Face Book

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Face Book

Post by Hobie »

If you're on FB and want to connect there OR if you'd like to know if somebody here is on FB, please make those contacts in PMs to preserve user anonymity where appropriate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Face Book

Post by AJMD429 »

When I'm on the forum my wife says "Are you on 'GunBook' again...?" :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:When I'm on the forum my wife says "Are you on 'GunBook' again...?" :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"Gunbook" -I love it! :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Haha. Got a few of the folks on here as facebook friends.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Doc your wife's comments made Mrs Brennan chuckle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm no secret....Blaine Garver
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:I'm no secret....Blaine Garver
Me neither - John deFresno!
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Jeff Jamison

Post by seasidehunter »

there is a lot of Jeff jamisons

look for film maker in Los Angeles

went to Clemson & Thinderbird
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Me either, Ken Prince Jr.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

What's the diff between fb and gb, ie this forum, as far as information transfer is concerned?

OR what is fb actually good for?

thanks
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Grizz,

Noboby answered you, so I will. This is what I think is called a forum where folks post their views, answers, quips, pix, and so on. Facebook is a "social network."

With Facebook, when you click on a person's name and make him/her a "friend," then they can see anything that you post to your site - comments, pictures, invitations (I'll explain that), and rants. If you decide to "unfriend" them, they can't see certain stuff. As I recall, you can have a "friends only" posting or a general posting. By the way, that sets up a problem in itself; there were many people that I didn't really know, and a few that I frankly learned not to trust, who were then offended (I learned) if I denied their request to "friend" them.

Your "friends" can also play online games with you via the Internet - like a Mafia hitman game, or the insipid "Farm" game where you "work" on somebody else's farm to raise crops with little animated people (I kid you not). Sorry folks, but - - - get a life!

Once you get on and join up with a "friend," then that person's "friends" are suggested to you so that you can include them in your network. It's great for businesses, organizations, and so on who want the publicity and "board presence." Many pastors use it.

Now the downsides, and the reason I dropped Facebook after an approximate two month trial.
1) Some people, even my good friends, felt like posting every day, stuff like - "Well I woke up this morning, had some coffee and then worked on the weeds." Do I really want to sit here and filter through all of this stuff?

2) People (good friends are the hardest to turn down) constantly barrage you with their pet charities for which you can contribute online, like a former working associate, much beloved by me, who supports a house for stray cats... I got tired of saying, "No;" and even more quickly tired of sending a few bucks online!

3) Other folks keep begging you to join their time-wasting "Mafia" or "Farm" online board game.

4) One of the more annoying things - folks want you to post your political opinions on every subject imaginable. If you answered all of them, you could probably manage to offend every person on the net about something, because some of them are quite specific and many are inflammatory, given the broad array of "friends" of friends who you barely know, or really don't know at all.

5) The final two straws: Many reported break-ins based upon burglars reading of who went where and when, who develop a pattern of your comings and goings, and -

6) I ended up with so many postings to me or about me or a friend that required an answer that I ended up offending somebody because I didn't get to them or else I was distracted from doing more worthwhile stuff (to be brutally frank). I don't even have time to read all of the postings on Leverguns!

I have heard two leading media persons (O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh? Don't recall) both announce at one time or another that Facebook got to be just too much and was too invasive, so they won't use it.

Many, however, use Twitter, which is something where you can "Tweet" them with a short message (limited to something like 125 or 250 characters) on a kind of Town Hall give and take forum. And there are others...

But Twitter, Tweets, Flutter, Flubber, Facebook, Fooey - I think that they are a huge waste of time for a retired guy like me who wants to use his time for his family and purposes. Certainly, Facebook gets to be too much of an invasion of privacy, if you use it for a conversational tool instead of a business forum or for political statements (like the Fresno County Sheriff or Sara Palin, who use it effectively as a platform for their ideas).

If you start using it for a chat site (which most do), you end up having to be a bit rude to all of the questioners who bring up all of your "old times" (which might get a little more specific than you wished to share with literally everybody) and ask questions of your family that they expect you to post that are then viewable (and shareable) to whomever they wish to share it with.

And once you post something, it can there forever, saved somewhere. Many employers are now looking at Facebook and actually not hiring, and in some cases firing, potential or existing employees, because of stupid comments that they drop into Facebook to "a friend" in a poorly considered moment. Especially with our younger, wilder generation.

If that sounds a bit curmudgeonly, then so be it. It is my truthful evaluation of this politically correct invasion of privacy.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Leverdude wrote:

Ken, I think AKChurch is looking for you...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

John

Thanks so much for the detailed analysis. You've explained every objection that I had imagined and definately saved me some time.

I'm sure I'm missing out on something, but it sounds like the right type of somethings to miss.

thanks

Grizz
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I know people who are on FB and you guys here know it but...

I got on FB to track down relatives in my quest for genealogy data... Works a treat. Even if you are very secretive, there's a lot to be learned from your account. Being careful isn't being paranoid.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The finding of old school friends, and army buddies is well worth any doubts I have. I no longer have any illusion of privacy, anyway.... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:The finding of old school friends, and army buddies is well worth any doubts I have. I no longer have any illusion of privacy, anyway.... :roll:
I hear you!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hobie wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

Ken, I think AKChurch is looking for you...

Why do you say that? No pm's.... I'm not here that often so I may have missed something.
I like Facebook, though it did take getting used to. I had it a opulent years before I figured out what to do with it. It can be annoying but it can, just like these forums, which are also easily searchable for stuff we might not want everyone to see, introduce you to some good folks. You do get bombarded but that don't bug me. It seems to know who you interact with on an ongoing basis and stuff shows up n your wall based on that. For instance I don't type at my wife because she lives here. So her stuff doesnt pop up on my wall nless I look for it.
It can help re establish relationships with family that's moved away, even if you talk regularly. All in all I think it's a pretty neat thing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We use it for a network of chiropractors using a specific xray and adjusting technique. It works very well for communications, referrals and discussions. You can hide all the game and stuff people want you to play that you aren't interested in and you can hide the feed of people who tell you what their kids are having for breakfast but still be able to look in on their activities or get a message to them. I never agree to anything that wants access to my information but most of it is public anyway. I don't put my birthday or private ID info out there and if they require a birthday it is not my real one. I would say use your head and see what it is useful for for you.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Lady Joyce
Levergunner

Post by Lady Joyce »

Last edited by Lady Joyce on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salps
Levergunner

Post by Salps »

I just created a "Marlin lever action" group on Facebox if anyone wants to join.
Thanks Scott
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

[quote="Lady Joyce"][quote="Leverdude"][quote="BlaineG"]I'm no secret....Blaine Garver[/quote]

Me either, Ken Prince Jr.[/quote]

Mike and I are facebookers as well.[/quote]

I have Mike as a friend and enjoy reading his post.

Main reason I got on is it makes it easy for me to stay in touch with family, friends, and Marine buddies of mine. I move a lot in this job so it keeps me from dissapearing on folks lol.

Jeremy Reed by the way just look for the one that's says Marine Corps for employer.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Between the car accident, then trying to catch up on work, and 6 straight weeks of travel, I think it has been over a month since I've been on facebook. Oh well, if I get free time - which isn't often - I'd rather be here!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

BlaineG wrote:The finding of old school friends, and army buddies is well worth any doubts I have. I no longer have any illusion of privacy, anyway.... :roll:
My feeling as well. I keep mine pretty locked down and don't post to it often, but it's been an amazing resource for getting back in touch with old platoon mates.

Best
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I do not participate on Facebook. My wife and daughter do. I see it as a waste of time when there are FAR better things to be doing.

And here I am on this forum!!
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DougB wrote:I do not participate on Facebook. My wife and daughter do. I see it as a waste of time when there are FAR better things to be doing.

Yep, glad you're not wasting time on FB... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

dandee
Levergunner

Post by dandee »

Just made a new private group on facebook if anyone does that stuff here. Check it out and send me a request to join. Thanks Dan
http://www.facebook.com/groups/437622549602004/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have been on FB since the first of the year. Don't know any particular gun folks but do have lots of personal friends on it. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I use it to keep My Grandkids in check among other things.
Perry Weiher
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm there and play some word games w/ family, but I don't post very much at all. It is a good way to keep in touch with long lost former students. (Some of them actually enjoyed my class! 8) )
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now just mostly social with old friends.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Southern Bamboo
Levergunner

Post by Southern Bamboo »

[quote="JohndeFresno"]Grizz,

[snip]
And once you post something, it can there forever, saved somewhere. Many employers are now looking at Facebook and actually not hiring, and in some cases firing, potential or existing employees, because of stupid comments that they drop into Facebook to "a friend" in a poorly considered moment. Especially with our younger, wilder generation.

[snip]

There are reports of HR recruiters that WON'T hire you if you don't have any social media accounts - LinkedIn, Twitter, FaceBook, etc. It's become so 'normal' not having one is considered 'abnormal' or a red flag...

Just passing along what I hear...

SB...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Southern Bamboo wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:Grizz,

[snip]

[snip]

There are reports of HR recruiters that WON'T hire you if you don't have any social media accounts - LinkedIn, Twitter, FaceBook, etc. It's become so 'normal' not having one is considered 'abnormal' or a red flag...

Just passing along what I hear...

SB...
Heard exactly that same thing in a news report the other day. The general agreement was that it was an extreme and unwarranted position, and rare to boot, but they DID mention it. What was far more common however, is that they REQUIRE prospective job applicants to provide their social media information so that they can check it before they will hire a person. Some go so far as to require them to provide account passwords so that they can review their sites for a given period of time after which the job applicant can change the password.

If I were in the job market I'd have one, minimally post extremely bland and/or wholesome things to it, and keep it locked down TIGHT re. what anyone else can post to it. Don't give a prospective employer anything to use against you but play the game in order to get a job if that's what you need to put food on the table.

What a world we live in...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
BedroomHowitzer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BedroomHowitzer »

I have one as well. I use it to mainly keep in touch with family and friends I have had at stations I have been. Not that I am pro anti-personal, but Facebook makes it easy to share videos and pictures of what's been going on with our daughter (and nieces and nephews) to the grandparents. When you don't live close enough to see them every now and again, Facebook comes in handy. It has it's uses, but I think the world would be better without it altogether. And employers can be sued for asking for your password in an interview (some still do it, but it's illegal to compromise the privacy of those not being interviewed, in which case I can be sued). But also of note, anything posted on the internet is subject to monitoring and becomes free game for anyone who has access to it.
Non veniam in noctem nec tacitus. - I will not go quietly into the night
Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My life has been lived in the public eye (i.e. fish bowl) where every action, every word and every nuance has been subjected to all kinds of thinking and criticism. I decided long ago just to be myself and be the same in every circumstances. Those that like it, like it. Those than don't can just go whiz up a rope. There is no sense living life on tip toes because what somebody might think.

So, I have no secrets and don't want any secrets. Life is much easier and less complex that way.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My life has been lived in the public eye (i.e. fish bowl) where every action, every word and every nuance has been subjected to all kinds of thinking and criticism. I decided long ago just to be myself and be the same in every circumstances. Those that like it, like it. Those than don't can just go whiz up a rope. There is no sense living life on tip toes because what somebody might think.

So, I have no secrets and don't want any secrets. Life is much easier and less complex that way.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Charles wrote:My life has been lived in the public eye (i.e. fish bowl) where every action, every word and every nuance has been subjected to all kinds of thinking and criticism. I decided long ago just to be myself and be the same in every circumstances. Those that like it, like it. Those than don't can just go whiz up a rope. There is no sense living life on tip toes because what somebody might think.

I value your FB posts...insightful, and thought provoking to say the least....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

When I am on line at Rimfire, leverguns, etc. my wife just tell friends
he is in his man cave looking at "GUN PORN".
Pitchfire
Levergunner

Post by Pitchfire »

Gun District is the Face book'esque gun community. Rather in it's infancy though.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife is on it quite a bit with her games and quilting group. I used her account to sign up for several gun-related Facebook sites here in Wyoming, but now you cant buy or sell guns over them any more so I gave it up as a bad job.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OK, I guess I'm facebook "challenged". I looked for Paco Kelly, Paco Kelly Leverguns, Leverguns.com, and a couple other combinations but my search didn't get me to the facebook equivalent of the forum...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:OK, I guess I'm facebook "challenged". I looked for Paco Kelly, Paco Kelly Leverguns, Leverguns.com, and a couple other combinations but my search didn't get me to the facebook equivalent of the forum...
There isn't one. Facebook, as described by Hobie, and others is "just" Facebook. This forum does not maintain a presence there. There are a lot of us there, and there are some firearm-based Pages, (some of them started by peeps you prolly know from here....BTW, anyone can start a Facebook Page) but nothing associated with this place.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
throckmorton4440
Levergunner

Post by throckmorton4440 »

I really like fb, almost live there. One thing I like is all the reloading and gun groups one can join, and have almost immediate answers to any kind of question,and share my/our knowledge in real time. Iv've also used it to search for old friends and family,and have done so with success , many times.
You can block people and posts that yu don't want to see again, you can choose to be on chat lists,or not, there are some controls to tailor your account.

I"m no secret either...who is in this day and age ! ?

mike cox, Florence,Or .. my profile pic is me in black hat shooting my Yellowboy sass alias Throckmorton
OldRvr
Levergunner

Post by OldRvr »

Thanks for that last post Throkmorton
I get on there once in a while to keep up with relatives and Old buddies in other parts of the Country , I did join a Milsurp group but have forgot all about it. I will have to look into the Groups that you mentioned .
As for what the other Guys said ,I try not to put too much out there and tread light lightly . And often when I get off it I feel like I have waisted time that could been better spent. I much prefer to be on one of the Gun related Forums Local and National as they are a great source of information. Just my 2 Cents
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

DougB wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:55 am I do not participate on Facebook. My wife and daughter do. I see it as a waste of time when there are FAR better things to be doing.

I'm with ya, I have a facebook my wife put up "for me", I don't even know the password.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I finally got around to completely killing my Facebook account last weekend. Been meaning to do it for years. I didn't have time for it, and when I thought about the "Big Brother" implications, it just wasn't worth it. Their leftist politics were the straw that broke the camel's back for me. :evil: :evil: :evil:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Following this week's news?

er... I told you so.

Fellow Levergunners, I hope that the following information is taken as a well-meaning warning from my own point of view. It is my opinion, and that of many professionals in the computer security arena, as well as scores of news commentators over the years - especially those commentators who work for the "Real News" network!

The reason that monikers are encouraged on public forums - e.g. "Justin Case," "Boomstick Loader,"etc. instead of "John James Everyone" - is so that various advertisers, malicious browsers, anti-gun groups, and our growing numbers of patently corrupt Leftist government officials have a little more difficulty in targeting you, the user, for various reasons.

The reasons, which are "legion," have been discussed, debated, and exposed for many years, now.

For those of you who are locked into your opinion that the the Internet is totally safe, like an Interstate Highway that you can walk across without looking both ways and without a care, this last post by JohndeFresno is not worth reading further. I truly wish you well.

However:
Just in the above posts, I find 5 complete names of gun enthusiasts (and therefore logically gun owners) with their cities, full addresses of which are almost always easily researched online for complete addresses. There are 2 more complete names that were quickly deduced from either a a related website or a comment in the above posts.

I have already made a believer of one Levergunner, privately, by revealing to him or her the full residence address and then including a Google Earth photo of that person's home. It took me 5 minutes or less.

When I clicked on the Gun Nuts forum - without joining it - its listing of 1100 plus members showed complete names with the exception of one (if my quick perusal was correct - the clever "Bonnie N Clyde" moniker). And Jeff Quinn, of course, is exempt from concern because he has a well known gun relate site, anyway.

OK - Thanks for reading. Just sharing my concern - y'all are big boys and girls, so the choice remains yours; at least until our site and perhaps our Facebook sites are taken off the Internet, already being attempted by our mainly Stalinist government employees and media folks.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

If you'd like to delete your facebook account, here's a link to info on how to do it.

https://medium.com/@getongab/the-ultima ... 93efbf529e
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

dandee wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm Just made a new private group on facebook if anyone does that stuff here. Check it out and send me a request to join. Thanks Dan
http://www.facebook.com/groups/437622549602004/
Request to join has been sent
Rick C.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm If you'd like to delete your facebook account, here's a link to info on how to do it.

https://medium.com/@getongab/the-ultima ... 93efbf529e
The problem i have seen with every source that claims to delete your Facebook account is that they want you password. Supposedly they lock you out (to save you from yourself) and then systematically delete everything you ever posted or clicked on.
But, if they lock you out, how do you know they have deleted it and not used your persona to scam your FB friends? You don't.

The only safe way is to manually delete it all by yourself. One post at a time.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle