OT-Colt SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Colt SAA

Post by marlinman93 »

Went to a crummy gun show this morning, but did find what I think was a good buy on a Colt SAA. It's a .357 magnum, with 5 1/2" barrel, made in 1978, and still NIB!
Seller had it priced at $1250, but after a short haggling process I got out the door at $950. I've always wanted one, and thought this was a good deal for an unfired early 3rd Gen Colt.
Mainspring seems a bit heavier than my AWA .45 SAA, but the trigger is crisp and clean. It wont stay unfired for long!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Wow!
Good bargaining and a good buy, nice going. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Marlinman, Good snag. Like you said, the early 3rd's have a nicer fit & finish, plus you get the nice wood grain box, not some stupid looking blue piece of modern junk plastic.

My experience with Colt handguns chambered in .357 are most always better shooters than S&W. Pythons and SAA's slug out at .357 as opposed to S&W's .358, along with tighter chamber mouths of the Colts. (hey! what are you doing with handgun and a semi-modern at that?) :D :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sixgun,
How come YOU know what the bore measures
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sounds like good deal to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote:Marlinman, Good snag. Like you said, the early 3rd's have a nicer fit & finish, plus you get the nice wood grain box, not some stupid looking blue piece of modern junk plastic.

My experience with Colt handguns chambered in .357 are most always better shooters than S&W. Pythons and SAA's slug out at .357 as opposed to S&W's .358, along with tighter chamber mouths of the Colts. (hey! what are you doing with handgun and a semi-modern at that?) :D :D
Yea, wood grain box, with strofoam insert. :wink:
Thanks for the info. As I said, I've always admired and lusted for a real Colt, but they seemed to keep increasing in value at such a rate that I just couldn't justify the prices.
I had a 7 1/2" SAA in .357 before, but didn't care for the long barel's balance. Traded it for an original 1875 Rem. .44-40. This 5 1/2" has really good balance

Image.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I agree with Sixgun, you got a good deal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

mm93,

Well it looks like you got more than a Marlin and Ballard magnet!

I think you did really good! I've never had a real COLT to compare them to but I know my U.S. Firearms single actions sure bring me a lot of happiness.

I got a new generation Smith&Wesson Schofield to compare the balance and feel of the Colts to and there is NO COMPARISON! Colt knew what they were doing when they used the Navy grip frame size and geez it just feels great in your hand.

I agree with you on barrel length too. I got that Nettleton .45SAA, then I got a 4 3/4" .45 also and when and if I order one in .38-40 it'll be either 4 3/4" or the 5 1/2" like you just got. Won't be another 7 1/2", I just like the feel of the shorter guns better. But you just about have to try them all to see what works and feels best for you. That's what I'm in the process of doing.

Also I like the fact you are going to shoot this nice little Colt! No sense leaving them tucked away. Great attitude!

Geoff
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Have fun with your Colt SAA! They are like no other!
"That'll Be The Day"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Vall, you did plumb good on that deal like I told you before God will still smile on us when He wants to. I bought my Colt .45 SAA 5 1/2 inch in 1959 and it is still my main carry piece most of the time.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pictures? PLEASE!

Congrats! I bet it looks a lot like this :D :

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:Marlinman, Good snag. Like you said, the early 3rd's have a nicer fit & finish, plus you get the nice wood grain box, not some stupid looking blue piece of modern junk plastic.
What stupid looking blue piece of modern junk plastic :?:

"the early 3rd's have a nicer fit & finish" (hummm :? )

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:
What stupid looking blue piece of modern junk plastic :?:

"the early 3rd's have a nicer fit & finish" (hummm :? )

Casastahle,
Yes, I should have remembered they got better after a junk period of about 10 years. There was a time when fit and finish declined and when you bought one, it came in a ugly blue plastic box. This was in the late eighties and early nineties when they retailed for about $900. I have a few and they all needed a complete takedown and polishing of parts.
fast forward a few years and they started coming in nice boxes like yours and they were tuned much better. I have only bought 2 of them but have yet to shoot 'em as I had 'em custom serialed numbered. The below SA Colt is not mine but belongs to a guy out West who bought it from my buddy Tom. It was a Colt showpiece at the Shot Show in 2001. Was master engraved by John Adams Sr.----Has a full blue frame and if you notice, no screws through the frame.-----ONE piece ivories with solid gold medallions.------------She's a beauty

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That is one sharp looking Colt :D
Where did he get the solid gold medallions?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I bought a NIB 32-20, with the 7.5" barrel, last year. Dealer sold it to me for $1125 because the "new" blue box had a couple of splits in the corner. It was everthing I had hoped for.

Vall,
I know you're doing like I did and just sat at home cocking it and listening to the CLICK....CLICK.....CLICK......CLICK . :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

casastahle wrote:That is one sharp looking Colt :D
Where did he get the solid gold medallions?
Whoever does the grips for Colt got them. Colt subcontracts most of its custom grips and engraving out.--------Sixgun BTW-it sold for $6500
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Gotta love a Colt SAA. I do.
Old Law Dawg
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Clones and copies are nice, but no matter which one you choose, it will never be a COLT.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun,

I recall that gun, somewhere I saw the secret as to how it's assembled.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Sixgun,

Griff,
One night we were playing around Targetmaster and I tell Tom that I'm gonna take that engraved SA apart to see what made it tick. He knows I can take one completely apart and back again in a couple of minutes. He tells me if I take that screwless frame SA Colt apart, he's going outside and is going to start working on my Jeep Rubicon with an 1911 loaded with Cor-Bons :D -----------------Sixgun
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got three clones too. An AWA .45 Colt, a Cimarron Uberti .32-20, ad a very early Ubert adjustable sight .38 Spl. with the brass grip frame.
I actually like them all, and they shoot well. The early Uberti broke the hammer notch years ago, and I replaced the hammer and pawl with a Colt SAA version. It's been great since that one repair.
The AWA has the nicest action, even lighter than the Colt, but not as crisp. I think I'll probably replace the mainspring, (or rework it) on the Colt, as it seems too heavy when cocking it. Other than that it's much nicer fit and finish than the others.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:Sixgun,

Griff,
One night we were playing around Targetmaster and I tell Tom that I'm gonna take that engraved SA apart to see what made it tick. He knows I can take one completely apart and back again in a couple of minutes. He tells me if I take that screwless frame SA Colt apart, he's going outside and is going to start working on my Jeep Rubicon with an 1911 loaded with Cor-Bons :D -----------------Sixgun
:lol: :lol:
I think I'd go real slow on taking his Colt apart! I wouldn't worry too much, they built plenty of Jeep Rubicons. You do have comprehensive, right?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!