need opinions on spending my money - 1 gun or 2...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

need opinions on spending my money - 1 gun or 2...

Post by AndyM »

I beleive this is a great group of people who visit here and I always take into considerations all of your opinions when asked (and sometimes even when they are not asked :P )... So, here is my dilemma and this is a good dilemma to have - I have built a little stash of money and it is time to cut it loose.

My biggest current "want" in terms of firearms - is a 1874 Sharps in 45-70 and a Winchester 1894 SRC. I do not own a Sharps but do own a pre-64 1894 (1950's version) and a 1894 rifle in 30-30 which I love.

So here is where my heads starts talking to itself... I have enough stash to order/buy a Shiloh Sharps, which by most accounts is the best of the best in terms of Sharps - that would pretty much empty the stash. I do not know if my interest will keep as strong as it currently is with Sharps rifles in the future or not, this would be my first attempt with these black powder single shots... Everyone who has a Shiloh is totally in love with them and at looking at them - I can understand why - top notch all the way...

So get the Shiloh or split the cash up and get a Pedersoli Sharps (good quality) and get a SRC carbine I have been eyeing up also? The SRC is mid-1910's vintage 32 special - not re-done and correct sights, buttstock, etc. and a good shootable bore.

They are not making anymore Winchester SRC and they make more Shiloh's everyday, BUT you can never go wrong by buying quality up front, if I truely do get into Sharps full force I could always order a Shiloh later customized to my wants. Then again - a good deal on a Winchester SRC are getting harder to come by... on and on for days now...

What are your thoughts? Thanks...
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

How big is your ego?

Common sense would indicate that the Pedersoli should satisfy most of your wonder lust for a "Sharps" and the '94 SRC sounds like a definite want. A Shiloh is all about "image", yes they do have fundamental perceived advantages as in being made "here", need less massaging to perform, and have a fanatic owner's group. That being said, didn't one of the top long range shooters at Drummond last year have a "cheap" Pedersoli?

So if you are not 100% dedicated to the entire aura of a true "Buffalo" gun and all that goes with it, my advice(of course the only one that should count) is to get the '94 SRC and a Pedersoli. The Pedersoli probably will not lose value if later you decide to make the full commitment.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whats your gut tell you? Which is the one that hits the "soul" deeper. Thats the one you want. If your a guy who has limited funds and can only buy once or twice a year, my suggestion is to buy the '94 src as that is money in the bank gaining probably 6-8% a year while the Sharps may be cool, its going to be a while before the bucks come back.

Take my advice, I remember when 1886's were all over the place for 4-8 c-notes and people only wanted the ones with high condition. Today a junker brings 2 G's. Buy the best '94 you can find that has condition as they climb faster in value and are easier to sell. I'll go as far as to say to invest all of your play money in Winchesters--get 2 src's--or 3, or 1 really nice one with lots of condition.

Don't buy the Sharps because your buddies have 'em and it gives you all something to talk about. That wears off mighty fast and here you will have tied up 3 G's that could be better spent on nice investment grade Winchesters that tickle you more :D In the end, its your call-----Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

+1 for what Sixgun said
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

All I can say is I love my Sharps and it's a Shiloh. But, here's my experience. They're heavy, they're a single shot, and if you haven't just fallen head over heals in love with them, the infatuation will fade. Then you'll find yourself more than likely losing money on selling/trading it, or time.

Like sixgun said, what does your gut tell you?
Old Law Dawg
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

You might want to ask yourself which one you will shoot the most, or will it just be a safe queen after a little while. Of course I guess there is nothing wrong with owning a safe queen or two.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+ or two. Shooting a gun is the most fun,looking is a close second, third is go back to number one. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've fondled a pedersoli that was priced cheap, compared to shiloh. I couldn't get past the imperfections, the biggest of which was that the front sight wasn't indexed correctly, and there is some kind of hammer-block-safety that I don't think is original. Plus, the rear sight had issues and was not on the same plane as the front sight. I know, I don't understand it either...

