Too refinish or not refinish ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Too refinish or not refinish ?

Post by Pitchy »

I bought my Browning made 86 new in 86 but i`ve never cared for the finish on the wood.
Been thinking about stripping it down and putting some Casey gun stock oil on it or something like that.
But the prices have gone up quite a bit on these guns so not sure i should, thoughts?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Too refinish or not refinish ?

Post by AJMD429 »

If you really think you'll ever sell it expecting a profit, then it isn't a 'gun', it's an 'investment', and you should carefully pack it up in the original box, lightly oiled inside a plastic bag, with a dessicant in the outer packaging, and tuck it in the back of the safe. And for goodness sake, don't shoot it...!

On the other hand, if you plan on enjoying it as a fine piece of practical and beautiful machinery and craftsmanship, do whatever YOU want to it to make it more useful or more to your liking. Re-finish it, change the sights, take it to the range, take it hunting, and enjoy it.

Life is too short to fill your safe up with 'safe queens'. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote:

Life is too short to fill your safe up with 'safe queens'. :wink:
+ 1.... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Like they said....the answer to your question depends on why you bought it in the first place. As investments go... You would have been MUCH better off if you bought Gold in 86.
If you want to try something simple on that finish....buff it lightly with some 4/0 stel wool. I've done that on a couple of Remington 700's that came with their Hi-Gloss polyurethane finish and REALLY like the soft satin-finish result. LIGHTLY buffing will knock off the GLOSS...but not take you all the way to wood. As a result, you retain protection. Just a thought....
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Pitchy wrote:I bought my Browning made 86 new in 86 but i`ve never cared for the finish on the wood.
Been thinking about stripping it down and putting some Casey gun stock oil on it or something like that.
But the prices have gone up quite a bit on these guns so not sure i should, thoughts?
It's either your gun or it's not.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am with AJ on this. But I have a BLR I would like to do that with .... and haven't. You know Pitchy, you were nice enough to send me that Barlow (it sits on my desk at the office) for my collection. Wow, tell you what, send that on out here and I will carefully use it and see if it is still a concern. :D

I do think they are one of the finest guns ever made. A friend had on he shot a big wild hog with. We loaded up a bunch of stompin' loads for it but they stomped his shoulder too much.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`like guido4198`s idea, may try that first, 8) thanks.
Your welcome about the knife OS but i`m afraid the gun isn`t gona make it, your welcome to come here and shoot it anytime though.
Thanks everyone for the advice, how about buying new wood for it and keeping the old wood as is?
Any suppliers that are reasonable.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I just refinished the stock on an older Browning 86. Started with a paint scraper to get down to the wood then a couple of sandings with grits getting finer. Didn't bother to raise the knap since it had already been finished before. Used Jacobean (color) oil stain (very dark). Only let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it down. When dry, the next day, I put a coat of Truoil on with my fingers. The next day 000 steel wool down to the wood and then another coat of Truoil. The next day 0000 steel wool and another coat. Only used 4 coats and it came out real good. I should have a picture here huh?

Fixing to head out to the urologist for my 6 week check-up from my TURP so no time right now. Will try the picture when I get back this afternoon. Oh, it's 60 miles one way so will take a while.

Pitchy, just remember that the wood the Japs used on the Browning is not as dark as our walnut so you will end up with a lighter color. I kinda like the idea of a replacement set of wood. My original Winchester has new wood but the semi-inletted blanks cost $350.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks bro, looking forward to pics, and good travels.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Id refinish it....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

guido4198 wrote:Like they said....the answer to your question depends on why you bought it in the first place. As investments go... You would have been MUCH better off if you bought Gold in 86.
If you want to try something simple on that finish....buff it lightly with some 4/0 stel wool. I've done that on a couple of Remington 700's that came with their Hi-Gloss polyurethane finish and REALLY like the soft satin-finish result. LIGHTLY buffing will knock off the GLOSS...but not take you all the way to wood. As a result, you retain protection. Just a thought....
I did this with my BL22 and it turned out really nice :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t think i have any steel wool and it`s hotter than Haddies out already so i`m stayin home. :roll:

Wish they were all originals, need a 95.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Found a small piece of steel wool, went over it and took a little shine off it and it looks better.
Your right about the wood being light i can see where one would have to stain it.
Maybe have to get Walkswithgun to refinish it for me he`s good at it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now you have gone and done it! :o Might as well carefully tape it off and get it to the level of non shine that you like. I have seen a couple done that way and they looked good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I always personalize my guns. I would refinish that rifle if it appealed to me. I've owned some Brownings and the stocks can look a little too plasticy sometimes. Eventually all my rifles get a stock finish of good oil. Some guy once "corrected me" for refinishing my early 10-22 with the walnut stocks they once came stock with.

However I don't buy expensive guns, except that take down Miroku Deluxe 32-20, and figure I will pass my rifles on to another hunter rather than a collector. I'm doing a D&T to mount a Lyman receiver sight to my new Miroku 92 this month as an example. My 444S from the early 70's is well used but factory original yet it is getting a refresh this year. I got a real nice original Lee Enfield No.5 last year in almost new condition working gun priced because some guy did a D&T for a scope mount.

