Info on Savage 99 in Classifieds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Info on Savage 99 in Classifieds

Post by Old Savage »

If it is for sale here the info should be general on the forum.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: FS in WV: Savage 99 375 Winchester

Post by JB »

Not according to rule number 5 posted for this forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fine but if there is info that is not public the folks of the forum will be suspicious.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Old Savage wrote:Fine but if there is info that is not public the folks of the forum will be suspicious.
:roll:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the rules didn't apply to you. I'll make a note for the future.
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Montana Outfitters »

If one does not have all the books and is shopping for a rifle then this is the best place/way
to find stuff as there are some some extremely knowledgeable people with both field and book
knowledge to help sort the wheat from the chaff and knowing fully what one has for sale is
just as important as what you are buying.......This public think tank has a wonderful ability
to check misrepresentation and in this situation a item that has no linage yet is assumed to be
very rare............Without factory markings of factory production records what does one assume???
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm with Old Savage on this.

While I agree the rules should be obeyed (and if necessary, request be made to change them), I do think it is more practical that questions about the gun(s) for sale be aired in 'public', because often the questions are ones several prospective buyers might have. Answering them thusly saves the seller from having to privately answer dozens of duplicate questions, as well.

Besides, it is educational for the rest of us... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have to say that I was unaware of rule 5 and still not sure how it specifically works as I see quite a bit of discussion on a few of the current classified posts. Taken strictly - I suppose this post breaks it. The collective info here is IMO very helpful on understanding what different firearms are and their history. Sellers aren't always the best source of info. This one is very interesting, if I had an extra 1K I might indeed want it but I would also want the collective info. SO, don't know how rule five came about or from who or what purposes it addresses. I see the regulars here as committed to openness and fairness. And that is not meant as a comment on this seller. Just a general view.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:SO, don't know how rule five came about or from who or what purposes it addresses. I see the regulars here as committed to openness and fairness.
I don't know, but I would suspect the issue is that 'for sale' threads can quickly take a life of their own, discussing pros and cons of a particular model, or even people posting pictures of their versions or 'better' guns, or whatever. That would distract from the seller just trying to get his item sold.

In addition, I thought 'Classifieds' posts only were kept until a certain time period, then became erased and no longer a part of the forum - if true, it would be nice to keep the 'educational' portion of such threads OUT of the 'Classifieds' section for that reason.

If it's the purpose of Rule 5 to keep 'Classified' posts simple and to the point and deletable without deleting good information, I can see the point. On the other hand, I'm sure Hobie has nothing to do job-wise, community-wise, or family-wise, and is just itching to have something else to monitor and arbitrate and deal with. . . :wink:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hobie

Re: Info on Savage 99 in Classifieds

Post by Hobie »

Ok. It seems that some folks needed clarification on rule #5 for the Classifieds. That post has been edited.

Basically, one doesn't make gratuitous comments or have discussions about sale/trade items. However if, as in the case this subject came up, the rifle isn't as manufactured and a potential buyer asks a question about that the answer should be made in the topic. If you want to discuss the model in general, a separate topic should be created in the General Discussion forum. ONE reason for this is that classifieds topics are subject to pruning at any time and all the pertinent points would be lost if the whole discussion took place in the classifieds topic. Another reason is that it is unreasonable to clutter up a classifieds topic with information not germane to the sale/trade. It would help if questions are asked without subjective comments. E.g. "Is this a customized gun?" is more acceptable and easier to answer and follow than a bunch of comments followed by the question. In such cases the question is often forgotten and unanswered to the detriment of all.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

About that 99. It appears to be a 99-375 and if so is not wearing the factory stock. It is a nice stock but not "correct". So far as I know, the standard post-1972 99A is the correct configuration for a 99-375.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like an improvement on the factory rifle.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:About that 99. It appears to be a 99-375 and if so is not wearing the factory stock. It is a nice stock but not "correct". So far as I know, the standard post-1972 99A is the correct configuration for a 99-375.
It still looks nice. But that (the stock/lever) was all I was questioning myself.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Whatever the history, it is really a nice rifle. I think if I were to get a Savage 99, that just might be the kind I'd want.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It's my rifle for sale. I don't think Savage put out any stocks that nice on basic factory guns so I'm sure it's probably custom work, but don't know if some gunsmith did it or perhaps Savage as a customer request. It was part of a collection of very nice Savage 99's including a cased NIB Anniversary model. The Anniversary model is going in one of my gun safes, but I don't have the room to keep everything.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Definitely. Very nice rifle. I'm no judge of value, so I won't comment on the listed price. Suffice it to say I paid 1/2 as much for one that was double ugly.

Still, new stock/lever or no, it's a great gun. My preference is for .358 W but it's still very handsome.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A very nice rifle.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Hobie wrote:About that 99. It appears to be a 99-375 and if so is not wearing the factory stock. It is a nice stock but not "correct". So far as I know, the standard post-1972 99A is the correct configuration for a 99-375.
It still looks nice. But that (the stock/lever) was all I was questioning myself.
Yes, I got that. No problems, I just felt that clarification was needed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JB wrote:It's my rifle for sale. I don't think Savage put out any stocks that nice on basic factory guns so I'm sure it's probably custom work, but don't know if some gunsmith did it or perhaps Savage as a customer request. It was part of a collection of very nice Savage 99's including a cased NIB Anniversary model. The Anniversary model is going in one of my gun safes, but I don't have the room to keep everything.
It should have the straight grip as well if original. This one does not.
Sincerely,

Hobie