Got an old film SLR camera and lenses?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Got an old film SLR camera and lenses?

Post by olyinaz »

Well, with one of these you can bolt them lenses to a modern, new fangled thingy and shoot away for pennys! On clearance for $169:

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E-PL1 ... -66326.cfm

That is a SMOKING deal guys. All you need is an adapter for your lenses (I have them for Nikon, Canon FD, Rokinon, Leica, and Kodak SLR lenses) for a few bucks, you bolt 'em on, and start shooting.

I know that there are a lot of old 35mm film cameras languishing in closets these days and that's understandable, but those old lenses can take some fine pictures!

Unfortunately I just discovered that this camera (below) and several others were stolen from my house by some workmen this past year (too late to do anything about it but cuss and file a claim). You can see a 1950's vintage Schneider-Kreuznach lens bolted to the camera using an adapter (black item at the back of the lens). What's painful is that the $169 camera I listed above will actually take better pictures than the Leica in this picture was capable of! Technology is a harsh mistress. :D

But even on my old girl that ancient lens could take some lovely photos:

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/98105541/original

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/98105811/original

http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/93523326/original

I don't recommend the camera above for novices or anyone who doesn't like to fiddle with gadgets, but if you do, you can't go wrong at that price. The sensor used in it is still the same sensor that Olympus puts in their top of the line models this year.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Got an old film SLR camera and lenses?

Post by Old Savage »

OK, I have an OM 2N and the lenses to go with it from 30 years ago.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have an OM 10 from over 30 years ago and a pack of lenses. R U saying I can use those on modern cameras. I bought an Olympus digital SLR a couple years ago and the Lenses fit but of course no electronics so no go.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I looked for lens adapters and didn't see them. I have some Topcon lenses that have good glass. I'd like to try that olympus body if I could get my lenses to fit. Do you have a link to a particular page for finding the adapters?

Thanks

Grizz
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

pwl44m wrote:I have an OM 10 from over 30 years ago and a pack of lenses. R U saying I can use those on modern cameras. I bought an Olympus digital SLR a couple years ago and the Lenses fit but of course no electronics so no go. Perry
No go how? All you need to do is be able to set the aperture and focus the lens manually...just like you used to do! Yes, the aperture stays stopped down, but with live view on the screen it doesn't matter - you can still see what you're doing. Most people like to use their old lenses for two reasons - wide open or thereabouts for shallow depth of field and that great "look" that SLR lenses give you for portraiture or still life shots, or stopped down and used for something like macro photography (old macro lenses can be very sought after) or landscapes if it is a particularly sharp lens or something exotic like a tilt/shift lens. For everything else use a new automatic lens - they're cheap and work great for point and shoot photography. If all you ever did was use your old SLR on "Auto" then you were driving a Ferrari 55mph and this is not the camera for you.

The best thing about these new cameras is that focusing is easy using the screen because you can zoom in and very precisely focus on a single point in the frame, zoomed in and enlarged, once you select an aperture and shutter speed that will work for the shot your looking at. For example, when I was doing my Sun shot today I used Venus and the sun spots to focus on. I zoomed in on them so that they filled the whole screen and very precisely focused on them. Etc. etc. - you get the idea.

Adapters. Easy to find, more or less expensive depending on quality (aluminum vs. steel etc.). These are all for the camera I posted a link to above:

OM lenses: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Thirds-Ad ... 074&sr=8-3

Pentax K mount: http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-K- ... 074&sr=8-6

Nikon mount: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-adapter- ... 74&sr=8-11

Canon FD lenses: http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Ad ... 74&sr=8-13

M42 (old screw mount) lenses: http://www.amazon.com/RAINBOWIMAGING-Ad ... d_sim_p_19

Minolta MD, MC, Rokkor Lens: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter- ... =pd_cp_p_2

For example, here you see a Minolta Rokkor-X MC mount lens on my Olympus digital SLR camera using one of these adapters:

That lens at f/1.2 is FAST!! I'd have to pay a thousand bucks to get something like that in a modern autofocus digital lens, but the old Rokkor is known to be an excellent lens and they used to be dirt cheap on eBay. Well, not any more now that these cameras are out and the adapters have become commonplace! But remember we started this conversation under the premise that some of you already have a nice stash of quality old glass. And by quality I mean those 50mm f/1.8 lenses that were ubiquitous back in the day. Man, those lenses will still take some GREAT pictures. I have an old Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm macro zoom lens in an OM mount that can still do some GREAT macro work.

