OT - Attention Glock Owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Attention Glock Owners

Post by ohwin94_61 »

mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Thanks for the info. I have a 19 and a friend has been thinking about getting a 20 something. I think this will turn him around!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Read #6
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This subject has been hashed and rehashed on the internet. Glocks are dangerous, just send all yours to me to be properly disposed of. :roll:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not trying to offend anyone!!! But, some obscure website says, and I'm paraphrasing here but " Using remanufactured ammunition of unknown quality, or reloads with improperly seated or cripmed bullets may be dangerous" . Doesnt that kinda go with out saying? Don't most owner's manuals state that the use of hand loaded ammunition may void warranty.

These guys must really be on to something!, i'm going to trade in my Glocks right away they may be dangerous!

Not trying to be a jerk here guys but what a crock!
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I have seen a blown Glock. I have also seen a blown Super Blackhawk, Model 29, and seen pictures of a blown Freedom Arms.

Sometimes guns let go, but there is usually a good explanation. As many Glocks as there are in this country, of course there will be more blown Glocks seen than blown Wildeys.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Jeff, thank you for being the voice of reason; as always.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I have seen a blown Glock. I have also seen a blown Super Blackhawk, Model 29, and seen pictures of a blown Freedom Arms.

Sometimes guns let go, but there is usually a good explanation. As many Glocks as there are in this country, of course there will be more blown Glocks seen than blown Wildeys.
+1

Basic rules for Glocks:

(A) They are designed as Police Duty/SD guns - in both cases using Reloads is bad Mojo. Use Factory/OEM only.

(B) Cartridge/chamber seating is CRITICAL on a Glock. If you don't keep your chamber clean (case mouth crud ring) it's gonna fire out of battery one of these days and give you a KB.

(C) If you MUST use reloads for practice, don't use a Glock Barrel. Barrels are cheaper than frames.

(D) .40 S&W is already at the limit of its pressure curve with factory am
amo. It doesn't take much error to KB a .40. See (A) (B) & (C).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to put down Glock owners YOU ALL took it wrong I was trying to be helpful I had no idea this is old information SORRY GEES O" PETE KISS MY BUTT
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

ohwin94_61 wrote:I'm sorry I wasn't trying to put down Glock owners YOU ALL took it wrong I was trying to be helpful I had no idea this is old information SORRY GEES O" PETE KISS MY BUTT
I personally do not own a Glock, but they are good weapons. No offense taken at all. Some shooters can blow up anything.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Yeah there gun owners now that they didnt like what I said they would like to use there guns on me :shock:
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

you all

Post by ohwin94_61 »

You all took it wrong
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

ohwin, dont worry about some of the comments. Its a good thread. I think alot of these blown out GLOCKS are more from problems with the gun rather than some jackass screwing up the powder charge while reloading. I have kicked around the idea of getting me one on several occasions. I just cant bring myself to do it when there are so many guns made of wood and steel left on the market. Smiths and 1911's can be had for about the same money.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Image :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sure hope they had on good shooting gloves. That gun looks like it hurts when it comes apart!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Image :shock:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

ohwin94_61 wrote:I'm sorry I wasn't trying to put down Glock owners YOU ALL took it wrong I was trying to be helpful I had no idea this is old information SORRY GEES O" PETE KISS MY BUTT
I didn't take it wrong. It was a good reminder.

My Glock is a workpiece and nothing else. It's not a gun I enjoy, but it is accurate and as long as I follow the rules it has been a dead reliable gun.

Would I prefer somthing else? Yeah, but I don't have the $$$ for the custom gun I would prefer to carry.

But don't sweat it. I took nooffense at all.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jaguarundi: That looks like a G27 that fired out of battery... True?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Glock link gives some good info

Post by afish4570 »

I own a Model 17 but havent shot more than 1000 rds. thru it. The guy I bought it from is a master class shooter and has loaded at 15,000 rds. for it on a Dillon 1050. Gun performs great and remember the Model 17 was the first . The IDPA shooters I know try to adhere to keeping gun clean and not shooting hot loads. They make the 125 power factor. Use clean burning powder (usually Vita vori sp) 320 or Titegroup (not as clean). A few hav e Lone Wolf barrels ($100) option that better supports brass than factory and can be shot with lead if desired. Last week one of our guys had a almost new Berretta M92F that had a chunk of brass blow out just above the rim at 6 oclock. Blew the slide back and a burst of gas etched the frame just behing the trigger, jammed up the cartridges in the double stack mag and generally scared us all due the close proximity of onlookers (shooters waiting for their turn). I watched as they examined the aftermath and the brass seems to have just failed (hopefully just that --a bad case). Reassembed and inspected and shooter was able to shot the next relay without incident. Several years ago one of my friends had a 226 Sig with Russian steel case ammo let loose. I was 15 ft. behind him and the RO when I heard a largeBOOOOOM,Flash The gun was completely destroyed the rails split open a 1/2 in. wider than frame,slide almost blown off gun, all unfire shells blown out the bottom of the mag. The pacmayer grips with the metal insert saved him from injury. The steel case blew a tinnie winnie speck cut his cheek and his hand quivered from the blast but in minutes was ok......Gun sent to Sig....Sig said it was ammo.Gun sent to importer at time (was not Wolf) books said xxxxxarsenal. A waiver not to sue and 3 months later a new Sig was shipped........Could have happened to any gun I guess. That is why eye protection is so important. Ask any of the pistol guys shooting steel plates and you'll see what I mean. afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I think it has a lot to do with the amount of glocks out there, I belive they are the best selling handguns in the country and have been for some time. I have a glock and I have faith in it. I shoot my older smith and ruger wheelguns nine out of ten times when I go rec shooting. I cary the glock when trout fishing and gold panning as well when I am at work. If the glock wasn't a safe handgun 65% of police agencies would not be carrying a glock 22. They may be the ugliest plastic bottom feeder around but they simply work.

