Final goodbyes when we leave this earth.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Final goodbyes when we leave this earth.

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, reading all this - shouldn't say this so I won't.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I have explained to the wife that when I die, I have left instructions to the effect that a parade should be organised up the main street here. Doesnt have to be much, but get the classic car crowd out, the ballons, the marching girls and some bagpipes, the local school kids can make flags and carry them up road, maybe an elephant if there is a circus handy, you know the story.

Of course that woman has never done a darn thing I ever told her yet...

People on the net and on the forum can be a community too, and if people who are on know you personally then they will spread the word anyway. If there are none that do then you probably were not that prominent member of the that forum community, and people will just think you took up your interest in stamp collecting instead.
(Perhaps that could be a euphensism for cyber-passing. Old such and such has taken up stamp collecting...)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

now Joe you didn't say ashes. You said you wanted your remains buried - no one buries ashes; they are scattered. So I could only imagine this poor little woman tugging on a rope and cursing your name.

The 5 gallon buckets are a good idea. Leave her a saw and she could probably get most of the limbs in two and torso in two more, then your head on a pike.

Actually not too long ago in CA a lady was wandering disoriented down the street pushing a large garbage container - the square kind with wheels. Inside was her boyfriend, in pieces. She got in a lot of trouble because that container is supposed to be for recycled items only.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

One of my exes told many of my friends that if they attended my funeral they would be required to take a drug test. For this test to be reliable the urine must be deposited directly on my grave. :wink:
I am sure some of them would do this if it wasn't required! :twisted:
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

She really loved you Huh?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In 37 years as a Pastor, I have known hundreds of folks who live with all kinds of regrets about what they said and didn't say to folks who have died.

I have learned from that and keep current in all of my relationship. I apoligize freely and express love frequently. When I die, there should be nothing left unsaid. The time to do such things is face to face while you are alive. Communication about the important things in life, should be two way, not one way.

I have done well over 300 Funeral Services and have never told a lie about anybody. Mostly I made very little mention of the deceased unless it was to share a positive personal experience I had with them. Quite often family members want to speak and at times many of them drone on and on. Frequently this took the form of purple prose, social enhancement, and in general trying to make the person bigger in death that he was in life. It took all I had to sit through much of this with a smile on my face and say.."Thank you for sharing that with us.". Other times it was well and tastefully done.

For the Christian, this type of service is not about the deceased anyway, but about Christ, his victory over death and the hope that gives us all. For the person who is not a Christian these types of services are waste of time and the higheth of hyprocrisy. A person should be remembered for what they were and believed and not for what they were not. I have no issues with the person who wants to skip these services and do whatever. We should die with the same integrity with which we lived. Honesty is what it is all about. Lies, pretense and blather never change anything, nor help anybody.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I wonder if a wee bit of your ashes could be mixed in with gun powder for reloads???????????

That way you would be going out with a bang.
All fellow Levergunners could gather and have a ceremony for fellow members that pass shooting off at once (even Pitchy could play the trumpet)
And those that can't make just go wherever able when specified at a certain instructed time and fire one off.
Would if Hobie would store our remains to be sent out as needed????????? :D

Joe,
What I worry about is some day your wife has some business out of town(you croak)and she comes back and the cats have done ate you all up to the point where the amount of your ashes being mixed and only able to fill 1(10ga,3.5")round :o :cry:
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think that would be OK with Joe
" buzzards got to eat to "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago a friend rode funneral escourt as a side job. He got a funneral where a "Gypsey King" died. He was currious how they handeled these type funnerals and slipped in the side wing to observe. All the people filed by the casket and dropped money and pieces of jewlery on the stiff. The widow sat there crying. Then awhile latter he went back to the director to see if the funneral was done yet and seen the widow requesting for the undertaker to step out so she could have a private moment with her husband before he closed the casket. He stepped where she couldnt see him watching. The undertaker stepped out, she walked over to the casket, picked up all the loot and spit on him!
A undertaker called a widow up and requested her to come down and view the dead husband before they had the public viewing. She looked him over and complimented the undertaker on his work but complained that walter never wore a loud suit like that, could they put him in something more conservative? The undertaker assured her they would, and if she would just wait in his office for a little while, they would make the adjustments nessasary. She sat there and evidently the pager mike had been left open. She heard the undertaker call out, "Hey Otto. Would ya go and change heads on #1 and #3 around?"
A high liveing old black gentilman died. He requested in his will that he be buried in his roadmaster. They brought a crane out to the cemetary to lower the buick with him dressed in a fine suit and derby hat into a huge grave. He was sitting upright in it with a stoggie sewed in his mouth with a good supply of shine alongside him. A couple of his old pals sat there watching and one said to the other, "Now maaan, dats liveing!"
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

madman4570 wrote:I wonder if a wee bit of your ashes could be mixed in with gun powder for reloads???????????

