Marlin Production Date Codes + Model Production Numbers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin Production Date Codes + Model Production Numbers

Post by Pete44ru »

jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin Production Date Codes + Model Production Numbers

Post by jfwlb »

I have a question regarding this table.

I bought an old Marlin lever-action in 30-30 a few years ago and it doesn't seem to match that table. It is labeled "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver, and "Model 93" on the upper tang.
The barrel, along with the address line, has "Special Smokeless Steel" on it. According to the table above, the model 93 stopped production in 1934. Under the lever is stamped the serial number, which is four digits and the letter"C". According to the table, that makes it manufactured in 1945. Any idea which date is correct?

And for those interested, it appears to be in pretty good condition, although it will not fire. I believe that the firing pin is broken because it has no problems feeding and ejecting, just no "Boom" when I pull the trigger, and no marks on the primer. It has a 20" round barrel and a half-magazine. I really like the "vintage" way it looks, but would like it much better if I could get it to make some noise.

And yes, I know that pictures are pretty much required:(even if they are lousy and too dark)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The mdl 93 or 1893 ceased production prior to 1936 when it was replaced with the model 36. Pete or maybe Marlinman93 will give more exact information, but that's what I understand.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks, Griff, that's what I thought too. That's also why the serial number on my Mdl 93 doesn't make any sense to me.

Question: does the date code come before or after the number sequence? Is it like this: C1234, or like this: 1234C? Mine is the latter.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They changed the seriel number position in the early 20's to under the lever and to my knowledge they all had "C" or some other letter in front . Your rifle appears to be a Model 93 Sporting Carbine which was only made in 30-30 or 32 HPS .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks 6pt,
And just to clarify, my serial number is under the lever and looks like this: 47XXC, with the "XX" being the last two numbers.

Also, it is in .30-.30

Any ideas why it won't fire? I understand that these Marlins have a two-piece firing pin. I have looked at the bolt when I extend the lever and it appears the there is part of the firing pin hanging down below the bottom of the bolt. Is this normal?

Thanks,
John
Last edited by jfwlb on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Model 1893 was followed by the Model 93 that was followed by the Model 1936 that was followed by the Model 36 that was also followed by the Model 336 .

I've had several model 1893's , one Model 1893 in the same configuration as the one pictured for a couple weeks , one Model 1936 , one Model 36 and a whole pile of 336's from the early 50's up to 2005 or so .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The same time the seriel number moved was the same time if I'm not mistaken that Rockwell or someone bought the company out of recievership I believe .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Most folks that collect Marlin's to any extent will tell you the production records from 1906 to the early 30's were lost , burned or something of that sort .

Marlin Model 93 "Sporting Carbines" were made in the time frame from 1922-1935 . I do not believe they were made in all those years but thats the years of production for the Model 93 . Also you rifle should have the Marlin Bullseye in the toe area of the stock .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

After looking at your pics closer it looks to me as if the place the rear swivel is woulda been about the place for the Bullseye . Perhaps they drilled thru it or removed it for the swivel .
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for all your info 6pt.

And no, I don't have the "bullseye" in the stock. The prior owner long before I acquired it removed the bullseye and replaced it with a sling swivel.

I also have a couple of older Marlins that I need to get working again. One is a Marlin 1892, and the other does not have any model designation. Both have the take-down knob on the right side of the receiver which I associate with the Mdl 39, but I believe that they are chambered in .32 rimfire.

John
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jfwlb wrote:I also have a couple of older Marlins that I need to get working again. One is a Marlin 1892, and the other does not have any model designation. Both have the take-down knob on the right side of the receiver which I associate with the Mdl 39, but I believe that they are chambered in .32 rimfire.

John
The one thats a Model 1892 in 32 cal with the "take down knob" as you call it isn't a take down knob . It's how you take the sideplate off to change the firing pin to go from rimfire to centerfire or vice versa . I had a pair of 32's in a Model 1892 and a later Model 92 with firing pins for both rim and centerfire . They also made the 32 cal in the Model 1891 which obviousely came out before the model 1892 , however they did seem to make them in several overlapping years .

The little Model 92 32 cal Marlin I had was THE FIRST pre 1920 Marlin I ever owned . That thing was a hoot to shoot once I finally coralled dies , 32 Long Colt brass and a Lyman 90 grain heel mold to cast bullets for the thing . You see completed rounds for the 32 Long Colt or 32 Short Colt look just like 22 rimfire ammo but of course a tad larger meaning the bullet sits in the case the same way .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I might add not to long after I got the model 1892 32 cal shooting I took it up to John Kort's Lever Action Jubilee back about October of 2004 !

