Just put down half on a new toy during the lunch break...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Just put down half on a new toy during the lunch break...

Post by stew71 »

...for the safe. No, it's not an underlever gun. It's a bolt gun. I've been looking for an barreled action that I could use as the starting point to make a handy lightweight pack gun for Alaska, Nevada, and the Rockies. Something that I wouldn't mind getting used and tossed around but can handle most North American game. Besides, I wanted a winter project gun.

I came across a customized K98 Mauser that was re-barreled and blued but left in 8mm Mauser. It has a so-so walnut stock and a neat Lyman receiver peep sight on it. The trigger is pure joy and someone did a really nice job of chroming the bolt and bolt handle. All I need to do is drill and tap it for scope bases, free-float the barrel, re-blue the bottom metal and fit it with a new recoil pad. I'll re-use that Lyman sight on another rifle. Picked it up for $300.

It appears someone used this as a close-quarters brush gun. It handles like a dream and I can't wait to start working on it.

Pics will follow once it's released from solitary.

I was considering some Savage 99's but they were all over $500 and pretty beat up.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Just put down half on a new toy during the lunch break...

Post by iceman »

Send alon some pics when you get it home. Sounds like a nice project.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd imagine there isn't anything you couldn't do with a good 8mm........ 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Nothing wrong with the 8mm and should just get better if you have to use copper.Mine likes IMR 4064 under the Barnes 180 tsx unfortunately crs prevents me from saying how much powder at the moment.Think I came up with the load off the Hodgdon reloading page.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I like the 8mm cartridge. I used to reload it for a Yugo Mauser that I foolishly sold about 5 years ago. Wish I had that one back.

Good thing I saved all of the dies and supplies.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I've had a few lunch breaks that cost me money also....lol

Sounds like a nice project.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

And it's finally finished.

A custom Mauser 98. I think it’s either a post-war Czech or German-made action. The only markings appear to be civilian in nature. Nothing to indicate it was ever a battle rifle. The stock was so-so with what appears to be hand-checkering. Someone did an okay job. Not the best but it will do. I decided to leave it in it's original 8x57mm chambering since the bore was in great shape. I stripped the old varnish from the stock, re-shaped it to my liking, sanded and finished it with 3 coats of tung oil. Added a new buttpad, grip cap and sling swivels and glass-bedded the action. It was then drilled and tapped for a scope and had the bolt handle modified to clear it. A modified safety completed the package.

Can't wait to see how she shoots. This one just might make the next trip to Alaska.

I think my grand total for this came to around $500 since I already had the scope, mounts and stock hardware on hand.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thats nice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's truly a classic... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Oh yeah, I'd take that one. Nice looking rifle, my kind of purchase/project. Good job!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wow. That project turned out great. Good job!
Old Law Dawg
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Congratulations on the work. Quite a fine job you did on that Mauser 98. First rate!

Makes me a bit jealous, as I've always been attracted to the idea of having one. Especially in 8mm! Being of the sinister persuasion (a lefty), and having as my first "real" bolt action a lefty Savage 110 30-06, I never could get comfortable with a right hand action. Closest similar to a Mauser for me came as a custom, left hand converted, pre-'64 Win. Model 70 chambered in 300 Weatherby. Still sorry I've never given an original 98 a chance.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. Now if I can ever get some range time in the near future, I'll see what she can do.