Lil' accident reloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Lil' accident reloading

Post by 86er »

My 450 NE is too big at the rim for my shell holders. I reload w an old fashioned carbide resizing sleeve that you set over the case and whack w a mallet until it is flush. To get the case out there is a tool that you insert and whack to knock the case free. This is much like the Lee Loader system. Well to prime I actually use the tool from the 45-70 Lee Loader. I loaded some 450 NF's and on case #5 the primer went off! Lucky, I reacted quick! The rod flew out and just missed the ceiling. My other hand that was holding the case got burned w a few black spots on fingers and hands. I pulled my head out of the way in time but the percussion left me slightly dizzy for a little while. The loud noise has my ears ringing. I should have had safety glasses on but I got lazy since I was just loading 6 cartridges. No real harm done, I finished the 6. Close call but a sobering reminder that reloading can be dangerous and you can't let your guard down.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lil' accident reloading

Post by C. Cash »

Wow! Glad you are OK Joe. Uh, could you pick a cartridge that is slightly less powerful also so you don't worry us so much? :shock: That must have been a shock.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
1894c

Post by 1894c »

glad you're ok too...i hate wake-up calls like that...glad you posted though good reminder for all of us...thank you... :)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Glad you weren't seriously hurt Joe! Will take heed.
God Bless :wink:
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

:shock: Glad you're ok, Joe! Hate it when routine, ordinary things blow up in my face!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For the burns, if they are hurting, take an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen or Aleve. As a friend, I am saying that you need to take more than the package directions. At 800 mg, Ibuprofen does a great job with reducing swelling and stopping pain. Ice it for 2 to 3 days, at 5 minutes iced and 7 to 8 minutes no ice. Aloe Vera is a great healer for burns, not just sunburn. If you have any questions, you have my phone number. Glad you weren't seriously hurt, but accidents do happen.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

not too keen on banging on primers myself
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,
Maybe it's time you buy some better more appropriate loading equipment.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J Miller wrote:Joe,
Maybe it's time you buy some better more appropriate loading equipment.

Joe

Na :lol: For 86er(your taking about a man that goes after big boars with a spear/knife)
Or a dude that plays ride em with big mean bulls.

For him,that's like a mosquito for us! (he "might" do the safety glasses though) :wink:
And maybe give it a slightly reduced"whack" from now on.
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: It happens, don't it? Take care, as I want to hunt with you some day after I retire.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Was all that just from a primer?! I've popped a primer or two but nothing like what you describe. Glad to hear you are okay.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I'd like to see a picture of your set up. I do not mock expedient reloading methods, but I am just curious. Like Rusty, I've popped a few primers on with a Lee Loader, and nothing went flying. There must be more safety enginnering in that simple set up than I thought.

Sean
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

I know you have a drill press. Take a piece of wooden dowel of appropriate diameter to fit in the case. Rotate the drill head over the table and use it to seat primers against the flat table. Works a treat and no pounding. I had to do this to seat primers in some of my converted .45-75 WCF cases.

That said I've never had a primer go off seating it with the Lee Loader method. I can see how it could happen, but it hasn't.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Might be it's time for one of these: 450 Nitro Express Shell Holder, @ $8.17 it seems priceless!
El Chivo wrote:not too keen on banging on primers myself
+1

Tho' I'm glad to hear you escaped with naught but a few little burns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks Griff - one is now on the way!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Darn!
What Griff said +1.

PS Your peach jelly with mint (both grown here at Lakewood Farm) has been located and set aside. Now we just have to keep you in one piece so you can use the jelly on those last-season pheasants you plan to cook up soon. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

Really glad you are okay! That was too close for comfort. Good reminder for everyone on making safety first. Reminds me to get a new set of safety glasses for the reloading bench - and USE THEM!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had one go off while relaoding some .45 ACPs. Gets your attention doesn't it? :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep, just glad it wasn't anything more.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for posting your episode. I't is hard to post mistakes, but we all learn from them.

Owen
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Kinda gets your heart pumping, doesn't it!!! Glad you are ok. Shellholder from a 50-70 might work. I would think you could get a shellholder from Hornady
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Glad your ok and made it out with all your parts! The good news is now your gonna get to update your reloading station!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rustyguns
Levergunner

Post by rustyguns »

Boy. I got one for you, A friend of mine loaded up some 338 win mag rounds, working up loads, went to the range and started at the bottom of the loading chart with rounds loaded progressively higher until he started to see pressure signs. Once he saw the signs he stopped went home and started pulling bullets on the cases with the higher loads. He was using a kinetic pullet puller, his son was helping knock the bullets out, after about five there was a loud bang. the primer had gone off blew out of the case and stuck in the ceiling. They looked at each other and said thank God there was no powder in that case, he continued to knock the bullet out and he dumped out a case full of powder.:o Apparently there was small granule of walnut shell from the tumbler stuck in the flash hole that acted as an anvil when he hammered the case on the floor. That is the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. I guess anything is possible.
Gene O
Life Member NRA. SCV. NMLRA.