Im not trying to step on any toes on this so please don't take it wrong :)
Break on through to the other side!!!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Old Ironsights,those photos were emailed to me from Ohio(dated 10/07) with a short statement "a few pics of my friend's pistol that came "apart".He did not lose any fingers and suffered just cuts and bruises. Another shooter on the line did get a chunk of brass in his neck. Glock replaced the pistol at no charge - no questions asked. Only the slide was reuseable. The base of the case failed and actually peeled the feed ramp downward. It was a midsized .45 pistol. He still has and shoots Glocks.The ammo was a reload. He swears it wasn't a double charge. Possibly a weak case. You can see the flap blow out at the base of the case. When it happened, he was scared to look at his hand. he wasn't sure it was still there!" end of quote.Another friend sent me this bit of info-"Our dept. received a notice/warning from Glock that repeated unloads and reloading of factory ammo might cause this. (Dropping a round in the chamber and releasing the slide.)
It was advised to load from the magazine only vs. dropping a round in the chamber and releasing the slide. They believe the bullets are getting deformed causing them to fail if your repeatedly loading the same round without the magazine.At any rate that was the warning we go about a year ago."Food for thought.Reloading safety! :shock:
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Glock link gives some good info

Post by afish4570 »

I own a Model 17 but havent shot more than 1000 rds. thru it. The guy I bought it from is a master class shooter and has loaded at 15,000 rds. for it on a Dillon 1050. Gun performs great and remember the Model 17 was the first . The IDPA shooters I know try to adhere to keeping gun clean and not shooting hot loads. They make the 125 power factor. Use clean burning powder (usually Vita vori sp) 320 or Titegroup (not as clean). A few hav e Lone Wolf barrels ($100) option that better supports brass than factory and can be shot with lead if desired. Last week one of our guys had a almost new Berretta M92F that had a chunk of brass blow out just above the rim at 6 oclock. Blew the slide back and a burst of gas etched the frame just behing the trigger, jammed up the cartridges in the double stack mag and generally scared us all due the close proximity of onlookers (shooters waiting for their turn). I watched as they examined the aftermath and the brass seems to have just failed (hopefully just that --a bad case). Reassembed and inspected and shooter was able to shot the next relay without incident. Several years ago one of my friends had a 226 Sig with Russian steel case ammo let loose. I was 15 ft. behind him and the RO when I heard a largeBOOOOOM,Flash The gun was completely destroyed the rails split open a 1/2 in. wider than frame,slide almost blown off gun, all unfire shells blown out the bottom of the mag. The pacmayer grips with the metal insert saved him from injury. The steel case blew a tinnie winnie speck cut his cheek and his hand quivered from the blast but in minutes was ok......Gun sent to Sig....Sig said it was ammo.Gun sent to importer at time (was not Wolf) books said xxxxxarsenal. A waiver not to sue and 3 months later a new Sig was shipped........Could have happened to any gun I guess. That is why eye protection is so important. Ask any of the pistol guys shooting steel plates and you'll see what I mean. afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was researching over on Glocktalk.com and found a picture of a Glock that someone had dry fired 10's of thousands of times by best estimates. The breach face was actually knocked out of the slide from the repeated hammering it took while unsupported.

Just one more example showing that nothing can be made fool proof because fools are so resourceful.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

After seeing two dozen+ glocks(the vast majority of my class) go through 1k of ammo each a couple weeks ago, I never saw any actual failures. I did sweep up lots of once fired brass(factory ammo) that showed signs of incipient case head failure. Lots of big bulges there and it all came from glocks. There were a lots of close calls that wouldn't have take much grit in the barrels to make them fire just enough out of battery to rupture. Some of those glocks were manufactured with very oversize chambers. I even showed some brass to an instructor and his comment was: that's normal. Personally, I would send a firearm back to the manufacturer if it produced cases like that.

I've never owned a glock, but I've shot quite a few, and the ones I fired didn't make cases like that. I've owned lots of pistols of various kinds and never saw cases that looked like that out of any of them.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is chapter 2 in my mental pamphlet titled: Why big slow bullets in a nice low pressure load are better
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

BlaineG wrote:This is chapter 2 in my mental pamphlet titled: Why big slow bullets in a nice low pressure load are better
Dean just added this page: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/case-bulges.html

More valuable information:http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html
Slow is just slow.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I remember hearing about .38 Supers having issues (super face), and we had folks shooting themselves with .38 Special wheelguns back when too.

And we still have folks saying that handloads are not reliable - Dillon sells a lot of equipment, and those pro IPSC shooters train a lot & depend on every round to go bang.

If folks knew how many car crashes there are, we might go back to horses...
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt