BEST BULLET DESIGN FOR 45 LC. VAQUERO

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Montana Outfitters
Levergunner 2.0

BEST BULLET DESIGN FOR 45 LC. VAQUERO

Post by Montana Outfitters »

WHAT HAS WORKED BEST FOR COWBOY SHOOTING WITH FIXED SIGHTS 4 5/8 VAQUERO SHOOTING??????? i AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING BULLETS BUT CASTING DESIGNS????????
Don McDowell

Re: BEST BULLET DESIGN FOR 45 LC. VAQUERO

Post by Don McDowell »

I have not shot any cowboys with my new vaquero, I wouldn advise you not to do that either. They have friends that don't take lightly to that sort of thing.
For the recreational target games, I've found it much simpler quicker and easier to simply load the Remington bulk bullets (buy em 500 at a time) with your favored smokeless powder, or if you want to shoot black simply wipe the base full of your favored bp lube and use a thin wad between the powder and the bullet.
For serious shooting I like to cast the rcbs 260 kt from wheelweights, but they do fill the cylinders to the very end, a tight crimp will keep the gun from jamming if a bullet shakes loose.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use Lee's 255 gr RNFP plain base it seems to cast at 453/454 for me I push it with BP or AA 5744. danny
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like a RNFP bullet with crimp groove in the .45 Colt for CAS.
I am currently shooting Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 RNFP but have used up my supply so I dug out the Lee 200 gr. RNFP mold that I got several years ago and have 500+ ready to go and shot last weeks match with them.
They feed well in my Uberty 73 and seem to smack the targets as good as any.

I would prefer a steel mold for durability but Lyman don`t offer a 200gr.RNFP. I prefer a single large lube groove so maybe I will buy a mold for the Big Lube BP bullet and give that a try.
RCBS also has a nice looking cowboy bullet.

With the 200 gr., over a 250 , every fifth bullet is free! That adds up after a while. :wink: