Sights for Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Sights for Model 71

Post by Marlin32 »

Anyone use Fire Sights, red dot type sight for a Model 71?? I see Turnbull has a mount for it. I think it is a 4 MOA dot, If I were ever to use one, would think a 1 or 2 MOA would be better.
How far do you think you could shoot with one?? Could you shoot an animal at 300yds with confidence??

What about putting a scout scope on a Browning 71? Can you shoot to 300 yds with it?
I know its "possible" but is it in reality easy enough??
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sights for Model 71

Post by Leverluver »

I believe that Turnbull also makes a scout scope type mount that attaches to the front sight dovetail but I think they are also intended for holographic sights. I don't know if just a dovetail mount would be strong enough for the weight of a scope. In any case it comes out pretty butt ugly. A 4MOA dot is a pretty usable size. Smaller than that and they would be pretty hard to find quickly. Personally I don't think that the 71 and 348 are 300 yard tools. Bullet velocity has bled off to a pretty low figure by 300 yards to where expansion would be iffy.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Leverluver is right. The Model 71 in .348 WCF was intended for the taking of big at close range in cover. It was never intended for long range sniping. Don't scope it. A good receiver sight like a Lyman or Williams is all you need. Use it for what it was intended and be happy. If you want to shoot at long range, and have the ability to do so, get a more suitable firearm.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Marble's Bullseye on the rear, plus a green or yellow 'firesight' on the front, seems to be a very fast yet accurate combination.

My only 'beef' with the Marble's Bullseye is that it is (like most 'factory' sights) a 'drift-adjustable' rear sight, which means a bit more range-time needed to sight in your windage precisely. HOWEVER once it's sighted in, a nice punch-peen on the dovetail edge, and your sight is going to be 'on' no matter what...! Two of the three models available come with elevators, although for a 'dangerous game' rifle, I'd prefer to do my adjusting by altering the front bead height, and leaving the elevator off.

Here's some aperture sight pics and comments if you find them useful...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I was unaware of the Turnbull red dot mount for the M-71. Thanks for the info. I looked at their website, and sure enough...it's ugly as original sin. HOWEVER.....a guy might give it a try if the old eyes are getting too bad to shoot the 71 at it's potential. I know...I sound like I'm trying to talk myself either into getting one, or OUT of getting one. Can't make up my mind I suppose. I love my old 71, but don't feel very confident much past 50-75 yds. with the irons.
Marlin32....you can stop wondering about the .348 @ 300 yds. That would be an incredibly poor choice.
Allow me to share my Dad's experience. I'm VERY aware this is not typical, but it's a good story, and I enjoy telling it:
Shortly after WWII, Dad was on a horseback/pack train/ tent camp Elk hunt in Montana with the M-71.
Stepped out of his wall tent first morning with his rifle, as he was stretching, sort of "getting his legs under him"...an Elk that had bedded down nearby stood up. A bit less than 40 yds as he told it ...brought the rifle up, put the Elk down...hunt over.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Browning 71's are very accurate and with the new Hornady gummy tip 348 bullet, it might be possible. If I wanted to do that sort of thing though, and it needed to be a levergun, I'd pick a BLR in 325 WSM.

I did read somewhere (maybe it was on Turnbull's site) that someone was looking at making a scope mount base like those on Ruger No.1's to fit QD rings. Something like that plus a peep sight would make quite a versatile sighting arrangement.
Gila Jorge
Levergunner

Post by Gila Jorge »

I use a Williams peep sight and not their fire sight...this is my second one and its a Browning Deluxe Rifle...the furthers I hsave shot with it was 125 yards and the sclosest was in N Michigan woods at about 15-35 yards....if I needa 300 yard gun it would be my 338 Win Mag...4-12 scope....I am 66 and have bad eyes byut the peep is your best bet...and keep within its intended range,...the 125 was stretching...with 200gr Rem Core Lokts bull nose bullets...I call em bang flops...becuase your guns goes bang and the deer flops...nuff said...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One other thought - you can put a Burris Fastfire-II on just about anything, with a little creativity. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "