What do you use your .357 lever gun for?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

What do you use your .357 lever gun for?

Post by azmark »

Bolt action are nice and everything, but I find mine a little awkward. I don't have iron sights and the scope always seems to be in the way. I have a .357 revolver already, so......
Mark Dickinson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you use your .357 lever gun for?

Post by pwl44m »

Mine fills an empty slot in My safe. Other than that it hasn't been fired and it is over 20 years old.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I don't have a .357 levergun. But I do have a .45 Colt levergun and a Ruger Blackhawk. I use them mostly for fun shooting, although one coyote was dumb enough to get within my range (not the rifle's, mine, see my tag line). And, it works fine on jacks, but so does a .22, as I don't intend to eat it. Darned good for fairly close varmits (badgers and such), vaporizes ground squirrels, and I imagine it would work very well on two legged varmits.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I use to use it for shooting deer and now this fall, I can again. And just may do so.
(or have a young hunter who might)
Works good on coyotes when you call him too.
With 38 specials, it is fun to plink around with too!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Deer and hogs
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My first 'Night Scout' was made on a Marln 1894 in .357 Magnum, and the end result was good enough to shoot this three-shot group at 50 yards.

The group above was shot IN PITCH BLACK DARKNESS... :o :mrgreen:

That ability (made possible by the 'funny looking sights' and the quick-detach scope rings holding the high-intensity light) has made it useful as a 'chore' gun, for when we go out to check the livestock at night (or daytime - the sights work fine in bright sunlight too), close up the chickens, or just walk the property. It sure beats toting a big flashlight AND a gun (I carry a Mini-Mag Light for the stuff I may need more than starlight or moonlight for, and that I don't want to point a gun at). The usual targets aren't anything glamorous - possum's wiggling out under the chicken's coop with egg on their snouts, raccoons scurrying around the barn after eating a chicken, or feral dogs or coyotes skulking around the goat pastures. More feral cats than anything, actually.

I'm sure it would be a good home-defense gun too; I'd far rather shoot a pistol-caliber rifle at night and without hearing protection, than the traditional AR-15 my buddies recommend toting around if they go out to check their horses or whatever.

I made another in .45 Colt, and am working on one in .44 Magnum. So far I like the Colt one best. On the rare occasions something unknown goes 'bump in the night', my son and I will each grab one of the Night Scout leverguns if we go out to check things out.

Link to more on the concept and construction - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062

You commented about maybe preferring 'iron sights', and I must admit, in broad daylight, I'll typically grab my .44 Mag levergun that isn't a 'Night Scout' one yet, that currently wears just a Williams FP 'ghost-ringed'. But that's only because I have the luxury of having more than one levergun; the Night Scout would do just fine 24 hours a day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

The Night Scout looks really cool. I do want to try a hog hunt and I'm happy to hear that the .357 is being used. It always bugs me when people claim you need calibers large enough for a rhino to kill a pig. I admit to a lack of experience, but that just doesn't sound right even to me.
Mark Dickinson
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Deer, grouse and coyotes in that order.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

azmark wrote:The Night Scout looks really cool. I do want to try a hog hunt and I'm happy to hear that the .357 is being used. It always bugs me when people claim you need calibers large enough for a rhino to kill a pig. I admit to a lack of experience, but that just doesn't sound right even to me.
Same issue it always is.

It's where you put the bullet, not how big the bullet is.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

When I had one, I used it on rabbits, squirrels, grouse, coyotes, bobcats, deer, and just for fun.. Fact is, many many more shots were fired for fun than for any "serious" purpose.. The little .357 will bust rocks and pine cones in a most satisfactory manner, and will kick up a lot more dirt than a .22 rimfire.. It goes well with a handgun of the same chambering, and adds a little more range to a revolver's capabilities, for most shooters, at least...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I gave My EMF short rifle to My Daughter and Son-in-law for home defense. Paul shoots that rifle like a lazer and it's great fun just to watch Him shoot it.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

indoor range shooting it is allowed, plus I took a small pig with it.

May take it out at night for yotes or raccoons sometime. No sense having a long range rifle is your limitation is a flashlight.

Mine light and quite accurate with the Barnes XPB.

I have a longer barreled Legacy which is my favorite silhouette shooter.

