For the airplane people.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

For the airplane people.

Post by Marvin S »

Several months ago I posted some pictures of this aircraft when I went to Texas to start taking it apart. Finally got back down there and got it apart. It is now sitting in Kansas and waiting to get put back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: For the airplane people.

Post by Cliff »

Looks like it is moving along. Got to keep a few for the newbies. I saw on the net a Brit, has found a large number (Maybe) 20 new in shipping crates Spit Fires which where ordered to be buried near the end of WWII in Burma, to prevent their capture or use by unfriendly Goverments. Seems this man has been looking for them for around 13 years or more and has spent some serious money. They were packed and sealed in wooden crates for overseas shipment from England to Burma. They had never been unpacked. The underground storage room is forty feet under the surface and topped inside the hold with Teak planks to prevent flooding. They found the place using ground pentatraing radar, then did a test bore hole to confirm it. They were there. Brand new planes, never used. The problem is the Burma Govt. isn't too friendly to him, but he thinks that they can begin digging them out in a couple of years. I wish him the best. The article said there were only about 4 surviving Spitfires still flying. FWIW
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

There are a LOT more than 4 Spitfires still flying!!

Battle of Britain Air Show, Duxford, U.K.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2010/airshow ... eview.html
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Similar to this. I found this looking at the clips liner notes indicating it had been one of our 105s when we were in Japan (Itazuke 63- reference), in addition to many other assignments later on.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en& ... cription=1

EDIT. - Marvin, I meant to ask you if this 105 is one of yours?
Last edited by gak on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

For some reason the utube link wont open. But it did come from Lackland AFB and at one time was flown by the 184th ANG unit at McConnell AFB.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Marvin, I retried and worked for me, but will look at again. In the meantime, type "Itazuke F-105" (no quotes necessary) and scroll down on the resulting page. We got some of the first 105s in the western Pacific IIRC.
EDIT - I misunderstood that the video link within the page I linked won't work for you. Don't know what to say about that :)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There are 35 Spitfires still flying.

And that F-105, if it came from Lackland (Medina).......off a squadron's worth of them on a simulated airstrip? That's old TA-7.... I've guarded that plane, one day in fall of 2005.... :)
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

They where used to train sky cops on a simulated flightline.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Yup, that's old Training Area-7.