Other than that it was very tempting, price-wise. I'm still glad I passed..,

Grizz
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I dont know what kind of prices you can find on the Pedersoli, but around here they are pushing close to $1500.
I 've been saving money for a C.Sharps 1875.

As far as the SRC goes I dont know.
I am still looking for a decent pre-64 at a fair price.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Andy,
We all have different opinions. I bought a sharps 5 yrs. ago and it is by far the best made of the '74s It is also the only one stated to be as strong as the Ruger #1s.I sold my Shiloh sharps this past March for $3300. I paid $2300. Bought a Browning '85 BPCR used ,but in perfect shape for $800. IMHO the "85 Browning is the best of all.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Andy , if you look closely at the prices and new Shiloh, or C Sharps is only a couple hundred more than a Pedersoli. In terms of if you get tired of it in the future either the CSA or the Shiloh will likely return you the full price, the Pedersoli won' get you back the full price by the time you leave the store and get in your car.
Used to be when the Pedersoli's and other Italian guns could be bought 2 for the price of 1 Big Timber rifle, they did make more monetary sense. But as the dollar has devalued so badly the Italians are actually a poor choice monetarily.
You can also get a 1875 Sporting and Target model from CSA complete with deluxe sights for 1680 +fet. Try getting a Pedersoli ready to challenge the winners at a match for that little.

If you're 94 is a carbine all your missing is the saddle ring and that awful carbine butt stock, and depending on if somebody changed the sights or not the carbine ladder sight. All 3 items could be put on your 94 for 200$ or so.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've shot both the Pedersoli and the Shiloh. The Pedersoli was more accurate, and better looking. I'd like to have a Shiloh so I could name drop, but the Pedersoli is just as nice.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Lloyd Smale
Levergunner

Post by Lloyd Smale »

do some sole searching. If you want a sharps buck up and buy the shiloh or youll just wish you did everytime you shoot the pedersoli. There not a bad gun but the ones ive handled seemed more flash then real quality. As to loosing money, you take that chance with every gun purchase. Id say youd loose less on the shiloh. theres a waiting list to get one and people are going to be willing to give you more for yours then something like a pedersoli that can be bought anytime. Just look too at anyone that shoots black powder competition and see what they shoot. Its either built by shiloh or by C sharps. At least the ones that win do anyway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Over @ Gunbroker I found only ONE Shiloh Sharp for sale. It's been used, and is probably priced a bit on the high side. Ordering a new like equipped Shiloh would set you back about $2900 with an approx 18 month wait. So, is $600 savings to wait for YOUR rifle to be built.

Or, something similar is the Pedersoli "Big Fifty" available from Cimarron Firearms for like $2312. And models in .45-70 are available for a retail list price of down around $1600.

The one thing I've heard repeatedly, is that the Pedersoli rifles are great shooters, (I believe that they're getting their barrels from Badger these days), but their fit & finish is below what can be taken for granted @ Shiloh or C. Sharps. Don't get me wrong, my Shiloh is of excellent quality, and I'm certainly happy with it.

In looking at Grunbroker for an SRC Winchester 1894, I found nothing that really turned me on. Most, IMO, are abused, or just to ostentatiously decorated to be a "shooter". Almost all were overpriced, IMO. I have seen some good examples at a couple of smaller shows that were in well-used, but not abused condition, and priced relatively low for the market, from a low of $300 to a high of $900 (it was a VERY nice, hardly used example).

Your instincts are right on. You can probably buy your SRC and a Pedersoli for what you'd give for an 18 month wait on a custom Shiloh. It's only about what you want. I happen to love Winchester 94s, (but my preferences run to "rifle" configurations) and Shilohs. I simply couldn't split my desire for either into an "either / or" decision. I love the fit and function of the Shiloh far more than I desire the functionality of the Pedersoli.