The bullet is actually quite large, larger than 30-30. There's just a little more bullet drop.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've carried it for everything but mostly it eliminated 4-legged varmints and was easy to carry after deer. Then again, so did a .45 Colt lever gun. You pays your money and makes your choices. East of the Mississippi I don't think either is "wrong" but west of the big muddy I'd lean towards the .45 Colt loaded to approximate the .45-90 BP loads.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For fun, and the occasional varmint. Shoot mostly .38s through mine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

My .357 M92 Rossi is my favourite Hunting Rifle. I have hunted with a Bow for over 30 years and I do my Hunting with my .357 Lever Rifle at the same Range. I have found it adequite for every Pig I've ever encountered if ranges are kept under 50 yards and you place your Bullet well. It is a Feral Goat Rifle supreme

Its a geat Plinking Calibre as well, some shoot .38's but I dont but the option is there though. I shoot Cast projectiles and there is better Bang for the Buck Fun than a .357 Lever in my Book

regards Jacko
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

killed a lot of paper with mine....and thats about all
hope to change that this year...and use it on a hog
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Don't reckon I can add much cept to say you'll flat fall in love with a slick little Rossi 92 carbine. I have several lever guns but this one just seems to get more use. Could be because it sits buy the back door with 12 rounds ready for what ever, big or small, 4 legged or upright. I clipped the mag spring a tad and it works fine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mine are used for CAS. Slicked up they run real good. :wink:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:I've carried it for everything but mostly it eliminated 4-legged varmints and was easy to carry after deer. Then again, so did a .45 Colt lever gun. You pays your money and makes your choices. East of the Mississippi I don't think either is "wrong" but west of the big muddy I'd lean toward the .45 Colt loaded to approximate the .45-90 BP loads.
+1 ... i agree with you Hobie. i used to hunt Mule Deer with a .357Mag Marlin 1894c, but in the last couple of years i felt somewhat under-gunned for hunting Mule deer in the PacificNorthWest. i recently switched to a 30/30 and am very interested in a 35 Remington. yes, i read those articles and posts that claim that a 357Mag out of a rifle has the same punch as a 30/30. but in the end i found myself having more confidence with the ancient obsolete anemic 30/30--just a personal preference thing, nothing more, nothing less. the 357Mag in a levergun is a great cartridge rifle combo...lots of fun to shoot... :)
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Hobie wrote:I've carried it for everything but mostly it eliminated 4-legged varmints and was easy to carry after deer. Then again, so did a .45 Colt lever gun. You pays your money and makes your choices. East of the Mississippi I don't think either is "wrong" but west of the big muddy I'd lean towards the .45 Colt loaded to approximate the .45-90 BP loads.
Why go so heavy west of the Mississippi?
Mark Dickinson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh quit bragging. :wink: We all know you used a grade school pencil to poke those holes while you held a flash light on the target. :lol:

Personally I use the muzzle flash to illuminate my targets. It's more .... um sporting that way. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When in eons past I did once own a .357 lever gun I used it for fun. Never hunted anything with it but cans, bottles, rocks, and shot gun shells.
I had a load right out of the Hercules data sheet using 2400 and a 125gr Remington HJHP that I used to explode soda cans filled with water. I'd set them on a dollar coin, a real dollar coin, it had some bald guy on the front, then shoot the can. The can would simply explode and when you found the bottom the image of the coin would be imprinted on it. Lots of fun.

Sadly, I sold it for some stupid reason. I had bills to pay. :cry: :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

azmark wrote:
Hobie wrote:I've carried it for everything but mostly it eliminated 4-legged varmints and was easy to carry after deer. Then again, so did a .45 Colt lever gun. You pays your money and makes your choices. East of the Mississippi I don't think either is "wrong" but west of the big muddy I'd lean towards the .45 Colt loaded to approximate the .45-90 BP loads.
Why go so heavy west of the Mississippi?
Just cause there's some bigger stuff out that way, very generally speaking. One might not be really concerned until one got into grizzly country. Then again, I'd want something bigger. Those bears can be big and ARE fast and I know they do not "think" like a black bear. I'd want something a bit bigger for elk, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I originally bought mine for paper punching but I was getting too many wounded sheets so I upped the load to 180 grains driven hard and now use it almost exclusively for killing steel critters in CLAS and pistol caliber sillywet. Those heavy loads will do their job on 200 yd rams if I do mine.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:
Oh quit bragging. :wink: We all know you used a grade school pencil to poke those holes while you held a flash light on the target. :lol:
Nuh-uhh - I done used a piece of blackboard-chalk I stolt off the schoolmarm; them pencils is whut I use for the "30 caliber" fake ones... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Both my 357mag leverguns are my favorite range toys. Haven't hunted much with them but for all around fun plinkin out as far as 300 yds I don't have another rifle or carbine that's just so much fun and so inexpensive to shoot.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Both my 357mag leverguns are my favorite range toys. Haven't hunted much with them but for all around fun plinkin out as far as 300 yds I don't have another rifle or carbine that's just so much fun and so inexpensive to shoot.
I don't know about others here, but I must say COSteve, your Range Reports regarding your long-barreled .357 rifle have literally been an inspiration. So often leverguns are thought of being second-line to bolt guns, with perhaps the only advantage being rapid-fire, at the expense (supposedly) of long-range accuracy, and of power. It doesn't take many Youtube videos of hard-cast .444 and .45-70 bullets going through water jugs to blow away (word choice intentional) the myth that leverguns aren't potentially powerful. Still that leaves the casual onlooker with the impression that sure, they can be great bear-stoppers at close range, but that's about it. Anyone at that point need only read your Range Reports, and they will realize their perceptions on the 'limitations' of leverguns were wrong.

