44 special for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

44 special for hunting

Post by azmark »

I am looking at both the Blackhawk flattop and the New Vaquero. What are some favorit hunting loads for 44 special that are safe to shoot with the Vaquero should I choose it?
Mark Dickinson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 44 special for hunting

Post by Old Savage »

16 to 17 gr of 2400 and a 240 gr bullet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

7.5 gr. Unique and that 250 gr. Keith bullet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

You can read this article for a little perspective.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-se ... revolvers/
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Any strong opinions on Flattop vs. Vaquero?
Mark Dickinson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Ruger Flattie versus the Vaquero I'd go with the Flattie !

But there's something else at about twice the price you might take notice of !

Colt is bringing the New Frontier back out this year in 44 Special . I think retail is supposed to be about $1250 so I would assume you could most likely get one for about a grand !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

azmark wrote:Any strong opinions on Flattop vs. Vaquero?
The Flattop you can adjust the sights to the load, and the Vaq, you adjust the load to the sights, sort of. Once you file the front sight to raise the POI, it's that way for a long time.

Don't overlook:
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... _74440.asp
Last edited by Blaine on Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As to the Ruger Flatties I've owned a pair of them .

One was a circa 1957 in 44 MAG with a 7 1/2" barrel . The other was a 357 of recent manufacture . They were both nice and I kinda wish I had the 44 MAG back .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Between those two, I'd go with the Flattop, because I'd want the adjustable sights for hunting (self-defense at typical ranges I'd be ok with fixed sights, or better yet, Crimson Trace grips).

That Charter Arms BlaineG mentioned would do well for hunting, plus double as a CCW piece if needed (Crimson Trace even makes grips for them 8)). It isn't "classic" :roll: , but neither were the Flattops and Colts in their day. Some will dismiss it as not as strong as a Flattop, but a Flattop isn't as strong as a Redhawk, but that doesn't make it bad - typical .44 Special loads are not going to shoot any modern gun loose in a normal lifetime.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

In addition to Old Savage and Hobies excellent load recommendations, I've been messing a bit with bludot with the keith bullet , and while I haven't chrono'ld it yet, from the way the Colt bites my knuckles it's surely a good hunting possibility.
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Don - If you don't mind, what's your Blue Dot load with the Keith bullet ? Understand if you don't want to post it, but I'm curious because a buddy is buying one of the new .44 Special Flattops and he'll be turning to me for loads.

That .44 Special Flattop is very nice. I want one to be my .45 Colt Blackhawk's little brother. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been thinking about a Bisley in .44 Spec I saw on the Ruger page. I really like that Bisley grip.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Dixieboy 9 grs seems to be about right. The data I have shows you can go a bit higher than that, but it feels like just a bit much.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One might explore Power Pistol (powder) as well, same bullets. I believe this is what Buffalo Bore uses and his are excellent, accurate and powerful loads.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Don and Hobie - Thanks guys. I get a kick with how the .44 Special has gotten another lease on life these days. And I love it when the self described "experts" are proven absolutely wrong when they proclaim a great old cartridge "dead."

I just got a chance to shoot one of the .44 Special Flattops about a month ago. Very nice shooting gun.

Thanks again guys. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: :lol: Dixiboy I had an expert on another forum tell me that the 44 special was an absolutley useless introduction, Why they already had the 44-40 and the 44 magnum, there just was no need for them to bring out the 44 special. :shock: :lol: :lol:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm a Vaquero/New Vaquero nut, but for the OP's intended focus with this, I say the Flattop for the sights. For me, if the hunting ratio is > 40-50%, FT, < = New Vaquero.
Same strength between the two, by the way, being the same frame--if that wasn't clear (re question about what was safe specifically in the NV if that was chosen).
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I've got both the flattop and the Vaquero in 44 special. Of the two, I shoot more accurately with the Vaquero. I don't know why, and it goes against the logic of adjustable sights being better for accuracy, but that's how it works for me. And since I never tire of showing pics of them, here they are:

A New Vaquero in 44 special with Antique Paper Micarta grips by Pvt. Schultz and a Duke #44 rig by El Paso Saddlery.

A Lispey's Ruger .44 Special Flattop with elk grips by Sack Petersen.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wow ND, you have treated those Ruger's right !

back to Dixieboy though, --- i'd be inclined to go for adjustable sights on a Ruger unless i thought i would be using it for some classes of CAS someday that require fixed sights.

I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to Rugers, as i feel they are a modern (well, somewhat modern if you consider a 60 year old design modern) and effective design and i need every advantage i can get when it comes to hitting things with a handgun, so i'll take mine with adjustable sights . :)
----- Doug
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Flat top for sure unless U want the Nostique then the Old Vaquero not the New. Just Me.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Don - Don't you just love some of these guys on the web ? With most guys who load for .44 Magnums loading them DOWN to more fun levels, it's no surprise that everybody loved the .44 Specials when Ruger brought 'em out. The Flattop configuration is just icing on the cake.