And that camera I posted a link to is PERFECT for mounting to a spotting scope or telescope. Some expensive spotting scopes are every bit as good as top shelf long zoom camera lenes. You would use this adapter for something like that:

This goes on the camera: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter- ... 671&sr=8-1

And then you screw it onto this and stick in the back of your telescope: http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93625-U ... gy_p_img_b

And it looks like this (Orion 80ED telescope with Olympus E-300 mounted to it this way):

To get photos like this:

And this: http://www.pbase.com/olyinaz/image/92943332/original

Spotting scopes that have a removable eyepiece at the back use something similar (your local camera shop or telescope shop can set you up).

I just can't believe that price guys. When I came in on this a few years back you were lucky to find a digital SLR camera for less than $800. Now they've removed the view finder and it works just like any other digital camera (live view on the back screen) but they've kept the removable lens mount and, most importantly, the large photo sensor that takes much better pictures than a regular pocket digital camera.

A LOT of fun can be had with these. Just watch your pocket book...it's like guns... :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:OK, I have an OM 2N and the lenses to go with it from 30 years ago.
That is a cracking good camera! You had great taste. :D

So read my post above and get those lenses back in action Doc!

Also, as an old OM guy (like me), you need to see this. Beware, I am setting you up for financial peril: :lol:

http://olympusomd.com/en-US/

It has the same mount and uses the same lenses as that one I posted above, it's just a lot nicer and a lot more expensive!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My Canon Rebel 2000 35mm uses the same lenses as my Canon D60 Digital SLR.
Don't need any adapters. However I don't use the D60 any more because it weights a bloody ton and my small Canon Power Shot A520 does 99.5% of what I need in a camera.

Love that huge telescope with the camera on it. I could use one of them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

And I just got the Canon T3i to replace my XT.

I have been interested in this style of camera. My sister has either this one or the next one that came out a couple years ago. I wish they would just use a larger chip! I have the Canon 85mm 1.2 L and it needs a good camera to really shine.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It's very tempting but for what I use my cameras most these days, I'd never be able to focus using the rear screen. I know this from my regular little pocket digitals, most of the time I can't see the screen due to the sun.
Last edited by cas on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hmmm... kind of considering this to mount behind a view camera, with a sliding mount that would let me take panoramas. Take 2-3 shots and strip them back together.

People try to do this with tripods but patching together separate shots doesn't work too well because the corners of the lens field are darker than the center. But if it's one giant field, and this thing is recording a strip of it in the center, well, it may just work.

Failing that, I also have a Nikon 75mm enlarging lens that could go great with it. And I have a half-dozen Mamiya twin lenses. Take the back off my spare body and fit this to it, then use those great lenses.

Price went down to $149.95.

Takes movies too! I've been taking low-res movies of my frogs and this would give me HD.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Guess I can quit saving my pennies for this bad boy: Nikon D800?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Griff wrote:Guess I can quit saving my pennies for this bad boy: Nikon D800?
There's a point beyond where extra resolution would be pointless, but this Nikon's resolution sounds pretty amazing. I didn't know the digital cameras were up to 36 mp. I did know they are making high resolution sensors for view cameras but that they were over $10k.

Considering the price, the 12 mp of the Olympus sounds awfully good. It also uses SD cards which are cheap and abundant.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

When I went from my Canon A1 to my 30D, I found that the focal plane on a digital was different than on a film camera. So focusing would be a possible problem. But the biggest issue was that the older lenses wouldn't fit the newer body, and there was no adapter available. So, those are two possible problems with using old lenses on new cameras. Oh, and none of the auto features would work using the older lenses, different connections and such. Now I'm sure Canon could have made it so older lenses could be used, but then they wouldn't be able to sell us new ones.

Oh well, my niece was starting out as a pro photog so I gave the camera to her. She found some pretty good uses for it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Oly, took lots of pics with that OM2n - but you know some of the pics with phones are surprisingly sharp. Here is one I took today. This is a bit reduced I think coming through photobucket.

Scan from OM2n slide to print from 30 years ago. Don't get distracted here. :D

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I've still got my OMs and A1, but they just sit. I found that when sensor resolution hit about 12MP it was all over - digital just became too enticing. We still don't have the dynamic range with digital that film (or your eyes) have, but they're even tackling that through software and image stacking etc. It's amazing stuff.