:
One of my cousins had a portion of his ashes loaded into some shotshells. MC, during the memorial, proceeded to fire them in Mick's favorite O/U at intervals, thereby "celebrating the life of___________"

Yawn.

(I suspect the gun needed cleaning afterwards.)
Last edited by airedaleman on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

airedaleman wrote:
madman4570 wrote:I wonder if a wee bit of your ashes could be mixed in with gun powder for reloads???????????

:
One of my cousins had a portion of his ashes loaded into some shotshells. MC proceeded to fire them in Mick's favorite O/U at intervals, thereby "celebrating the life of___________"

Yawn.
I can think of a few people that would deserve to be shot in the azz with my ashes in a shotshell :twisted: :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know that whole ashes thing - I don't think of them as that sacred. There are probably just Kingsford from the grill. Could be a big scam there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:You know that whole ashes thing - I don't think of them as that sacred. There are probably just Kingsford from the grill. Could be a big scam there.
It's cheap, and that will mean more $$ in daughter's pocket when I go :wink: Heck, Potter's Field is good enough after you've gone.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cremation is a scam. And I really believe that. You put a body in a cardboard box and stick it in an incinerator. Then you scoop out a pile of ashes, put 'em in a box not even as big as a half gallon ice cream box, hand 'em to the next of kin and charge them hundreds of dollars.
(NOTE: The above is not an exaggeration, it is my personal experience with my mothers remains. Yes ashes are remains.)
Once I got the ashes I looked at them then asked the lady: "Is this it? Is this all 73 years of life is reduced to? I couldn't believe, and still don't that the small box of ashes I got back were all that were left.
Maybe from the cardboard box, but not from a whole person.
But that was my mothers wishes and I made sure she got them.

To the deceased it really won't matter. Once their spirit has flown it won't care a bit about it's previous earthly home.

The sad thing is that cremation is still cheaper than having the body embalmed and burried.

Mescalero,
That hill you mentioned sounds good, AZ or NM?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

New Mexico Joe,
And I promise you, no one will ever bother you.
It is where I go when I need to get right with the universe, saved my posterior many times over the years.
You know what a high stress gig I had.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J Miller wrote:Cremation is a scam. And I really believe that. You put a body in a cardboard box and stick it in an incinerator. Then you scoop out a pile of ashes, put 'em in a box not even as big as a half gallon ice cream box, hand 'em to the next of kin and charge them hundreds of dollars.
(NOTE: The above is not an exaggeration, it is my personal experience with my mothers remains. Yes ashes are remains.)
Once I got the ashes I looked at them then asked the lady: "Is this it? Is this all 73 years of life is reduced to? I couldn't believe, and still don't that the small box of ashes I got back were all that were left.
Maybe from the cardboard box, but not from a whole person.
But that was my mothers wishes and I made sure she got them.

To the deceased it really won't matter. Once their spirit has flown it won't care a bit about it's previous earthly home.

The sad thing is that cremation is still cheaper than having the body embalmed and burried.

Mescalero,
That hill you mentioned sounds good, AZ or NM?

Joe
JMHO-------
You wanna save even more money????????
Once you die(say you died in your home, you only need the Coroner to come to your home and pronounce whoever dead.)
After that pack em up in the pickup/wagon and you take the body directly to the crematorium.