I'd hate to be a coyote within 300 yards of you, with that 'puny little .357 Mag levergun'...!

Anyway, thanks from me for all your .357 Mag posts; I'm sure many others here feel the same way.

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I have a Browning BL-92 in .357 that I have had since the 1980's sometime. Its constant companion is a Ruger BH. They are best friends and love to share ammo.

It was so pretty I couldn't pass it up, but my lever gun has not seen a lot of action because when I lived in Wyoming the caliber was not legal for big game, so it was used mostly for varmints and as a camp gun for personal protection. I don't think I would have done much hunting with it anyway because I don't think it is enough gun for big mule deer, elk or bear if the range is much beyond 75 to 125 yds. Could be wrong, but Wyoming laws never let me find out anyway. Here in Texas it has been used for whitetail and hogs with no problems.

I agree with Hobie. In grizzly bear country, I too think bigger is better, although I have spent many a day in griz country with a 30/30 and perhaps a .44 handgun. Someday I will have a 45/70 of some type just to make me sleep better in big nasty country.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

Utility gun supreme. John Taffin said something to the effect that "a 357 lever gun is the third most useful firearm you can own. First and second are a 22LR lever gun and a 22 LR revolver."

I had a custom 1892 WINCHESTER in 357 back in 1966. I drifted up to the 44 in '76, but I have usually had a 357 MARLIN tucked back in the safe ever since they came out in ? The 357 is a handy little gun, even the 24 inch Cowboy Rifle I prefer, and you wonder why you let it sit in the safe so long. I like the 44, even if I'm only about 5 miles west of the Mississippi river.

The wife heard some horrendous screaming in the timber behind the house awhile back. Since then, the local news has shown trail cam pictures of mountain lions in the area. I've heard reliable reports of black bear sightings also. The 357 will work; my favorite 44 will work too. There's always the 30/30 and 45/70....and bless me brothers, I will admit to EBRs in the safe also.

The 357 is a good choice for someone owning a 357 handgun. Less expensive ammo allows you to know the gun and its limitations. Use it in its effective range and you're well armed.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The Best thing about a .357 levergun is that it is about the best "gun of opportunity.." easy and light to carry, and a pocketful of ammo holds a lot more shots than the same pocketful of .45s.. That said, I gave up all but the occasional, transitory .357 when I came to Wyoming, over half a lifetime ago.. I had already discovered that the little .35's bark was way out of proportion to its bite, and my ears had paid a high price for that fact.. I became enamored of the .44 Spl somewhere along the line, but never found a levergun that would give me the accuracy and power I hoped for with that cartridge.. My family-heirloom .44 Colt Frontier sixshooter was interesting, but its little 200 gr bullets left something to be desired, as well, fired from that old relic.

By the time I settled here in the Cowboy State for good, I had drifted inexorably toward the .45 Colt and its wonderful potential, when used in appropriate firearms.. I made a complete excursion through the world of the .454 Casull, and learned a lot about internal ballistics in the process. I've been involved with both the short and long versions of John Linebaugh's .475, and have more-than passing acquaintence with some of the big .50s.. I always come back to the old war horse in one form or another. By applying Wyoming's kinetic energy rules, and loading to Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon levels, the .45 Colt becomes legal tender for hunting here, and proves amaxingly effective within 200 yeards or so..