Well, at rate, that camera above for $149 is a ridiculous bargain. If a person has some lenses or a scope to put it on I think they'd be hard pressed to not find a way to have some fun with it.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:I've still got my OMs and A1, but they just sit. I found that when sensor resolution hit about 12MP it was all over - digital just became too enticing. We still don't have the dynamic range with digital that film (or your eyes) have, but they're even tackling that through software and image stacking etc. It's amazing stuff.

Well, at rate, that camera above for $149 is a ridiculous bargain. If a person has some lenses or a scope to put it on I think they'd be hard pressed to not find a way to have some fun with it.

Best,
Oly
My biggest gripe is that I can't get the "mono" setting to give me what I could get with B&W film. Then of course, you could print it on various degrees of contrast paper and get images that literally popped. I've tried a few software solutions, but they just seem to miss the mark.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jeepnik wrote:
olyinaz wrote:I've still got my OMs and A1, but they just sit. I found that when sensor resolution hit about 12MP it was all over - digital just became too enticing. We still don't have the dynamic range with digital that film (or your eyes) have, but they're even tackling that through software and image stacking etc. It's amazing stuff.

Best,
Oly
My biggest gripe is that I can't get the "mono" setting to give me what I could get with B&W film. Then of course, you could print it on various degrees of contrast paper and get images that literally popped. I've tried a few software solutions, but they just seem to miss the mark.
Jeepnik, you might be referring to dynamic range as much as anything else, but in any case I always recommend shooting in color and converting to monochrome. Photoshop is excellent in for this but it's really expensive software. I don't know of any cheap software that does it well but there might be some.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

If you know someone with an older version of Photoshop ie PS3, PS4, or PS5 you can upgrade for usually about 200. The other way is get Elements10. It does most jobs just like PS, does work for most people. Gimp is free but only works on 8 bit files.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

Best,
Oly
Jeepnik, you might be referring to dynamic range as much as anything else, but in any case I always recommend shooting in color and converting to monochrome. Photoshop is excellent in for this but it's really expensive software. I don't know of any cheap software that does it well but there might be some.

Best,
Oly
I have photoshop. But still, the images just miss the mark. But I continue to work toward getting what I want.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was ready to pull the trigger on the PEN but had to find a lens adapter for my topcon exakta mount glass. The only place I see that has it online for a reasonable price is a place called rainbowimaging. I started to go thru the buy process and decided to check out the company. Something about the site didn't look right. Found some bad reviews that weren't just sour grapes and decided not to clost the deal. So I won't be getting the little olympus. Pity, I have some really nice lenses, just can't hook them up to the e-pl1.

Oh well, enough excitement for one day.

Grizz
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Grizz wrote:I was ready to pull the trigger on the PEN but had to find a lens adapter for my topcon exakta mount glass. The only place I see that has it online for a reasonable price is a place called rainbowimaging. I started to go thru the buy process and decided to check out the company. Something about the site didn't look right. Found some bad reviews that weren't just sour grapes and decided not to clost the deal. So I won't be getting the little olympus. Pity, I have some really nice lenses, just can't hook them up to the e-pl1.

Oh well, enough excitement for one day.

Grizz
I see it on Amazon and eBay as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXAKTA-Lens-to- ... 828wt_1002

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got an old film SLR camera and lenses? update

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Oly I missed that seller, gonna try again.

Ordered both. Now I have to figure out where I stored my film cameras.... I know they are around here somewhere. LOL

thanks for the info, this looks like a big image improvement.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The Olympus body arrived a few days ago, I read the manual but have yet to fiddle with it.

I have been taking a look on Ebay and there is a nice OM-10 package with two lenses.

Will those OM-10 lenses fit (physically) on that mount? I realize the effective focal length is doubled, as the sensor looks smaller than I thought it would be, about half the size of a 35mm. I have no problem with that or using the manual exposure. But will they fit without an adapter?

I can't seem to find my 75mm enlarging lens but I know it's here somewhere. I bought it on Ebay for less than $20.00, a Nikkor no less, and mint.

My intention is to use this for panoramas, but those OM-10 lenses are tempting to just use for regular shooting.

BTW, I see there is a panorama setting, you take overlapping images and the included software stitches them together.

