Another Winter Range day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Another Winter Range day

Post by 2ndovc »

Was a Balmy 20 degrees this a.m. but the sun was out and no wind.

Took out my Win. 95 in 35 WCF, Lithgow No. 1 MK III and Webly MK VI.

Load for the 95 was Sierra 225 Sptz., Bertram brass and 47 Gr. Varget ( i'm becoming a big fan of Varget).

For the Lithgow I found a guy that was making 200 gr. LRN GC bullets and had to try them. W/ once fired Greek surplus brass and 21 Gr IMR 4198 I got a pretty good group at 50 yds and just a little to the right of the point of aim.
I used to shoot tons of cast bullets as a kid. My Grandfater made thousands of 45s, 38s, '06 and 257 Roberts. Forgot how much fun they were until I started hanging around here. :D

I shot some Factory Hornady .455s on the Webly. Still shooting at 50 yds but the ammo seemed to be inconsistant. Deffinate difference in felt
recoil from one shot to the next. But the Old Girl is still capable of "Minute of German" at 50yds. :D

Just nice to get outside and do some shooting.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Good report. I love that comment: "minute of German", that's funny.

I wish I could try some cast out of my No4 Mk1 but it's barrel looks like 26" of old pitted water pipe. Casualty of WWII's corrosive ammo and combat care I'd bet.
Some day I'll rebarrel it if I ever find a correct Long Branch barrel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good on ya! Been off the last 3 days & haven't crawled outside the truck except for the necessities. Headed for a warmer cime today, maybe I'll shake whatever has me in its grip!

Glad to see someone's taking up my slack!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice pics..Neat guns..Looks like great fun.. & I'd wager you had the place to yourself to boot!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Holy smokes that has to be one of the nicest No1's I have ever seen how does she shot FMJ's?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I agree with jeremy, that is a beautiful rifle!!! Joe, why not try so cast in yours, may just fool you and turn out just fine!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Marlin .35 wrote:I agree with jeremy, that is a beautiful rifle!!! Joe, why not try so cast in yours, may just fool you and turn out just fine!! Art
Art,
You know I could. One of these days I'll slug that old two grove pipe and then I'll know what size bullets I need to look for. I suspect the throat is burned out pretty bad though. And might mess things up pretty bad.
Besides, the worst thing that could happen is a barrel full of lead.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

J Miller wrote:
Marlin .35 wrote:I agree with jeremy, that is a beautiful rifle!!! Joe, why not try so cast in yours, may just fool you and turn out just fine!! Art
Art,
You know I could. One of these days I'll slug that old two grove pipe and then I'll know what size bullets I need to look for. I suspect the throat is burned out pretty bad though. And might mess things up pretty bad.

Joe
Joe,

I'd be happy to send you a few to try. I'm going to order more soon as well as some .308s. It might surprise you. I have a 92 in 44-40 that has a bore w/ some pot hole size pits and it shoots surprisingly well

I used to have @ 20 Enfields and have thinned it down to six. This one is dated 1942 and has been FTR'd ( Factory Thorough Repaired) by the Australians. It has always been my favorite 303. I have another Lithgow that's all original right down to the 'Roo on the stock.

8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow Hornady are still loading .455 :shock: I allways thought it was sweet to shoot a Webley .455, gentle.
Good photo's and you too have good tastes Sir :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nath wrote:Wow Hornady are still loading .455 :shock: I allways thought it was sweet to shoot a Webley .455, gentle.
Nath.
Thanks Nath..
Hornady brought the 265 LRN back a few years ago along a few other odd ball / hard to find military calibers like 9mm Styer, 7.65 Argentine and some others. Have had pretty good luck reloading the .455 with 250 gr. .45Colt bullets. It is a fun round.

Hey Jeremy, I missed your question earlier. Shoots really well with Hornady 174 gr. JSPs. Seems to like the heavier bullets.

8)

dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

nice guns you got there like that 1895 but whats a 35win?
havent seen one before
that lithgow no.1 mk111 is a fine looking weapon
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

35 Winchester Center Fire (WCF) wasn't one of the more popular 95 rounds. Basically the same case as the .405 Winchester necked down to .358 cal. This one belonged to my Grandfather.
Finding brass is a PAIN but she's a pretty good shooter. Got a heck of a thump to it as well. One of these days I'm going to have to take it hunting!

8)

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You may as well shoot targets with those firearms because you sure as heck can't take those out hunting.......don't you understand they are OBSOLETE?!?! :wink:

That old 455 would be something to plink with! A buddy of mine had an old RCMP S&W in 455 and we used to play "nick the can" with it. We would take turns with a can set out about 15 feet in front. You each shoot your 6 rounds and see who can get it furtherest down range. Loser has to buy the coffee!

The way to win was to aim right where the ground and can met, pop it up in the air and then hit again in the air. It sounds easy but it takes a lot of practice. I managed to do it maybe 4 or 5 times over the years but Denny could usually do it once every 6 rounds.

I bought a lot of coffee.

Wm
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:
J Miller wrote:
Art,

Joe
Joe,

I'd be happy to send you a few to try. I'm going to order more soon as well as some .308s. It might surprise you. I have a 92 in 44-40 that has a bore w/ some pot hole size pits and it shoots surprisingly well

I used to have @ 20 Enfields and have thinned it down to six. This one is dated 1942 and has been FTR'd ( Factory Thorough Repaired) by the Australians. It has always been my favorite 303. I have another Lithgow that's all original right down to the 'Roo on the stock.

8)
Art,

Mines a 1943 Long Branch. It's been FTR'd too, although I have no idea by who. They did a fair job I guess, nothing special. All the original numbers match except the bolt and magazine. I've had it somewhere about 30 years now. Once some years ago the barrel unscrewed itself. That would have been the time to rebarrel it if I'd had a new barrel. I ended up using RED LocTite to keep the barrel in. Worked, so I"m not complaining.
It had a British bolt in it. Later I switched that out for a correct Long Branch bolt. I'd love to find a new, or much less used Long Branch bolt to put in it. This old battle rifle has had lots of use.

What kind of bullets are you talking about? I'm not to knowledgeable about cast bullets in rifles. Only used them in hand guns.

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

2ndovc wrote:
Nath wrote:Wow Hornady are still loading .455 :shock: I allways thought it was sweet to shoot a Webley .455, gentle.
Nath.
Thanks Nath..
Hornady brought the 265 LRN back a few years ago along a few other odd ball / hard to find military calibers like 9mm Styer, 7.65 Argentine and some others. Have had pretty good luck reloading the .455 with 250 gr. .45Colt bullets. It is a fun round.

Hey Jeremy, I missed your question earlier. Shoots really well with Hornady 174 gr. JSPs. Seems to like the heavier bullets.

8)
It should have a 1/10 twist so heavy bullets are where its at. My 2 grove No4 hates the boat tail factory and Milsurp bullet (looks like a shotgun patern) but loves 180grn plain base. I will have to get some cast and give it a try.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

35wcf sounds like an great cartridge thanks for the description