That said, I sometimes miss the "fun" aspect of a .357 levergun, although I will never have a companion revolver for that cartridge again.. If I ever were in a position to pick up a .357 lever-action rifle/carbine again, I would only give serious consideration to a B-92 or its Winchester cousin.. But, that's just me and my 2-cents' worth...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I think the .357 carbine would be a great home defense gun and for prowling around in the woods.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Buck Elliott wrote:The Best thing about a .357 levergun is that it is about the best "gun of opportunity.." easy and light to carry, and a pocketful of ammo holds a lot more shots than the same pocketful of .45s.. That said, I gave up all but the occasional, transitory .357 when I came to Wyoming, over half a lifetime ago.. I had already discovered that the little .35's bark was way out of proportion to its bite, and my ears had paid a high price for that fact.. I became enamored of the .44 Spl somewhere along the line, but never found a levergun that would give me the accuracy and power I hoped for with that cartridge.. My family-heirloom .44 Colt Frontier sixshooter was interesting, but its little 200 gr bullets left something to be desired, as well, fired from that old relic.

By the time I settled here in the Cowboy State for good, I had drifted inexorably toward the .45 Colt and its wonderful potential, when used in appropriate firearms.. I made a complete excursion through the world of the .454 Casull, and learned a lot about internal ballistics in the process. I've been involved with both the short and long versions of John Linebaugh's .475, and have more-than passing acquaintence with some of the big .50s.. I always come back to the old war horse in one form or another. By applying Wyoming's kinetic energy rules, and loading to Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon levels, the .45 Colt becomes legal tender for hunting here, and proves amaxingly effective within 200 yeards or so..

That said, I sometimes miss the "fun" aspect of a .357 levergun, although I will never have a companion revolver for that cartridge again.. If I ever were in a position to pick up a .357 lever-action rifle/carbine again, I would only give serious consideration to a B-92 or its Winchester cousin.. But, that's just me and my 2-cents' worth...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't agree with you more Buck. Although I have a B-92 and a matching Ruger BH they are not my first choice. Currently my first choice is the .44 mag mostly because I no longer reload (stupid me) but I have developed a real interest in the .45 Colt. I have the handguns and I am looking for a proper levergun and I am experimenting with various commercial loads. I am pleasantly surprised with what a .45 can do. Do you suppose it has something to do with living in the west? :lol: :lol:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meeteetse wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:The Best thing about a .357 levergun is that it is about the best "gun of opportunity.." easy and light to carry, and a pocketful of ammo holds a lot more shots than the same pocketful of .45s.. That said, I gave up all but the occasional, transitory .357 when I came to Wyoming, over half a lifetime ago.. I had already discovered that the little .35's bark was way out of proportion to its bite, and my ears had paid a high price for that fact.. I became enamored of the .44 Spl somewhere along the line, but never found a levergun that would give me the accuracy and power I hoped for with that cartridge.. My family-heirloom .44 Colt Frontier sixshooter was interesting, but its little 200 gr bullets left something to be desired, as well, fired from that old relic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't agree with you more Buck. Although I have a B-92 and a matching Ruger BH they are not my first choice. Currently my first choice is the .44 mag mostly because I no longer reload (stupid me) but I have developed a real interest in the .45 Colt. I have the handguns and I am looking for a proper levergun and I am experimenting with various commercial loads. I am pleasantly surprised with what a .45 can do. Do you suppose it has something to do with living in the west? :lol: :lol:
By applying Wyoming's KE rules the .357 would work too... but try to convince a Fishy Game Cop of that. :evil:

But otherwise, it's the GoTo gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Meeteetse wrote:

By applying Wyoming's KE rules the .357 would work too... but try to convince a Fishy Game Cop of that. :evil:

But otherwise, it's the GoTo gun...
Had friends that worked for the G&F and argued that very point more than once. They said they couldn't monitor all the available types and levels of ammo, so they just banned the caliber. Funny, I know guys who carry a .44 mag (legal) but shoot .44 special. I also know how some of the 41 mag and 44 mag guys handload their ammo and it is far from good KE levels. Oh well. . . . . :? :?

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It seems to me that a .357 levergun would best be used for firing .357 or .38 special rounds out of. I don't think it would work well for firing .45 Colt rounds. (Someone had to say it.)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

hear you about the .357 in revolvers. I have them but I never shoot anything more than .38 Special +P 158 gr. LSWCHP in them because almost all the hearing loss I have can be attributed to 2 unmuffed shots from a 4" .357 Mag. That lack of earsplitting crack is what really endeared me to the .45 Colt and .44 Special.
Sincerely,

