5 stand

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

5 stand

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Took the family with me on a business trip this week. Decided to make a mini-vacation of it and left on Saturday. We had a great time and I really enjoyed Father's Day being out with the kids and wife. Sorry I haven't been around the past week!

The trip ended with an evening at a gun club. One of my peers invited me and Y2K to shoot 5 stand at the gun club his father belongs to. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I had never shot 5 stand before. My father wasn't much of a shotgunner, so I didn't have a lot of exposure to those sports. Y2K has probably only fired 100 shotgun rounds in his life - 90 20-gauge shells and 10 12-gauge shells.

Well, we both loved it and did really well. First time I've ever fired a over/under too, and now I want one. First for Y2K as well. There were four shotguns in total, for four shooters, and we rotated through them all. 3 were 12 gauge; 1 20 gauge. Y2K started with the O/U 20, and did great. He then went to the Remington 1100 in 12 gauge. He didn't think the recoil was any worse. Then he moved onto the two 12 gauge O/U, and didn't miss a beat. We all shot about 125 shells.

I'm hooked and so is Y2K. What a hoot! We're going to have to find a place around here to do this!!! :D :D :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 5 stand

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like an exceptional and educational time.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Now you're trapped :wink: ...........
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:First time I've ever fired a over/under too, and now I want one.
You could replace "over/under" with lots of other types of guns, and the trap would be the same... :lol:

I've gotten caught in that trap myself many times..!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, glad ya had fun. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They say "ignorance is bliss", but they also say "knowledge is power"; so just what is "5-stand"? In a 1,000 words or less... typewritten and double-spaced! :P :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:They say "ignorance is bliss", but they also say "knowledge is power"; so just what is "5-stand"? In a 1,000 words or less... typewritten and double-spaced! :P :P :twisted:
Google it :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Kid
The shotgun sports are a whole lot of fun....
Now that your HOOKED :D you need to try the rest of the games,
skeet, trap and sporting clays.....its tons of fun....and with the right
bunch of guys, its the best way to spend a day...My favorite game is skeet...
but I love shooting 5 stand too!
When you guys decide to buy a shotgun.... or 2 or 3...or more :lol: :lol:
and it will come to that...make sure they fit to you...
You will be suprised how well a good fitting gun will improve your shooting...
What kind of over and unders did you guys shoot?
I am partial to Berettas and Remingtons
Love the remingtion wingmaster 870s...11-87s and 1100s too
My Berettas are the 686 sporting onyx o/u and my Dads 40yr old AL2
Nearly shot a perfect score with old girl the other day...
if it "werent the sun in my eyes" :lol: :lol:
And since your in the south...ya need to go on a dove hunt!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Got MEC?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:
Griff wrote:They say "ignorance is bliss", but they also say "knowledge is power"; so just what is "5-stand"? In a 1,000 words or less... typewritten and double-spaced! :P :P :twisted:
Wikipedia's description is rather terse. Surely YK or Y2K could do better?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
A really "good" Sporting course will have all their traps hooked up to a PC system so everyone gets all the same targets but maybe not in the same spot . Most of the ones I've visited however have a set pattern for what each person gets at each of the stations .

I shot the course at "The Homestead" in Hotsprings VA back in the early 1990's and their's was computerized . Just about everywhere else I've shot has been a pattern and everyone shot in the same order or targets however you wanna look at it . The computerized ones are a good deal more difficult . But none of them are what I would call easy !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Here's my short description, which probably isn't 100% accurate, or does it justice, but this is what we did.

There is a covered shooting area, with several positions for shooters. Five of them are marked with the position #, and the numbers of the bunkers where the clay pigeons will be coming from. There were six bunkers. Bunker # 1 was at the far left, and threw the bird across to the right. Bunker # 2 was at the far right, and threw the bird across to the left. I suppose these could also be used for traditional skeet the way they were set up.

Bunker # 3 was right in the middle, about 10 yards out, and threw it's bird straight up. Bunker # 4 was in the middle, maybe 30 yards+ back, and threw the clay pigeon straight at the shooter. Bunker # 5 was behind and above the shooter's line, and threw the pigeon over and away from the shooters. Bunker # 6 was roughly in the middle, middle-right, a bit behind bunker # 3, and threw a rabbit clay rolling across the ground to the left.

Based on where you were, you had five shots before moving. First shot was a single at each stand, and then the next two were pairs. The pairs and single changed with each position. The shooter fired at the pigeon or pigeons, and then the next shooter to the left, circling back to the original shooter. After the 5 shots at one stand, all shooters moved, with actions open, to the next stand. Thus, 5 shots at 5 stands = 1 standard box of shells.