You will save $1500-$1700

Also, if you have enough land(I do)can just be buried out back in the garden! (total cost $120-$150)Coroner fee

Only thing cheaper than that is just get planted as soon as your dead by family member (and they say,heck I don't know where he/she is???????) :lol:

JMHO-----------
Check your local/state laws before planting someone!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In N.M., after coroner pronouces death.
24 hours to get them in the ground, no interference.
Remember the caskets I built?
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

When I hear of cremation and ash scattering, I think of a late 1990’s comedy movie -- possibly it was “The Big Labowski.” One of the characters dies and is cremated. His friends scattered the ashes, all the while not taking notice that the wind blew towards them…. :o :o

Once asked a pathologist about cremation and the process. The Saw Bones said that it takes about two hours at 900 degrees plus. There is not much left after the furnace automatically shuts off. Anything that is not ash is run through the bone crusher and pulverized to a very fine texture.

The Neptune Society is about the cheapest cremation service available. A few years ago, a friend told me his father signed up and paid approx. US$300.00 for the cremation services.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm sure my brother will let you know if I am called home. I'Ll be watching over you guys should that happen. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

This has been one of the more humorous threads lately.

Chris
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now how about the body farm where they study corpses that are just left out to rot. Get some Kingsford ashes and go out and scatter them yourself - scattered ashes sure aren't important - can't see that that is anything to get all emotional about. Seems like foolishness to me.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Having been the recipient of one of these boxes, I can tell you it is definitly not all ash.
There are recocnizable bone parts in the mix.
From the emotional standpoint, OS is right.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, the bell tolls for you; the dead cannot hear it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I never opened the box Mom's ashes came in. It was nicely packaged with her name and information on it. I left it as it was and got it burried where she wanted it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It was not like I expected......at all.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

When we scattered my uncle's ashes a scorched but fully intact (and presumably functional) key clunked out on the ground. Amidst an otherwise thoughtful and poignant moment, the first thing that came our minds was "secret safety security box?" :) Hey, we needed to lighten the moment and that did it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gak wrote:When we scattered my uncle's ashes a scorched but fully intact (and presumably functional) key clunked out on the ground. Amidst an otherwise thoughtful and poignant moment, the first thing that came our minds was "secret safety security box?" :) Hey, we needed to lighten the moment and that did it!
Skeleton Key? :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pieced together - Ed. correction - Richard Harris on Tonight Show:

Pat and Mike had been drinking buddies and friends for years. After having a few drinks in a bar, Mike said to Pat -"We have been friends for years and years and if I should die before you do would you do me a favor? Get the best bottle of Irish whiskey you can find and pour it over me grave."
Pat replied, "I would be glad to do that for you my old friend. But would you mind if I passed it through me kidneys first?" :)
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had a lady friend that died and had no one but me. I took her ashs with me on a deer hunting trip to spread off a peak in the piutes . OS knows where that is. I was saying the lords prayer as I was spreading them and there was a rifle shot maybe 60 yards away. I hadnt seen any vehicles in the area, I walked around and never saw a person!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Skeleton key??
--Blaine

Touche' !!....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

El Chivo wrote: You said you wanted your remains buried - no one buries ashes.

You're wrong there !

My fathers will states that he wishes to be creamated and then the remains of our 3 Border Terriers be exhumed creamated and put in the urn with him and he then wants the urn buried beside my mother in the cemetary .

So NEVER say never .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:You know that whole ashes thing - I don't think of them as that sacred. There are probably just Kingsford from the grill. Could be a big scam there.

Funny you should mention that .

Again in my fathers will he states that he wishes to have an observer either family or friend at the creamatorium watching him being turned to ashes . Kinda morbid to my way of thinking but my father never was much for bullshite .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

J Miller wrote:Cremation is a scam. And I really believe that. You put a body in a cardboard box and stick it in an incinerator. Then you scoop out a pile of ashes, put 'em in a box not even as big as a half gallon ice cream box, hand 'em to the next of kin and charge them hundreds of dollars.

I dunno about IN or wherever you may be , but I have a friend that owns no less then 4 Funeral Homes and he told me typically a creamation cost a couple hundred dollars more then a decent mid price range funeral with casket etc .
He also told me typically when they creamate someone they get the aforementioned ashes and generally a piece of the spine is left . And of course he said they dispose of the spine remnants and not include it in the ashes .
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In my experience ashes/cremains are more often buried or placed in a columbarium than scattered.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and if you really don't want to leave, will your body to a medical school where they can preserve you. Maybe your skeleton will end up standing guard in the corner of a classroom.