Still, shooting separate shots with a single-frame focal length leaves some problems. Lenses have light fall-off at the corners and pincushion shape differences. Better to make a panorama box with a long focal length and then slide the camera from shot to shot, still taking separate photos but it is all from one big beautiful image.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Here's a good site to ask camera related questions. The link will take you to the Olympus Lens forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I have my dad's old Pentax MX and several lenses. I'm not sure the electronics on the old body (light meter and such) still work. Is there an adapter to make the Pentax lenses work on that Olympus digital body?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Shazzam!

Just last month I finally got rid of my Canon AE-1 (35mm film camera) and a full set of lenses, including wide angle, medium, telephoto - for next to nothing. And I had some other lenses from Olympus that were given to me - all sold for a few dollars. I could sure have used these on my Nikon D3100 on manual mode. Especially for capturing my daughter's marathon runs!

Great news, too late...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I bought that PEN too. I also bought a dirt cheap 14-42mm lens that makes dust cheap images. Some are really not too bad. That gives me full auto point and shoot.

I bought the exacta adapter for my Topcon lenses. I really like that glass. I use the F3.5 25mm indoors. It has the amazing ability of photographing corners without distortion. And it focuses to about 5". The F3.5 58mm lens is a macro and it focuses to true half-size, 0.5%. Since it's operating at an effective focal length of 116mm I'll call it the portrait lens. Amazing. And the F2.8 10cm lens works as a 200.

Mounted up to the PL1 they give the little digital back some heft. None of the auto stuff in the lenses works of course, but using the manual focus and aperture ring produces instant results in the camera, and the camera's light metering works as a default aperture priority, giving live shutter speed changes as you alter the aperture. Easy.

The focusing is greatly enhanced by the zoom feature which will give you a 7x view of the area you want in sharpest focus and hold it through the release. Very cool and very useful to these eyeballs.

I had a great laugh at my own expense looking for a way to turn off the "shutter sound feature". LOL LOL
The camera ACTUALLY HAS A REAL SHUTTER. Who ever would have thought that? AND it is LOUD. You definitely don't want to be using this thing at funerals or worship. Uh, same thing come to think of it.

The video is very good, but clips are limited to 2Gb. Much better video than the Z. It pays to use the dust-cheapo auto lens for video for auto focus, except when I am making a clip where I want narrow depth of field. Then the glass shines.

The bad and the ugly?

The brilliant engineers came up with their own proprietary RAW format they call .ORF. It is supposed to be compatible with Fotoshop but our version won't open them. You have to load their software on a Win box to view them, where you can convert to TIFF. Hopefully that will be the universal TIFF format.

THERE IS COLOR FRINGING IN THE Jpegs. I am probably classed as a pixel-snoop, but that's how I evaluate images. My panasonic FZ28 does not fringe color. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED to find the PEN doing it and will look at the RAW images when I get around to running windows again. This is not a lens issue, this is a jpeg computer processing issue.

Another thing about the camera is that the "superfine" jpeg compression is not available by default and you have to navigate the menu system to a spot where you can turn on the fine camera controls, then you can set for the highest resolution and lowest ISO, which they default to 200 but which I set at 100. You can also limit the auto ISO edges and I topped off mine to 1200. I think it can run to 3200 and I will eventually do some noise tests just for giggles when I locate the tripod.

All together I am glad to have this camera. It makes my lenses useful and gives me a much larger ccd to play on. But it will take some time to come up with a money shot that can beat the pana.

P.S.

My glass lenses use the bessler exacta mount and I am looking forward to relocating my enlarger when I get back to Alaska and checking to see if that lens will mount to my camera. Than could be fun.
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

20cows wrote:I have my dad's old Pentax MX and several lenses. I'm not sure the electronics on the old body (light meter and such) still work. Is there an adapter to make the Pentax lenses work on that Olympus digital body?
Any m4/3 lens will mount, but I don't know if the auto stuff for every lens will work. my dirt-cheapo lens is a panasonic and the auto stuff works on it. It depends on what mount the camera body uses. You can buy adapter rings but they are kind of a kluge.

Grizz
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

The wife brought home a large camera bag the other day. She was picking up some knick-knack she'd bought on Craigslist and when she went to meet the seller, the woman asked her if she'd like a camera. It's a like-new Honeywell-era Pentax Spotmatic with six lenses, all original manuals and filters. All for my favorite price, FREE. I'm going to use the original body, but I think that Oly SLR and a 42mm adaptor are definitely something I am going to try...