And while we were there it was John I believe that took the little rifle with the certainly subsonic loads and hit the chickens at 200 meters !
Nope it didn't knock them over but you still heard a very satisfying tink everytime you hit one !

Think i took 100 rounds for that thing and we shot them all up before I returned home later that night !
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for the link Prise.

Thanks 6pt for the additional info on my 92. Any idea where I might find a centerfire firing pin for my .32 rimfires? Also, how can I tell which firing pin is currently in my Marlins?

John
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thanks, Pete. I didn't have all that.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellows, I am not interested in old rifles - so if I ever get any I will refer them to you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jfwlb wrote:Thanks for the link Prise.

Thanks 6pt for the additional info on my 92. Any idea where I might find a centerfire firing pin for my .32 rimfires? Also, how can I tell which firing pin is currently in my Marlins?

John
Firing pin from this outfit http://wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/rflever.htm

32 Short Colt ammo and you can send your brass back in to be loaded. It takes a heeled bullet. http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:
jfwlb wrote:Thanks for the link Prise.

John
Firing pin from this outfit http://wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/rflever.htm

32 Short Colt ammo and you can send your brass back in to be loaded. It takes a heeled bullet. http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete

I got a couple firing pins from Wisners for the 1892's I had . But be aware you'll need to fit them to the bolt in the gun .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jfwlb wrote:I have a question regarding this table.
I bought an old Marlin lever-action in 30-30 a few years ago and it doesn't seem to match that table.
It is labeled "Marlin Safety" on the top of the receiver, and "Model 93" on the upper tang.
The barrel, along with the address line, has "Special Smokeless Steel" on it.
According to the table above, the model 93 stopped production in 1934.
Under the lever is stamped the serial number, which is four digits and the letter"C".
According to the table, that makes it manufactured in 1945.
Any idea which date is correct?
You're applying the table backwards, letting the SN letter prefix overrule the production years of a particular model.

If the model being dated wasn't made during the listed years of the letter prefixes, then other indicators rule - like looking at the "years produced" for said model, combined with the "total production", which would allow a qualified exterpolation of the DOM based upon so many units produced per year (on average) - in the absence of factory records to the contrary.

jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks jdad for the links, I bookmarked them both.

6pt, thanks also for the info about fitting. I am definitely not any kind of a gunsmith. Any idea how much work it would take?

Pete, thanks a lot for that info! The table above shows the years of production, any idea how to find out how many were produced? I have (what I think anyway) is a low serial number, under 5000. Who would I talk to in order to help me find the dom? It is my understanding that Marlin doesn't have the same type of "lettering" that Winchester and other gun manufacturers do.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

jfwlb wrote:I have (what I think anyway) is a low serial number, under 5000. Who would I talk to in order to help me find the dom? It is my understanding that Marlin doesn't have the same type of "lettering" that Winchester and other gun manufacturers do.
Check with the folks at http://marlin-collectors.com
Marlin production between the First World War and the mid-30's is a puzzle. They used prefixes and suffixes on the serial numbers. Early on, many guns were made up with parts scavenged out of corners, store rooms and old racks. Some had bulls eyes. Some didn't. Barrel roll stamps varied. The "star" mark apears on some. A fellow at the above site named Parley Baer has a pretty good handle on 93 production...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jfwlb wrote:6pt, thanks also for the info about fitting. I am definitely not any kind of a gunsmith. Any idea how much work it would take?
All you need is a flat file or two . And just take your time .

I think the last one I fit took me 30 minutes .
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

6pt-sika wrote:
jfwlb wrote:6pt, thanks also for the info about fitting. I am definitely not any kind of a gunsmith. Any idea how much work it would take?

Take it slow. You want it to crush the case rim, not peen the chamber face. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Take it slow. You want it to crush the case rim, not peen the chamber face. :wink:
I never bothered with rimfire pins !
Just the ones for centerfire , matter of fact I'm pretty sure I never fired any rimfire ammunition in either of the 32's I had :wink:
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks airdaleman, I will try out the forum you suggested.

6pt, thanks for the additional info on the fitting. When you say it just takes a flat file, do you mean to trim the length? I actually may be able to do that.

jdad, yes I was talking about the centerfire pins. Although I have not taken them apart yet, I have been told that they both have the rimfire firing pin in them. I would like to replace them with centerfire pins to be able to enjoy shooting them.

Thanks for all the info guys, it helps a lot! if you think of anything else, feel free to chime in.

John