About the key, did he swallow it, or store it rectally?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

6pt-sika wrote:

I dunno about IN or wherever you may be , but I have a friend that owns no less then 4 Funeral Homes and he told me typically a creamation cost a couple hundred dollars more then a decent mid price range funeral with casket etc .
He also told me typically when they creamate someone they get the aforementioned ashes and generally a piece of the spine is left . And of course he said they dispose of the spine remnants and not include it in the ashes .
I don't know about IN or IL either although I live in IL. My Mother died in AZ and we had her cremated there. Cost just a bit over $300.00 IIRC. Then when we got back here it cost pretty much the same thing to have her burried at the foot of her dads grave.

What embalming and burial would have cost I don't know, I never checked. I just followed her wishes.

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I first moved back to N.M. we had two deaths in a row, I managed to save the families thousands by building the caskets and getting them in the ground in 24 hours.
RJohns I think should remember the incident.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:

6pt,

The guy(funeral home owner) is pulling your leg dude (I believe).
When wife's mom passed (I talked to the Medical Examiner)about this stuff.(he said a lot we hired/could have done our self)was he issues statement of death.
I just picked a State out of the blue and check below.
Take in consideration also that actual only required tasks that have to be done by (other than you)is #6 and #7
Most Crematories offer(very modest cost)an arranged transport of deceased from where ever they passed to crematory.($100)
If its from a private home etc(you can do it)

The Urn (as long as it is considered by the Crematorium )a sealed container can be anything.(example--a plywood box with top screwed on.They will fill that box.
I will say,there are some nice marble fancy urns to be had($200)that are nice if it makes family members feel better/worth it.(but again can be a sealed wood box screwed together.

Can be done if need be for around $350-$400

Remember funeral home owners don't want people to know this cause they would suffer with their business.
And their again different places might have different laws???
But bottom line----most places the Funeral Home can be 100% left out! :wink:

JMHO (take it just as that)

Example:
http://www.michiganfuneralhome.com/cremation.htm

In fact some of you guys want to start a business ???????????
And I mean a very profitable business????????????

I have figured out an exact formula mixture that when applied with melted(recycled glass)bottles/jars/window panes what ever glass that turns the glass into a hardened substance(like granite)think what is glass actually????----Sand!

All I need is to get with someone to make a hi-temp furnace and some various sized molds.
and the headstones----all out of recycled glass??
Think how cheap you could sell headstones??????????????
Different colors/shapes/sizes and they would last(as long as stone)
With the coloring you could have a black headstone that would look like onyz.(could have a pitcure of loved one inserted in a clear one etc. You get the drift. Actually I found this special hardener formula by accident and again a section of this is actually stronger than marble.
Could sell custom headstones for $300 or $400 and the marker companies would be crying in their soup.
That is something that has been on my back burner(have already talked with Cornell University about this) :wink:

With different molds can make anything!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Me, I'm going out like Slim Pickens.... No ashes left.

YEEE HAAAAWWW ! :shock: :twisted:

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now I am going say what I think here - can't take it anymore. Don't care about convention but going to have the body cremated - to be cheap - then - going to get all emotional and self important over where "the ashes" are going to be spread with great self importance. Now the body you have lived in all this time is of no importance BUT - THE ASHES - oh my God - they are sacred and where they are "spread". What a ton of hypocritical BS from people who aren't that way. What the F is this about?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS,
Don't hold anything back, tell us how you really feel.
P.S. I agree wholeheartedly, the pomp and ceremony is for those left behind, the departed don't know and don't care.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jeez dude, have you no respect for the ashes of the dead?

I'd figure most guys here would want to be loaded into .30 WCF cartridges and whack a deer or six...
About Us

We offer a way to honor your deceased loved one by giving or sharing with him or her one more round of clay targets, one last bird hunt, or one last stalk hunt.

The Concept

Several years ago I was talking with my friend and co-worker at work one evening. We were discussing the passing of one of our relatives and the topic of conversation turned to our own demise and whether we preferred burial or cremation. I told my friend that I had some cost, waste of space and ecological issues with burials and that I thought I wanted to be cremated and in some fashion, have my ashes tossed into a river or spread through the woods.

My friend smiled and said "You know I've thought about this for some time and I want to be cremated. Then I want my ashes put into some turkey load shotgun shells and have someone that knows how to turkey hunt use the shotgun shells with my ashes to shoot a turkey. That way I will rest in peace knowing that the last thing that one turkey will see is me, screaming at him at about 900 feet per second."

I realized that my friend was describing almost exactly how I wanted my ashes to be spread. How perfect to have my family and friends honor me by using shotgun shells with a little bit of my ash in each one. Whether my shells get shot at sporting clays or live birds or put on the shelf, even in death I could be ecologically sound and useful.

From that statement, we started a company that can take your or your loved ones ashes and produce an eco-friendly way to spread or use those ashes while conducting a favored activity.
With care and reverence, we can place the ashes of your loved ones into almost any caliber or gauge of ammunition.

The Reality

Holy Smoke is a company that was started by two state law enforcement officers. They have successfully transformed their model working relationship (as game wardens) into another successful working relationship as co-owners of Holy Smoke LLC.

Holy Smoke realized there was a need for an individual's choice in how his or her life could be remembered or celebrated. What better way to be remembered than in a celebration of a life well spent.

A second important need is cost concerns for the decedent's family. The services provided by Holy Smoke are a cost effective memorial for your outdoors person.

A third and equally important need was for the end result to be ecologically friendly and sound. There is a much smaller ecological footprint caused by our service.

Now you can have the peace of mind that you can continue to protect your home and family even after you are gone.

Holy Smoke LLC is committed to helping people celebrate a life through our services.

Should you have any questions or need any clarifications, please feel free to ask us though our Contact Page or simply call us at (251) 232-4414 or (251) 213-1211. You will be under no obligation, and we will do everything we can to assist you with your request.
http://myholysmoke.com/

:twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No I have no respect for ashes and I think it is total nonsense - am I not being clear here? Total BS. What the hell are people thinking that ashes are what they "respect"?

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:No I have no respect for ashes and I think it is total nonsense - am I not being clear here? Total BS. What the hell are people thinking that ashes are what they "respect"?
Sarcasm Fred... Sarcasm. :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Of course OI, platform, friend, platform - you of all get it!

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I told my wife when my times comes I want my ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean outside Kailua Bay. There is a treated sewage outfall a mile offshore from the Marine Base- perfect location. I told her to just flush my ashes down the toilet and I will eventually get there with the least amount of fuss and effort. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I told my better half that I would like to go out like Brad Pitt in "Legends of the Fall" where he was killed by a griz and his bones just scattered-----for real.

It cost my sister and me $12,000 to bury my Dad and my Dad paid $11,000 for bury my Mother. My parents believed in the traditional burial---THATS a scam and the funeral parlors know it.

I can't see where the ones I leave behind have to sell some nice guns to put me in the ground. stupid, stupid, stupid.

I say down to the burn pit, throw me in and pile a mess of logs on top and don't even worry 'bout the ashes. ------------Sixgun
1890 Colt Cavalry 90% Condition…100% Original
Gold Star Letter From Kopec. One of the Finest Known
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now there you go!

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Both my parents hated all the fuss about funerals. Neither one wanted a burial or a service. They were both cremated at their request for if a recall correctly about $700.00. They did not even want fancy urns. My dad said to just dump the ashes in the stream in the backyard or anywhere else close by, didn't matter to them. From dust they came and dust they returned. I still have their ashes in a the plastic boxes they came in from the funeral home, not sure what to do with them. Back in April of 2008 on the anniversary of what would have been their 58th wedding anniversary all siblings came here for a family reunion and celebration of my parents life together which I think they would not have minded too much though they both hated attention.

My inlaws on the other hand are pretty obsessed about the whole funeral thing getting the best plot, having a extravagant service, yada yada yada, their choice. My father in law had been paying into a funeral insurance policy since 1989 and just learned that company went under, and he lost all the money that he paid into it. He'll be paying more than he expected in the end. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

It is not her ashes but my Mother's last wishes I respected.

My mother wanted to be cremated and have her ashes burried at the foot of her fathers grave. After she died I respected her wishes and had that done.
I never opened the box her ashes were in. No idea if they were hers or just ashes from someones fire place. Don't care.

I respected HER last wishes. That's all that counts.

If she had asked me to flush them I would have done it.

Joe