I figure if guys like me don't personalize lever actions nobody will be able to buy their kid a decent Winchester 94 as a first rifle anymore.

Please note I'm not suggesting anyone take a hacksaw to a 100 year old gun or something of historic value. It is just that I have my own category of rifle for my safe, working guns.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I agree, my next help i need is getting the forearm and mag tube off, tried it once before and it wouldn`t budge.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote:... need a 95.
... a 1866 & an 1860 Henry! :twisted: :twisted: :P 8) :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote:
Pitchy wrote:... need a 95.
... a 1866 & an 1860 Henry! :twisted: :twisted: :P 8) :lol:
And a 73, shame is i had all of them at one time or another :roll:
After looking at the 86 after i hit it with some steel wool i think i`ll leave it as is.
Thanks for that suggestion and all the other ideas. :D
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

If you don't mind would post pics of the steel wooled 86?

I too am considering a refinish on my new made 86. Its no longer and investment in terms of a safe queen, its an investment in life.

yes, I know I need to post pics but its tough to do with an iPad. :lol:
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hey Pitchy got that box ( 5 boxes) of bullets today, thats very nice thankyou! your right some of them are getting old

Like 5 bucks a box for 180gr. speers in 30 cal. Ive been loading for 35 years cant remember them that price, but then maybe i forgot :?: anyway the 30 cal. will work good in the 88 Win & the 375 in the 94 Win

thanks Pitchy

ollogger
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Your a crafty guy that can do about anything.
Knowing you Pitchy,I bet if you did refinish that gun it would look sharp.That would make you feel good every time you handled it.
I say------work your magic on it-----------------cause you like doing real cool stuff!
Screw the resale!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rat patrol wrote:If you don't mind would post pics of the steel wooled 86?

I too am considering a refinish on my new made 86. Its no longer and investment in terms of a safe queen, its an investment in life.

yes, I know I need to post pics but its tough to do with an iPad. :lol:
Your welcome ollogger, hope ya can use em. :)

Had some storms move in yesterday so couldn`t get a pic till now.
Not a lot of difference, kind of a satin look.
After getting it outside in the light i like it more so will prob. leave it this way for a while.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pitchy, that looks relly good, great job :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great job....much better for hunting!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

Pitchy, Thanks for posting the photos. I may just haveto follow suit :D
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Looks great now and is still sealed against moisture, I'd probably leave it the way it is now.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks great

ollogger
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pitchy, here is the stock I recently refinished. You can see it's on the sawed off Browning 86 I got from joepb here. Really like this handy little gun. The crescent butt plate was gone when I got it so I left the recoil pad on. Really accurate.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I might just ruin my Henry in my avitar by sanding off that shiny finish and doing the same as you. I don't even care about the value. Just what I want to hold in my hands and it ain't high gloss.
Do what you want.

Owen
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

MR. Wright that turned out real nice, you did a nice job on it i like it 8) 8)
Thanks for posting the pics. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

hightime wrote:I might just ruin my Henry in my avitar by sanding off that shiny finish and doing the same as you. I don't even care about the value. Just what I want to hold in my hands and it ain't high gloss.
Do what you want.

Owen
I don't have an excuse not to mess with my 86 SRC. Bought used, it has some mystery "stain" or blemish on the buttstock - like a huge birthmark. Almost like an accidental caustic spill at some point or extreme heat. But it's smooth with a very even edge and the stock's not structurally affected., though It's not superfical-- it's permanently into the poly finish. So...at least wool'ing the rest should be a no brainer--steel wool is your friend :) though a complete strip and refinish to correct original Win spec makes more sense yet given the big blemish. It's become part of the gun's character though! I'll have to think a bit longer on my 92s--they're fairly close to LNIB and maybe tougher to think of messing with...but like the one gent said, screw the resale. I've even thought of having NKJ install proper saddle rings as 90%+ originally came with (Now that'll really get the value/resale--not to mention anti-ring--folks come out of the woodwork!) But hey, as they say, you can't take 'em with you--as you say, Owen, make it how you want. Life's too short for safe queens!

+1 to the high gloss comment. I remember when, after decades of the ultra hi gloss'd and Monte Carlo'd BDL, Remington came out with the satin finish and straight stock'd CDL as the new flag bearer. I remember thinking "proper hunting rifle now!" Just prior to that, I'd handled a gorgeous scarce new "Euro Ed." (or some such) properly "old school" oil finished and straight stocked 700 at a LGS and wondered "why can't all top-line Rems be like this?". The CDL still isn't quite as nice as that oiled "Euro" spec was, but a darn sight closer to the right suff. The gloss (and Monte Carlo) of the BDL is partly what kept me in Wins for years (still a Win 70 fan regardless, but I also like a "properly" finished and staaight stocked 700.