NDCowboy - Wow ! Gorgeous shooters !! I love the grips and rig you've got set up for the Vaquero. Gonna have to find a few bucks for a set of grips like those antiqued micartas. Seriously good looking guns. - DixieBoy
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The real answer is to buy both then go back and forth ad I do about which you prefer. I would like a third with a 7 1/2" barrel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DixieBoy wrote:Don - Don't you just love some of these guys on the web ? With most guys who load for .44 Magnums loading them DOWN to more fun levels, it's no surprise that everybody loved the .44 Specials when Ruger brought 'em out. The Flattop configuration is just icing on the cake.

NDCowboy - Wow ! Gorgeous shooters !! I love the grips and rig you've got set up for the Vaquero. Gonna have to find a few bucks for a set of grips like those antiqued micartas. Seriously good looking guns. - DixieBoy
Full house .44mag sucks.....I load with Blue Dot and keep the fps to around 1100 or so no matter the bullet weight.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have a 45 Flattop and love it, really don't think you could go wrong with one chambered for the Special.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

BlaineG wrote:Full house .44mag sucks.....I load with Blue Dot and keep the fps to around 1100 or so no matter the bullet weight.
Naw, just save the full house loads for the agravating douche thats begging to try shootin' a magnum. :evil:
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

gak wrote:I'm a Vaquero/New Vaquero nut, but for the OP's intended focus with this, I say the Flattop for the sights. For me, if the hunting ratio is > 40-50%, FT, < = New Vaquero.
Same strength between the two, by the way, being the same frame--if that wasn't clear (re question about what was safe specifically in the NV if that was chosen).
To clear things up, my hopeful purchase of the flattop or NV would be used 90% at the range or in the canyon plinking at cans. I don't even know yet if I will get a chance to hunt this year. I will be travelling for work extensively this summer and fall.
Mark Dickinson
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

My suggestion is to handle each one, buy the one that feels best for you. I have a 44 spl flat top 4 5/8 blue and a 44 spl New Vaquero polished stainless 3 3/4" barrel. Love them both but the New Vaquero is the one that goes with me in a Lee Liles belt rig that has a crossdraw holster.

My favorite load is the Hornady 240 XTP over 7.5 grains of Unique in either gun.

By the way, I highly recommend you check out Lee Liles belts and holsters. Top notch and reasonable prices. I purchased a holster for the flat top at a Tulsa gun show and, after making it, he hand delivered it to my place of business over 150 miles from his shop in one week. Great guy!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You guy's make me cry :cry:

I would love to tote a 44 special in the field, I could have some fun thats for sure.

An accurate target load would take alot of small game on my walk.

I even think in one of my natural blinds a ball of sorts in the case and a pinch of 231 or bullseye would take game, my air pistol does!!

Good luck.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You mean something like this offhand at 25 yds Nath :) Actually - the top is with a K22 offhand at 50 ft. The lower right is with a 1911 offhand at 50 ft and the lower right is with a Model 24 44 Spl offhand at 25 yds.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Savage wrote:You mean something like this offhand at 25 yds Nath :) Actually - the top is with a K22 offhand at 50 ft. The lower right is with a 1911 offhand at 50 ft and the lower right is with a Model 24 44 Spl offhand at 25 yds.

Sure do OS. Perfect ole' friend :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just remember the NM Vaquero is a Colt sized frame. The Flat TOP is the full sized Ruger, significant difference in what pressures they'll handle. Don't go hot roddin' in the New Vaquero! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Griff wrote:Just remember the NM Vaquero is a Colt sized frame. The Flat TOP is the full sized Ruger, significant difference in what pressures they'll handle. Don't go hot roddin' in the New Vaquero! :P
The new FT is the NV frame, same pressure limitations. This does not apply to the 50th Anniversary .44 Mag FT...

I got an NV a bit after they came out and said I'd get a .44 Special FT if they'd produce that. They did and I got two, both barrel lengths and then they cataloged them. Not interested in stainless but really interested in .45 Colt I got one of those when they were made. I put a SB hammer in the NV but I'm not sure I like it as much as the FTs or the USFA guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That NV/ flattop cylinder and frame will handle anything and everything that needs done with a 45 colts or 44 special. :) Now if they'ld just make one in 38wcf. 8)
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Griff wrote:Just remember the NM Vaquero is a Colt sized frame. The Flat TOP is the full sized Ruger, significant difference in what pressures they'll handle. Don't go hot roddin' in the New Vaquero! :P
Disagree on two points. First, the Flat Top .44 special is the exact same size frame as the New Vaquero.

Second, you can load that New Vaquero to any published .44 special loads, including the warm ones. Handloader magazine did a nice article on those loads a while back and said were fine in the Ruger.

Now, if you want to take your loads up to .44 mag levels, buy a .44 mag.