Good luck in your search and decision making process. I know where I'd be headed! :wink: 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would be looking at davidsons run of 1886 takedown deluxe models. I bought one last year and am fighting the urge to buy another and send it to turnbull to become a 50-110.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

I guess everyone has an opinion... but I just have to disagree with a post above.

It was stated that a Pedersoli was "just as nice as a Shiloh". In my opinion, there is no comparison. The wood to metal fit, quality of wood, metal finish and overall craftmanship of the Shiloh is way better than the Italian imports. If you lay them side by side, the difference is obvious.

As far as one shooting well, the quality of ammo is a way bigger factor than any particular gun.

I am in a Blackpowder BPCR club. At one time there were a number of the Italian sharps at the matchs. Over the years, those have mostly been traded off or sold and almost all are now shooting Shilohs, C. Sharps, Meachams or Ballards. I think that says a lot.

A Winchester Collector
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Harleys are very popular. They aren't better than Hondas. My observations were based on shooting the two side by side. At 1/2 the price the Italian jobs are excellent IMO.

Both are way overpriced. I'd rather have a Ruger #3 in .30-40 Krag.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Where are you guys pricing these Pedersolis that run a few hundred lower than a Shiloh? The gun shops and sporting goods stores around here sell the Quigley or Billy Dixon model Pedersolis for around $1400-$1500. You can't touch a similar Shiloh for twice that.
As for what you want, I agree with not buying anything just for bragging rights. If you want to shoot it, then buy one you'll use. If you want to hold it, and show it to your friends, then buy whatever you think will make you happy. (or impress them) :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

marlinman93 wrote:Where are you guys pricing these Pedersolis that run a few hundred lower than a Shiloh? The gun shops and sporting goods stores around here sell the Quigley or Billy Dixon model Pedersolis for around $1400-$1500. You can't touch a similar Shiloh for twice that.
As for what you want, I agree with not buying anything just for bragging rights. If you want to shoot it, then buy one you'll use. If you want to hold it, and show it to your friends, then buy whatever you think will make you happy. (or impress them) :wink:
To get to twice the price of the Sphagetti guns you'ld have to add a whole bunch of options now. Last I looked at Cabela's and Dixie the Pedersoli Quigley was 1999.99. As of the last C Sharps available list you can get a Birdgeport with fancy wood and cheek piece delivered for 2350. Now for 350 more dollars I know what I think to be the better buy.
Just went thru this whole deal on another board and the fella doing the questioning called Shiloh, and low and behold he got a LRE that was needing a home for what he described as a few hundred dollars more ,but close enough,than the really good deal the local dealer was going to give on a Quigley model Pedersoli.
Base price on bone stock CSA's and Shilohs are about 1900. That's close enough to the Italians at the moment to make the brand new Italians a non issue. IMHO
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

You can get a nice Pedersoli for $1250.00. You don't have to wait 2 years.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,284.html

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Start taking guns off the list. Which ones hurt the worst to think of never owning them? Try flipping a coin. Which side are you wishing lands "up"?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Somehow it always comes down to money!
But if it were my choice and I plan to do a lot
of shooting....and compete...I would go with the
Shiloh or C sharps...
#1 Its American made
#2 They hold there value better...way better
#3 Probably better Quaility
#4 Accuracy is ...well I cant atest to that, or compare them,
but the c charps I got to shoot once was unbelievable...
#5 If you want a new one you will have to wait.....there has always
been a waiting list...Back in the early 90s it was 3 years...
#6 I would search all the auctions, google the web and look
through shogun news or other mags...and go to other
forums that talk about this stuff
#7 I hope you have a place to shoot long range.....
cause shooting these big boys at 200 yards or less
just aint gonna cut it.....fun wise..
But if ya just want to shoot once in a while...
and money is a big issue..you can find a very nice, used spegetti
gun fairly easy...I had a chance to buy a 45-70 ped over the
holidays for 1000 bucks...and it was flawless...very nicely fitted
I have 3 spegetti guns, 2 Ubertis and a stampede beretta.
I am happy with the ubertis but the stampede is a boat anchor...