Hobie

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote: hear you about the .357 in revolvers. I have them but I never shoot anything more than .38 Special +P 158 gr. LSWCHP in them because almost all the hearing loss I have can be attributed to 2 unmuffed shots from a 4" .357 Mag. That lack of earsplitting crack is what really endeared me to the .45 Colt and .44 Special.
Agreed. I know the .357 125 gr JHP is "the gold standard", but there is probably just not enough data to 'prove' the .44 Special or .45 Colt is adequate. I realize that the hope and prayer for CCW-guns is that you never have to use them, but if I ever needed to, I doubt I'll have on hearing protectors at the time...! I suppose there is good data on the .45 ACP, at least with good bullet types, but even if there isn't, it is one I'm willing to count on as well.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Plinking gun extraordinaire - pure and simple.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Hobie wrote: hear you about the .357 in revolvers. I have them but I never shoot anything more than .38 Special +P 158 gr. LSWCHP in them because almost all the hearing loss I have can be attributed to 2 unmuffed shots from a 4" .357 Mag. That lack of earsplitting crack is what really endeared me to the .45 Colt and .44 Special.
Agreed. I know the .357 125 gr JHP is "the gold standard", but there is probably just not enough data to 'prove' the .44 Special or .45 Colt is adequate. I realize that the hope and prayer for CCW-guns is that you never have to use them, but if I ever needed to, I doubt I'll have on hearing protectors at the time...! I suppose there is good data on the .45 ACP, at least with good bullet types, but even if there isn't, it is one I'm willing to count on as well.
I went one step further. Just about the only thing I shoot from my SP101 any more is 180gr LFNHP or Factory Federal 180gr SJHP. I like the recoil profile better and it's not nearly as loud to shoot.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
junkwrencher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by junkwrencher »

I own three, I deer and varmint hunt with them all. I own an old Winchester 94 in the dirty-thirty caliber, but the little '92 clones are very easy to carry and ammo is easier to carry and less expensive in my area. I keep the 94 incase I every go west of the Mississippi. If we look at history however, everything in North America was harvested with .357 in a handgun shortly after it's introduction.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Two more questions: is the .357 still as loud out of a rifle, and has anyone used them on hogs?
Mark Dickinson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

azmark wrote:Two more questions: is the .357 still as loud out of a rifle, and has anyone used them on hogs?
Not nearly as loud from a rifle to me, maybe just because the muzzle is that much farther away, and no cylinder gap, and probably less powder/gas blast coming out the longer barrel.

Dunno as far as hogs - never got to try it... :(

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

azmark wrote:Two more questions: is the .357 still as loud out of a rifle, and has anyone used them on hogs?
Not nearly as loud. Quite comfortable to shoot really.

The .357 loaded up solidly is a hog killing machine.

http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Doesn't seem as loud from the carbine as from the GP-100 (IMO) and I've shot several hogs in the 100-150lb size range inside 100yds using the AE 158gr JSPs. None ran. I admit to shooting a couple of them twice, adding the second shot while they were on the ground twitching "just to make sure."

I've taken several white-tailed deer, maybe 100-120lbs, inside 100yds. They ran a little, the way deer will, but they were all recovered.

I've shot one black bear about 300lbs, near point blank and between the eyes, one shot. That happened kinda sudden like. He didn't run.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Hobie, I'm in the dark about this west of the Mississippi deal. I have 2 .357 levers, a Marlin 1894 and a Rossi. I even have a Winchester 94 in .44mag but no rifles in .45Colt. I do have one revolver in .45Colt, a Seville from Sporting Arms Inc. Tucson, Az. Should I sell my .357's or am I okay? :lol: God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I own a couple rifles in 357 magnum but only one is a levergun my 2003 vintage 94AE Ranger Compact (economy Trapper). I have not hunted with this rifle, shot exclusively at the range since moving away from Maui. My other 357 rifle is a stainless steel single shot Rossi R357S which I trimmed the barrel down to 16.25" so super lightweight (3 lbs.) and handy. I've shot numerous Maui Wild goats, and a Texas Blackbuck all using standard 158 grain JSP loads. I was really surprised how tough the Blackbuck was taking 3 rounds in heart/lung before dropping though it was technically dead after the first round. :shock:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i use mine for everything that im not using my 44-40's for. i have a rossi 16 357 in truck at all times and carri a smith mod 19 to match.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Today I was using it to poke at 200yd & 300yd, 12" gongs (rested).

So it needed about 18" holdover on the 300... but I hit it 10 for 11... (11 for 11 at 200 with no appreciable holdover...) :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've got 3 at the moment (although it's likely to drop to two pretty soon) and haven't used 'em for anything other than CAS and messing around at the range.
Should maybe change that, but other guns seem to hog up the opportunities...guess I should just make more opportunities so the .357s get their chance, too.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life