss that you will come in and do the jobs that the young'uns can't work out. On the other hand it you want to retire then go ahead and retire, after all, your boss knew how old you were when he hired you so he had plenty of time to train up your replacement.
Some years ago I worked with a bloke who didn't know what he was going to do with himself now that he was retired, about six months after his retirement I ran into him at a works drinking session and asked him how his life of leisure was going, and he said "life of leisure, my butt, I'm so busy I don't know how I ever found time to go to work :lol: ".
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I worked in my Dad's lawn mower shop. No substitute for what you have got. Stay at it on some basis.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Congratulations and good luck :D :D :D
I have been at this retirement game for 13 years now, hard to beat it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Congratulations!

Enjoy every nanosecond of it........

Like Doc, I'll have to work 'til I die.

-Stretch
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My FIL, a tool & die man, does "specials" as a jobber just to keep his hand in and to make a bit of beer money (up to the limit SS will allow anyway...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just my opinion(only)

"if" ??? You can truly afford it-------------MAKE A CLEAN BREAK!

You have worked 46 years------------------(unless you absolutely love/have a passion for getting up and going to work I say its your time to (Retire)not kinda (Retire)

I have seen too many that I know that (SORT OF RETIRED)could retire but thought I want more money so they work say 2.5 days a week! Once that starts usually that gets up'd!
If that is the case(Don't retire yet and get in a position so you can retire)--------There is working/there is retirement.

What you are talking about is not retirement but moving into a part time job.
If you have a decent retirement(plus I assume SSI and 401K)most tiimes those that keep working a couple days (it cost them money)

Point in case-------My buddy(older guy)turned 60 years old(was going to retire)they have the incentive at age 60(with at least 20 years in) half salary/also 2 years pay spread over the next 5 years(till age 65)locked in medical.

He when working full time always bit##ed about his job.(couldn't wait to retire)his BP through the roof.(a basket case)
The week he was going to retire (they asked him)to work part time----he said OK

I said----ARE YOU NUTS????

Well, he kept working(his wife said)he still always was stressing(what they did,was not replace him but try to get him to do his full time job in 3 days(they asked for 4.0 extra hrs above his 2.5hrs ) He did it! :roll:

That was a year ago as of last month.
While at the dinner table in a middle of a RANT about trying to keep up(major heart attack-------died)

There is Retirement----
There is working Part Time-----
There is working Full Time-----

Hard to beat Retirement-------beginning a new chapter in your life.

Those that tell you(if they can "truly" afford to retire)-----retirement sucks--------are lying :lol:

Get the party/grandfather clock/hug your coworkers & friends at your party--------------------then don't walk but run to it!

JMHO

Whatever-----Congrats/Good Luck/God Bless :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. I retired once but now I'm just tired :? Blessings and may you be fruitful in your retirement years
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My only complaint since I retired in '99 is that there are no "days off". Actually, I have so many projects that I will never live long enough to finish them all.

Glad for your retirement.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BlaineG wrote:Good for you. I can honestly say that the last five weeks or so have been great, relaxing, and my BP has gone down a bit. I've got more riding and fishing in than I have for quite awhile. Congratulations!
Congrats Chuck! And if you think the first 5 weeks are great, wait till you have 5 years in and you still love every day of it! September 14th will be 5 years for me and my wife and I can honestly say that they have been the best 5 years in our lives.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Last day at GM was the last of March 1999.
I have smiled every day since!
No regrets at all.
Life is good.

They have just stopped production this week.
Just house cleaning left & gone for good.

hayabusa
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks guys!!
You all do give good advice. The boss knows I only want to be part time to earn disposable income.
I have a retirement from the machinist union and social security that add up to more than I have been making for the last 11 years.
SS said, since I retired at full age requirement I can make as much money as I want without affecting my SS benefit.
That means my gun collection can keep growing. :D :D :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

stretch wrote:Congratulations!

Enjoy every nanosecond of it........

Like Doc, I'll have to work 'til I die.

-Stretch

me three! thankfully, i also love my work.
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congrats, enjoy some time off. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Congrats. I will probably have to work till I kick off. But, I enjoy what I do... just wish I could afford more time off.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think the guy who stayed in and died as a result. A solution might be to look for something more casual.

It may be better to continue doing something rather than nothing. Kodak used to have a program to bring in their retirees for a day a week or so as consultants. Why? Because 90% of male retirees were dead in a year if they didn't. Some people stress if they have nothing to do, and it's the wrong kind of stress.

Lots of men retire and then don't make it through the year, because they weren't ready to be retired and "useless". Probably less of a problem these days, and I don't think it would apply to me. But it might apply to doctors, executives, managers, people who were pretty important and then all of the sudden, aren't anymore. You can see it's a matter of perception, who feels that way and who doesn't.

There are fun jobs out there and volunteering, too. Also I don't think hunters or musicians have this problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some views on the subject:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/27/retire ... rglas.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _die_.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... l-you.html
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."