SO MUCH FUN!!! :D :D :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Kid
The shotgun sports are a whole lot of fun....
Now that your HOOKED :D you need to try the rest of the games,
skeet, trap and sporting clays.....its tons of fun....and with the right
bunch of guys, its the best way to spend a day...My favorite game is skeet...
but I love shooting 5 stand too!
When you guys decide to buy a shotgun.... or 2 or 3...or more :lol: :lol:
and it will come to that...make sure they fit to you...
You will be suprised how well a good fitting gun will improve your shooting...
What kind of over and unders did you guys shoot?
I am partial to Berettas and Remingtons
Love the remingtion wingmaster 870s...11-87s and 1100s too
My Berettas are the 686 sporting onyx o/u and my Dads 40yr old AL2
Nearly shot a perfect score with old girl the other day...
if it "werent the sun in my eyes" :lol: :lol:
And since your in the south...ya need to go on a dove hunt!
I shot a little trap in college (it was cheap - one round, 25 shells, plus targets, using the school's Remington 1100's, for $5 - and I didn't have to clean the gun! :D ). I've shot a few rounds of skeet too. Now I want to try sporting clays!!! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you YK. I can visualize iit now. I'll have to try it. Maybe with my Uplander and BP shotshells! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

THAT really sounds fun!!!...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The ammo mfgs must love 5 stand. Since you get two shots at the single on each station it almost guarantees you'll at least open another box of shells. It really goes fast if you don't have a full squad shooting, hot barrels are the rule of the day.

The coolest 5 stand set up I've seen is at River Hills near Boonville Mo. You shoot from a deck overlooking a ravine, they use 6-7 throwers. Some of the birds come from below and go high, some stay below your feet, and one comes from overhead and behind the center of the deck. They do a nice job of periodically changing the presentations so it's never what you saw the last time.

They also have Sporting Clays, usually around 14 fields, always changing, trap, skeet and usually some sort of novelty game like Flurry. 4-5 times a year they have a Shoot 'N Eat day, you pay $50 and get a meal and all the clay birds you can shoot between 1000 and 1700. If your shoulder isn't sore at the end of the day you just weren't trying.

If you are a clay bird shooter passing through the area you owe yourself a stop here. Located between Boonville and the Mo. River bridge off I-70.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Larkbill wrote:The ammo mfgs must love 5 stand. Since you get two shots at the single on each station it almost guarantees you'll at least open another box of shells.
That's why I estimated 125 shells. We each had a round with each shotgun. 4 shotguns x 25 shells (1 box) = 100 shells, but I know all of us took a second shot at the first single if we missed. Further, the one experienced guy started dusting the pigeons if one of us missed one in the pairs. So Y2K and I did this to one another - frequently - trading back and forth. My friend thought it was a hoot.

At the very end, we had 2 shells left (12 gauge). They were handed to Y2K, who was shooting the Browning Citori O/U at the time. My friend asked him what bunkers he wanted, and he just said "surprise me".

Y2K dusted them both. Cocky little turd! :lol: :lol: :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, you should know better than to spend time with enablers.... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Larkbill wrote:The ammo mfgs must love 5 stand. Since you get two shots at the single on each station it almost guarantees you'll at least open another box of shells. It really goes fast if you don't have a full squad shooting, hot barrels are the rule of the day.

The coolest 5 stand set up I've seen is at River Hills near Boonville Mo. You shoot from a deck overlooking a ravine, they use 6-7 throwers. Some of the birds come from below and go high, some stay below your feet, and one comes from overhead and behind the center of the deck. They do a nice job of periodically changing the presentations so it's never what you saw the last time.

They also have Sporting Clays, usually around 14 fields, always changing, trap, skeet and usually some sort of novelty game like Flurry. 4-5 times a year they have a Shoot 'N Eat day, you pay $50 and get a meal and all the clay birds you can shoot between 1000 and 1700. If your shoulder isn't sore at the end of the day you just weren't trying.

If you are a clay bird shooter passing through the area you owe yourself a stop here. Located between Boonville and the Mo. River bridge off I-70.

I have also shot the River Hills set up and enjoyed it greatly. The one at Midway Farms is also excellent, but may be only open for scheduled events (not sure).
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I think you're right about Midway, not sure, but heard they've had noise issues with neighbors. That drive's me crazy. When people build near places that make noise, then complain it's hard to be sympathetic.

Post by InTheWoods »

Larkbill wrote:I think you're right about Midway, not sure, but heard they've had noise issues with neighbors. That drive's me crazy. When people build near places that make noise, then complain it's hard to be sympathetic.
Not sure they were ever really open all the time as a commercial range. I know the one at the Millersburg exit, Prairie Grove, had a terrible time with a new neighbor that took them to court. I think a judge ruled in the complainers favor, causing Prairie Grove to curtain their hours quite a bit. BTW, that neighbor has sinced moved away. I believe it was Prairie Grove's challenges that was the basis for the new law that passed (year before last, I think) grandfathering in all ranges at that date and making them immune to noise lawsuits.