POLITICS - Theories on possible gun bans..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sharptop
Levergunner

POLITICS - Theories on possible gun bans..

Post by Sharptop »

Assuming a certain candidate gets elected with party control of both houses here is the way I see this playing out. The repubs will be able to block some things, but look for:

1- an outright ban on sales AND possession of "assault" type weapons which basically would be any semi auto rifle capable of holding a clip and all semiauto handguns holding more than 10, possibly a ban on semiauto handguns altogether. The position will be that it is ok to have a revolver for self defense in your home, but all other types are offensive weapons.

2-an outright ban on individual to individual transfers with more extensive background checks and waiting periods for authorized dealer type sale with additional disqualifiers. For example no firearm ownership if you've ever been convicted of any criminal offense.

3-Federally mandated base training requirements for any state allowed concealed carry holders. They would do away with concealed carry altogether if possible, if not make it impractical.

4-Restrict FFL licenses so as to make it very difficult to obtain with high fees and insurance requirements.

5- All Class 3 weapons illegal.

I don't see this as all that farfetched, especially if done right off the bat in the new administration with all the gleeful hope for "change" and a better tommorow that will envelop Washington and the masses. Why, things will be so much better that there will no longer be a need for firearms in a civilized country.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Look for another back door way to restrict access to ammo and make it prohibitively expensive.

Such as more of the proposed OSHA draconian restrictions on shipping and storage of ammo, powders and primer. Also, look for a nationwide ban on lead bullets. As Kalifornia goes, so goes the nation.

No second amendment violations restricting gun ownership. you just won't be able to find any ammo :twisted:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Sharptop...you may be quite correct in that some sort of ban/restriction will be coming down the pipe. I have ZERO confidence in the Republicans to do much to stop it. That party has too many globalists who agree with the Dems on this. The line between Repub and Demo has really blurred in the last 20 years or so. Look how many times they've gone along with the Left in the"spirit of bi-partisanship". The original AWB wouldn't have passed w/o the help of the good ol' GOP. :evil:

Then again....who knows? Maybe someone in the Republican Party will stand up and show some backbone for once....I ain't holding my breath.
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

:x Ammo boys. Thats their agenda. These guys aren't exactly bright or they would have figgered this one out years ago. Like somebody said if you got nuthin' ta shoot OUT of the thing, then it's just a fence post. Just keep buyin', it'll come soon enough.
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Sharptop:

I see any possibility of the first several options happening, depending on who gets behind it writing the legislation.

As for Full Auto/NFA weapons, I don't see much happening there. NFA weapons weren't on the radar for the 1994-2004 ban, and NFA weapons are not mentioned on the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence web site.

On top of that, NRA weapons are well-controlled, and there's been only one instance of a legally-owned NFA weapon being used in a crime. Further, the ATF has a vested interest in NFA weapons transfers as the law reads at present. The NFA Branch in Martinsburg, VA receives between 200 and 500 transfer and manufacture applications each day. That calculates out to an approximate tax revenue of over $15,000,000 each year. That goes into the ATF budget numbers.

Further, doing away with NFA weapons means that the ATF NFA Branch would be subject to staff cuts, since there'd be only LE-related transfers (yes, LE MGs and SMGs are subject to the same NFA rules and regs that citizens are), and gov't bureacracies tend to expand and fluorish, not shrink.

What I do see is perhaps so called "assault weapons" getting classified as NFA Weapons and subject to the same sort of application process and transfer tax setup in order to own them. Everything would be nice and controlled, and the ATF would have even more tax revenue.

Psst, don't tell them! :wink:

(probably too late already)

All that said, the "quiet" approach is through the ammo supply, including reloading components, as ornery pointed out above.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Hi Noah Zark, the light bulb just came on :?
After that well thought out reply you made, I finally remembered were I have seen your avatar, over at UziTalk! I don't get over there as much as I use to, sold my Uzi and bought lever guns with the cash. That was my only NFA weapon, never had the urge to get another, then after awhile I lost interest in the Uzi. I guess I enjoy shooting one bullet at a time much more than FA. Plus the old lever guns warm the soul.
Glad to see you over here!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Sharptop
Levergunner

Post by Sharptop »

Noah Zark wrote:Sharptop:

I see any possibility of the first several options happening, depending on who gets behind it writing the legislation.

As for Full Auto/NFA weapons, I don't see much happening there. NFA weapons weren't on the radar for the 1994-2004 ban, and NFA weapons are not mentioned on the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence web site.

On top of that, NRA weapons are well-controlled, and there's been only one instance of a legally-owned NFA weapon being used in a crime. Further, the ATF has a vested interest in NFA weapons transfers as the law reads at present. The NFA Branch in Martinsburg, VA receives between 200 and 500 transfer and manufacture applications each day. That calculates out to an approximate tax revenue of over $15,000,000 each year. That goes into the ATF budget numbers.

Further, doing away with NFA weapons means that the ATF NFA Branch would be subject to staff cuts, since there'd be only LE-related transfers (yes, LE MGs and SMGs are subject to the same NFA rules and regs that citizens are), and gov't bureacracies tend to expand and fluorish, not shrink.

What I do see is perhaps so called "assault weapons" getting classified as NFA Weapons and subject to the same sort of application process and transfer tax setup in order to own them. Everything would be nice and controlled, and the ATF would have even more tax revenue.

Psst, don't tell them! :wink:

(probably too late already)

All that said, the "quiet" approach is through the ammo supply, including reloading components, as ornery pointed out above.

Noah
You may well be right, I'm basing my suggestions on some stuff I've read about Obama and his wife supposedly having a conversation about being in a rural area and needing immediate protection because the police are so far away, in their words.

This was a crafted political position, not a recollection of a casual conversation, as all political stuff really is and it offers a window of the approach he may take. I think a well spoken person could sound reasonable to a modern mass culture audience suggesting the changes I listed as well as yours. Hope he ain't reading!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

They'll go after hi-cap mags 1st.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'll state that the first thing that these hoplophobes will go after will be the .50 caliber Browning rifles such as the Barrett and other makes. The ownership of such guns is small compared to the rest of the population and it would be an easier target.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

MikeS. wrote:They'll go after hi-cap mags 1st.
If you have a magazine that holds more than ten rounds in NY, do not pass go,
do not collect $200.00

Unless of course it is a "pre-ban" mag in a "pre-ban" weapon, but the onus of
proof is upon YOU.

Not too many magazines with the date of manufacture that I've seen.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.