OT - DVR~~~ Need advice please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

OT - DVR~~~ Need advice please

Post by Windjammer »

I'm wanting to buy a dvd recorder. Can anyone recomend a good one, or which to stay away from? I've never owned one and don't know anything about them.

I've seen refurbushed ones, grade "A" for about 30% off new price. Is this a good deal, or should I go ahead and buy new?

Another thing, I have a fairly new flat screen LCD HD TV, with alot of outlets. Can I leave my VCR hooked up and use the DVR also?

I look forward to any help.

To the list owner...... I think the notice of a reply to my email is great. I don't know of another list that does this.
Reqards,
Windjammer
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

SONY MAKES A GOOD ONE
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Go with a big name. I tried a cheapo that I found on sale, and could never get it to work right. Didn't learn my lesson, bought another cheapo, and it worked for about a month. Looks like I'll end up buying a Sony here shortly...
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Just in case it wasn't a typo, "DVR" and "DVD recorder" aren't the same thing.

DVR records to hard disk.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

My DVD recorder has both a hard disk and a DVD player/recorder. So I can store stuff on the hard drive (TV shows, VHS tapes, pictures, etc) and then burn copies or convert to DVD. This is the way to go.

I could go on and on about the specs for these, but here are some highlights:

Get the largest hard drive that makes sense for the money; 80 GB minimum.

Check the connection type of your LCD. Some have HDMA, or component, or S-video, etc. Make sure your DVDR is compatible.

Since you have a HD TV, look for the models that up-convert DVDs to give you a better picture. If you're really flush, might as well go for a Blu-Ray one now that they've settled on a format for HD DVD.

I have my VCR hooked into both my DVDR and my audiovisual receiver. No problem using both or copying from one to another.

Prices have dropped to a point where it doesn't seem to make sense to buy a used one, though YMMV.

Look for a double-density DVDR; you get twice as much (2 hours) on a DD DVD as a normal one, which allows a movie to fit on one DVD as opposed to two. Make sure it operates with both dash ("-") and plus ("+") DVDs (and HD if you go in that direction). Most nowadays do.

Choose a major brand -- Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Hitachi, Mitsubishi. Stay avay from Samsung, RCA, no-name brands and the like (just MHO).

Plenty more to say, but most of the other differences are around specific features (e.g., like extended recording, ability to edit, add titles, etc., 1080p vs. 1080i, etc.). Based on your note, probably differences you won't notice.

Good luck. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Bruce
Last edited by alnitak on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

Thanks to everyone. You've been most helpful.
Reqards,
Windjammer