Colt Socom 45 Auto

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Colt Socom 45 Auto

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
I figured I'd share this extremely rare Colt with you boys as only a handful were made for early government trials in the early nineties for our military SOCOM. Personally, I had never even heard of such a beast (and it is!) until last week when my bud Tommy declares to me, "You gotta see what I just snagged". (I guess its who you know and that ain't me)

Its a huge automatic called the "Offensive Handgun" and combines Colt's double action mechanics with 1911 and all kinds of other things that are over my head. (I'll stick with SAA's :D ) It utilizes a single column 10 round magazine with a compensator that accepts a suppressor. A rail system for lights, etc. Other buttons that are for ??.

Anyway, its big, heavy, well made with a smooth action and a gun I would feel secure with if I had the need to.

Sadly, Heckler & Koch won the contract.------------Sixgun

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Socom 45 Auto

Post by Grizz »

what kind of action? is that a toggle-link like 1911s? or is the barrel fixed in the compensator?

looks like fun, need range report!

Grizz
1894c

Post by 1894c »

no offense...but that is one big ugly Colt...if i remember right, the Colt DA pull was very similar to my staple gun, actually my staple gun had a better trigger pull. besides my lousy commentary, that's a very coooool find, interesting piece of history... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Maybe I should have put this informational link with the post. :oops:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/usa/colt-socom-e.html

Remember, this gun was no commercialized junk that usually comes from today's factories. The Colt factory was trying to sell this to the military so all details such as smooth of operation---and perfect operation was worked out before shipping. I tested the single action trigger pull at a crisp 3.5 pounds while the double action pull was like glass. Plus, this particular gun most likely had many rounds shot out of it, dropped in mud, sand, etc. so it was well broke in.-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think "They" screwed up when they didn't the simplest, easiest to take down, most reliable one out there: Glock, or maybe a Sig 220.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

On appearance alone, this thing is a looser.

When there were, at the time, a number of high capacity 1911's out there, that were easily modified, the military in its infinite wisdom, decided to reinvent the wheel. I watched the "trials" unfold in the various gun rags, all the while wondering who would be giving the biggest kickback. I guess H&K did.

Funny thing is my understanding is that quite a few of our (and I hate this expression, cuz these folks don't really "operate" anything, but I guess the title "special forces" is too passe for them) high speed, low drag operators still prefer the 1911 platform. And there are any number of custom/semi custom outfits that are more than willing and able to supply them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kewl. Didnt know about this one. Thanks for post
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:Maybe I should have put this informational link with the post. :oops:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/usa/colt-socom-e.html

Remember, this gun was no commercialized junk that usually comes from today's factories. The Colt factory was trying to sell this to the military so all details such as smooth of operation---and perfect operation was worked out before shipping. I tested the single action trigger pull at a crisp 3.5 pounds while the double action pull was like glass. Plus, this particular gun most likely had many rounds shot out of it, dropped in mud, sand, etc. so it was well broke in.-------Sixgun
...i stand corrected...thank you SIXGUN for the link...interesting piece of history... :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's different! 8)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They basically specified that it not be the 1911, and that it have all sorts of goodies available that at the time, 1911s were not easily adaptable to.

The winner (Mk 23) led to the USP/P2000/P30, so not all was lost, but you're right.

99% of these stay in an arms room somewhere, SEALs use Sigs, Delta uses 1911s (though they were experimenting with Glock 22's for a bit, and may have changed from 1911s due to operational needs) and regular SF uses either M9's, occasionally Glocks (working with the ANA/ANP and equivalent who are issued them) and apparently 1911s at times, according to the various special operations types I've known myself.

The Offensive Pistol was supposed to be a primary weapon for when a SMG or rifle was too big, and suppressed close range work was needed. Not too many pistols are designed from the start to be suppressed, this one was. Problem is it was nearly as big and heavy as an MP5K-PDW with all the stuff attached, and the K is a lot easier to actually hit with.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:.

The winner (Mk 23) led to the USP/P2000/P30, so not all was lost, but you're right.

The great failing of the MK-23 in my eyes was the 10 round magazine , when a stock Glock 21 held 13 rounds in a smaller platform. This hardly seemed like the capacity needed for an "offensive pistol" - (their .45 carbine they brought out for the civilian market has this same failing, despite looking like a million bucks )

Murph, do you know if the military had higher cap mags available for these? --- the 10 round thing may just be a thrownback to the AWB days for civilian purchasers

I'd like to have the HK Socom pistol for a "fun gun" --- kinda the same way i would love to own a Desert Eagle and a Ranch Hand someday too - no good reason, they just look fun to shoot (i guess thats a good reason OTOH :lol: )
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The specification written up specificed 10 round minimum.

So they gave it 10 rounds.

Never seen or heard or anything bigger in the Mk 23. If they needed more firepower, they went to long guns. Gotta remember this is made for suppressed headshots in the dark, etc. One round well placed.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

MrMurphy wrote:They basically specified that it not be the 1911, and that it have all sorts of goodies available that at the time, 1911s were not easily adaptable to.

99% of these stay in an arms room somewhere, SEALs use Sigs, Delta uses 1911s (though they were experimenting with Glock 22's for a bit, and may have changed from 1911s due to operational needs) and regular SF uses either M9's, occasionally Glocks (working with the ANA/ANP and equivalent who are issued them) and apparently 1911s at times, according to the various special operations types I've known myself.

The Offensive Pistol was supposed to be a primary weapon for when a SMG or rifle was too big, and suppressed close range work was needed. Not too many pistols are designed from the start to be suppressed, this one was. Problem is it was nearly as big and heavy as an MP5K-PDW with all the stuff attached, and the K is a lot easier to actually hit with.
Spot on. The MK23 was choosen over the Colt for a few different reasons. I have had my hands on both (sorry, no details) and they do shoot well. The MK23 is a bulky ***. In the SF community, 1911 and Sigs are the norm.