savage Model 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

savage Model 99

Post by joachim slim »

when i was at cabelas today i seen a usefd model 99 with a detachable clip. the guy said it was a new remake. when did these come out?
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

It looks like the 99 came out with a clip magazine in 1965.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Ram Hammer wrote:It looks like the 99 came out with a clip magazine in 1965.
That's correct and it's ironic, perhaps, that it was made in 2 models 99C (clip) and 99CD (clip, deluxe) but not chambered for the most popular 99 caliber, the .300 Savage! I'm curious as to the condition and price...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There were a few 99s made much more recently, maybe 8 years ago. I saw one at the local shop.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Old Savage, You are right on the money as my reference book says they were produced in this version until right about that time frame. I had read for years that the 99 was a non-catalogued (and expensive) custom ordered rifle from Savage until not too awfully long ago.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'm curious about the 99 E I scored last year...Made in 1960..300 Sav. cal. It's the 20"carbine model...Anybody have any idea on how many modern era carbines were produced, Or how long they were offered?
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I'm curious about the 99 E I scored last year...Made in 1960..300 Sav. cal. It's the 20"carbine model...Anybody have any idea on how many modern era carbines were produced, Or how long they were offered?
Ben, The "E" late model was produced in 3 barrel lengths: 20, 22, and 24" and ceased production in '82. Sorry, no info on how many were 20". I own an "E" with a 22" barrel, myself. Is yours Hardwood vs. walnut too?
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

edsguns...Hardwood.. but thankfully w/o the cheesy impressed checkering..

I scoped it with a 1.5-5x Leup w/dot reticule...Unlike the feather weight.. it has a stiff 20" barrel..I think the Late model E carbine is about perfect.. modern metallurgy..& I don't have to fish my thumb under the scope to reach the dang safety..I can easily cycle the lever w/o my thumb leaving the grip too!
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Here's my .284 rifle and the magazine release. Yes, I agree Ben ... I have walnut and the checkering on mine is cheesy but it was what all the companies were using then.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Ben, Very nice rifle. Mine does have that cheesy checkering, but it looks MUCH better after my refinishing job! By the way, I think all "E" models are hardwood. I'll send u a couple pics if you PM me with your email addy. Mine came with an off-brand scope, a 4x Jana(made in Japan). I actually saw a 99E advertised for sale recently with a 4x Jana, same scope, and emailed the seller wondering what he could tell me about that scope. No reply.... It's crystal clear now after some clean-up and re-focussing. It's a dot/crosshair reticle.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Heck edsguns, why not post those pics here if you can..Not meaning to knock any one's rifle..I'd of took one with the impressed checkering( happy w/o it tho..) for the deal I got on this one last year...$400..I posted about it when I first got it..I said it was like new..I'm even more positive about that now because wear marks are beginning to develop on the bolt & in the action.. & the trigger is getting better..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I kinda like the tang safety guns... Had to have at least one. :wink:

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Hobie, Is that a peep mounted on a weaver scope base? If it is...pretty da*m neat!
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Hobie, isn't that a Williams sight? Base is countoured to fit receiver tang.
Handsome little riflr. Wish I had one. My 99EG in .300 Savage is long since gone. Paid for one of the kids...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

here are 3 of mine .. the manlicher is a 99C ... in 7mm-08
never really cared for the action .. it doesn't load as smoothly
as the rotary mag.

the other 2 . one 99F in 300sav and a 99E rebarreled from 308
to 358win .. (cheapest way to get a 358 in a 99 :-)

I just received a 99F my Honey had rebarreled from 308 to 7mm-08 ..

sorry no pic's of it ....

Love My 99's ...

Talon

bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

I've got a 99F in .308win ,and it has a good bit of recoil .

Nothing like a .375H&H but real close!

Bob :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

edsguns wrote:Hobie, Is that a peep mounted on a weaver scope base? If it is...pretty da*m neat!
That is the Williams Foolproof for the tang safety 99s. Uses the scope mounting holes and has a relief hole for the cocking indicator pin. I pulled the Weaver bases.

Here's the other side (click on pic to see my short write up on the gun).

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

It's funny I see this today. I was at my friendly local gunshop over the weekend and put a 99E on layaway. It's in .308. The blueing is about what Hobies looks like and the action was butter smooth with a pretty nice trigger. It has the pistol grip stock and the impressed checkering. I was also considering rebarreling it sometime after I get it, but I think I'll shoot it awhile first.

My personal rebarrel options would either be .358 win or .260 remington. I wanted a 99, and thought this might be the time as the price was very fair, and they're not going to get any cheaper.

I'm thinking that rebarreling isn't going to hurt the value that much. Can anyone give me any links to gunsmiths that specialize in the 99, or isn't that a requirement. ie: can or do most smiths work on them. I don't know because of the rifles configuration they may have some special requirements.
de k8bor

Dave
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Guys..all nice rifles....Hobie..22" barrel? I'd be alright with a tang safety feature if I went with a metallic sight on the 99..I've got the tang safety on my scoped 7x57 Ruger 77 & love it.. no interference on that one